home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby MrMattDiehl on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm

yard barf wrote:Nabbed a late 60's/early 70's EBO yesterday off Chicago craigslist for a hundred bucks. It has a headstock repair that was well done, and the pick guard is chipped by the horn, but it is otherwise in fantastic condition!

Image


That is FUCKING NUTS. I thought I had some good ones, but... OWNED.
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby TylerSavage on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:23 pm

JESUS.

This thread has really helped me rein in the gear problem. I don't even think about contacting anyone unless I think there's a chance it could hang with some of this. The EBO now puts it over the top. I'm not much of a haggler, but I've got some crazy deals in the past from old people that I can only rectify in that they were happy someone would actually play it live
User avatar
TylerSavage
museum trash
museum trash
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby MrMattDiehl on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 am

TylerSavage wrote:JESUS.

This thread has really helped me rein in the gear problem. I don't even think about contacting anyone unless I think there's a chance it could hang with some of this. The EBO now puts it over the top. I'm not much of a haggler, but I've got some crazy deals in the past from old people that I can only rectify in that they were happy someone would actually play it live


I hate haggling so much. If it seems appropriate, I say, "If I was to haggle, what would be the amount you'd be cool with." And not trying to throw shade on this miraculous manna from the heavens that is this $100 EBO, but I often say to the person if I think something is wildly undervalued, "Dude, you're offering me this for $200 & it's worth $1,000. I'm happy to give you $200, & can't afford $1,000, but full disclosure."

Most people, however, usually sell it to me for the $100 even when I say this. I have a guy who fixes my watches who's done this so many times. One time I could tell a watch was special & he said, "You can have it for $45. Just tell me what it is when you find out." Next time I saw him, I told him it was a $1,000 watch. Later, he sold me for $100 a watch that would be $700-$1,000 & was absurdly rare.

That said, I didn't blink when the guy said I could have the 1979 Gibson T-Top humbucker for $40... But I felt like he knew what it was enough that he'd had to have Googled it...

Weirdly, I always assume $10-$20 is expected to be shaved off the price on Craigslist unless they say "price is firm." I myself price things as such because I expect people expect that adjustment. But lately I'll ask if they'll take $10-$20 and people get a little pissy... And then give it to me anyway for $10-$20 off. Am I incorrect in my behavior here?
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby elisha wiesner on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 am

MrMattDiehl wrote:
I hate haggling so much.


I can't stand haggling but it's pretty much expected with used gear. I buy/sell a lot of stuff and unless I put something up on here or Facebook and sell to a friend, I always have to inflate the price a bit to make room for the inevitable haggling.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby Tommy on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 am

MrMattDiehl wrote:Weirdly, I always assume $10-$20 is expected to be shaved off the price on Craigslist unless they say "price is firm." I myself price things as such because I expect people expect that adjustment. But lately I'll ask if they'll take $10-$20 and people get a little pissy... And then give it to me anyway for $10-$20 off. Am I incorrect in my behavior here?


You're not wrong, but I'd say 10-20%. Most people ask for 20% and settle on 10% off. I price my craigslist stuff accordingly or put FIRM when I feel like I'm bottomlining it.
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby yard barf on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:04 am

MrMattDiehl wrote:And not trying to throw shade on this miraculous manna from the heavens that is this $100 EBO, but I often say to the person if I think something is wildly undervalued, "Dude, you're offering me this for $200 & it's worth $1,000. I'm happy to give you $200, & can't afford $1,000, but full disclosure."

Most people, however, usually sell it to me for the $100 even when I say this.

I've had the same experience. I will flat-out ask someone why they are selling it so cheap. So many people just want the thing gone and couldn't be bothered with shipping it, or even pricing it correctly, and I totally understand that. What I hear so often is, "these are worth a lot of money." Even the dude who sold me the EBO was telling me how they sell for over a thousand dollars at Chicago Music Exchange. I told him I thought the headstock repair looked good. The fact that you can see the crack seemed to put him off. He thought I should get it redone. A headstock repair really bothers some people. For me, it's often how I can afford to buy a great guitar.

elisha wiesner wrote:
MrMattDiehl wrote:
I hate haggling so much.


I can't stand haggling but it's pretty much expected with used gear.

Yeah, it's a drag sometimes, but like you say, it's how used stuff is sold.

My favorite haggling angle when buying from a store is, "have you had it a long time?" If it just came in, then they're not likely to drop the price much anyway, and if it's been on the shelf for a long time, it kind of wakes them up to the fact that no one is biting on their price. And it's a polite inquiry.
User avatar
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby endofanera on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:46 am

Tommy wrote:
MrMattDiehl wrote:Weirdly, I always assume $10-$20 is expected to be shaved off the price on Craigslist unless they say "price is firm." I myself price things as such because I expect people expect that adjustment. But lately I'll ask if they'll take $10-$20 and people get a little pissy... And then give it to me anyway for $10-$20 off. Am I incorrect in my behavior here?


You're not wrong, but I'd say 10-20%. Most people ask for 20% and settle on 10% off. I price my craigslist stuff accordingly or put FIRM when I feel like I'm bottomlining it.

If I think something is priced fairly, I typically don't haggle at all anymore.

If it is like most stuff on CL, where people want too much for crap, I typically start either just below market or at 30-35% off their asking price, expecting to get it for 25% off. 10% off isn't even worth the struggle unless we're talking a really high-priced item that's worth it, more or less.

Anyway, that's my experience from years of pre-CL and eBay used gear buying and selling. Most important thing is to be willing to walk away if you can't get the price you want. If you are not willing to walk away, you're just torturing all involved for no reason.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
User avatar
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5027
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby elisha wiesner on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 am

The psychology of gear haggling probably deserves it's own thread but this one is probably pretty good for it as well. One of the things I've noticed from years of selling gear is that there is a type of person who has to make the last offer. Has to shave an additional couple bucks off at all cost. They'll go back and fourth with you on ebay and then when you assume that the deal is done, they'll make an offer $5 under where you are. I mean, I don't think anyone needs to save 5 bucks on a $900 guitar but people try to do it all the time. I think it's so they can somehow justify the purchase, consciously or otherwise. They can somehow feel that they got the upper hand in a negotiation or something. It's strange but it happens quite a bit to me. I don't have this urge as a buyer.

Another thing I can't stand is a seller on Reverb or Ebay who has accepts best offers but doesn't really. There's a guitar on ebay right now that I kind of want. It's $500 or best offer and has been up for over 20 days. I made a $400 offer on it, which is 20% off and was fully expecting a counter offer of $450, which I would have paid. Instead of a counter offer the seller just turned down my offer. That was 2 weeks ago and the guitar is still listed. I am no longer interested. Now I'll turn down super low ball offers all day long but 80% of asking price isn't low ball. It just seems weird to me that someone would offer a best offer but not want to negotiate when a totally reasonable offer is made.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4199
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby eliya on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 am

I never haggle when the price is right, but if something is listed 20%-30% over what I think it's worth then I haggle. It's funny because it's this cyclical thing where sellers expect haggling so they overprice a little bit, and then someone like me, who otherwise wouldn't have haggled, sees it and haggles back to the "original" price.

With that being said, I always send people with BIN (but no offers) auctions a message asking if they'll sell for less and a lot of the time they do.

elisha wiesner wrote:They'll go back and fourth with you on ebay and then when you assume that the deal is done, they'll make an offer $5 under where you are. I mean, I don't think anyone needs to save 5 bucks on a $900 guitar but people try to do it all the time.


Now that is insane.

elisha wiesner wrote:Another thing I can't stand is a seller on Reverb or Ebay who has accepts best offers but doesn't really.


That has happened to me a few times to, where people just decline a legitimate offer without a counteroffer.

People are weird.
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7618
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby benadrian on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:05 pm

In some ads I put in short haggling stories.

Like, "I'm asking $50 for this pickup, so you can give me $40 and I'm cool with that." Another one might be, "Guitar is $400 and this is a post-haggling price. I was going to put it up for $500, but everyone would just offer $400, so I've just gone ahead and included our haggling in the current price."
User avatar
benadrian
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5996
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby JohnnySomersett on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 pm

benadrian wrote:In some ads I put in short haggling stories.

Like, "I'm asking $50 for this pickup, so you can give me $40 and I'm cool with that." Another one might be, "Guitar is $400 and this is a post-haggling price. I was going to put it up for $500, but everyone would just offer $400, so I've just gone ahead and included our haggling in the current price."


I do this too. I find it a) tends to make people laugh and b) works every time
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
User avatar
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am
Location: UK

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby MatthewK on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 am

elisha wiesner wrote:there is a type of person who has to make the last offer. Has to shave an additional couple bucks off at all cost. They'll go back and fourth with you on ebay and then when you assume that the deal is done, they'll make an offer $5 under where you are. I mean, I don't think anyone needs to save 5 bucks on a $900 guitar but people try to do it all the time. I think it's so they can somehow justify the purchase, consciously or otherwise. They can somehow feel that they got the upper hand in a negotiation or something.

Had some guy wanting to buy a couple of SD jazz bass pickups from me last year - I offered the as-new set for a little less than one pickup would cost new. Guy asks to buy them, then when setting up payment, asks for a little off, sure I don't mind. Then, how about I pay postage ($10 range). Heavy sigh, I guess, whatever. Pays. Then writes to let me know that express mail is only $5 more if I wouldn't mind doing that instead of standard postage. He received a refund shortly afterward. I still have the pickups, unsold, but I enjoy looking at them now.
User avatar
MatthewK
duke ellington
duke ellington
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Tasmania

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby Tommy on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am

MatthewK wrote:
elisha wiesner wrote:there is a type of person who has to make the last offer. Has to shave an additional couple bucks off at all cost. They'll go back and fourth with you on ebay and then when you assume that the deal is done, they'll make an offer $5 under where you are. I mean, I don't think anyone needs to save 5 bucks on a $900 guitar but people try to do it all the time. I think it's so they can somehow justify the purchase, consciously or otherwise. They can somehow feel that they got the upper hand in a negotiation or something.

Had some guy wanting to buy a couple of SD jazz bass pickups from me last year - I offered the as-new set for a little less than one pickup would cost new. Guy asks to buy them, then when setting up payment, asks for a little off, sure I don't mind. Then, how about I pay postage ($10 range). Heavy sigh, I guess, whatever. Pays. Then writes to let me know that express mail is only $5 more if I wouldn't mind doing that instead of standard postage. He received a refund shortly afterward. I still have the pickups, unsold, but I enjoy looking at them now.


Ha. Wow. Absolutely the right move. Fuck that guy. A whole new meaning for give an inch and they'll take a mile. WTF, people?!

I'd have probably said, "How about I just set them on fire and force you to go through the whole contesting payment scenario?"
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby MrMattDiehl on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 pm

Dude had a beautiful all-maple Strat MIM neck just like I needed up on eBay. Bidding was up to $60. I wrote him a note & said if he changed it to "Buy It Now" I would pay $85, bring him cash immediately, & pick it up locally. He said yes, & was a super cool dude. The neck is fucking amazing. I am psyched. He gave me a great deal & was a nice person.
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby JohnnySomersett on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Boss RE-20 listed on evilbay as broken for £50
Works perfectly, idiot obviously hadn't plugged a cable into the right socket.

Should turn into a nice £100 profit
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
User avatar
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am
Location: UK

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Just picked this up mere minutes ago:

Image

1965 Ludwig kit, 13/13/16/20 in Sky Blue Pearl, with cymbals, hardware and Supraphonic snare in original, nearly unplayed shape, for $200.
The seller was a scrapper/picker and found it by the side of the road with the trash last week and though it was too nice to just leave there. I saw his CL ad about 15 minutes after he posted it, and he was located 3 miles away from my office.
Last edited by Nate Dort on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby weezy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 pm

HOF
User avatar
weezy
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: in a free LAN

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby offal on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Get the entire fuck out of here, Nate.

I am losing my mind with jealousy. Incredible.
User avatar
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Seriously though it was a scam post at first, but dude called me back about 5 minutes later.
User avatar
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2888
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Craigslist/eBay Bragging thread, pt. 2

Postby Tommy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Nate Dort wrote:Just picked this up mere minutes ago:

Image

1965 Ludwig kit, 12/12/14/20 in Blue Sky Pearl, with cymbals, hardware and Supraphonic snare in original, nearly unplayed shape, for $200.
The seller was a scrapper/picker and found it by the side of the road with the trash last week and though it was too nice to just leave there. I saw his CL ad about 15 minutes after he posted it, and he was located 3 miles away from my office.


HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Amazing. That is a stone cold brag.
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests