home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Has anyone used a freelance website for audio/music

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Has anyone used a freelance website for audio/music

Postby weezy on Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:34 pm

A few months back there was an article in TapeOp about SoundBetter. It sounded somewhat interesting, I checked it out. Yay, more shitty music business leeching.....it's free to use, but they take a cut if you conduct business through them. Want better chances, bigger and better gigs? You have to pay them a not-trivial amount of cash for a Premium account, in order to bid on potential clients, but only 10 bids max are allowed each month......oh, sorry, they have too many engineers right now, so they aren't allowing any new Premium accounts.

I am trying out fiverr right now and it's pretty much the same shit show. So I've wasted my time so you don't have to...
weezy
hindu
hindu

Re: Has anyone used a freelance website for audio/music

Postby bart favre on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:17 am

I can say from a customer standpoint it is kind of cool in my experience. I saw a link to Todd Tobias (Robert Pollard, Circus Devils) for budget mastering for the working man. I hit him up and now he's worked on a couple projects for me. It worked out great, but I can't say that the thought hasn't crossed my mind to just cut out the middle man and hit him up directly. I suppose it is a good way to cross paths with new customers that you wouldn't normally as an engineer/mixer/masterer.
bart favre
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby Frank Decent on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 pm

I was frustrated and used a music blog that charges for reviews. They say they don't publish negative reviews, so If they like your record, you'll get a review. But they charged me $35 bucks. I feel really gross. I get the feeling everything they come across is "good". I'm trying to look at it as a paid advertisement, rather than an actual insightful critique of my music. Not doing it ever again, though. I feel gross about it.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby the finger genius on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 am

I had started a fiverr account a while back thinking if shit gets bad I can always make a few bucks playing the drums. Turns out everyone else plays the drums too, so a. it really is a "few' bucks and b. there are so many people on there, there's not much business even with my rate set pretty low.

Things have picked up this month a bit after completing my first few jobs and getting positive reviews, so we'll see?

https://www.fiverr.com/share/ZowKV8
cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby 154 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 am

Frank Decent wrote:I was frustrated and used a music blog that charges for reviews. They say they don't publish negative reviews, so If they like your record, you'll get a review. But they charged me $35 bucks. I feel really gross. I get the feeling everything they come across is "good". I'm trying to look at it as a paid advertisement, rather than an actual insightful critique of my music. Not doing it ever again, though. I feel gross about it.

I bet I know which one you're talking about. They wrote to me thru a bandcamp project last year. I said 'fuck it' because it was just a few bucks, and it's probably a few fledgling writers on the other end, not some corporation. The writing was decent quality and they actually listened to it, but if a tree falls in the woods.. got a handful of clicks out of it basically. Pretty harmless, but yes also icky and I wouldn't do it again.

Hooray for the gig economy.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Return to Tech Room