home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What gear do you want right now...

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:21 pm

I also like those Jensen Mod speakers. Good value.
VaticanShotglass
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby J. Burns on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:13 pm

A couple decent mic pres. Nothing fancy, just a Golden Age fake-73, or a Warm Audio fake API.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby ogpuprison on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:00 am

I'm after an old behringer v amp pro, the blue rackmount thing. Don't laugh.. ..had a borrowed one for years, spent ages getting my head around it, seemed ok to me. They seem rare these days, or maybe people realise that, compared to today's multieffects boxes, they're easier to use... ..and so folks hang onto them. Anyway if anyone knows of one for sale, and is prepared to ship to the uk, I will buy.....
ogpuprison
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 am

J. Burns wrote:A couple decent mic pres. Nothing fancy, just a Golden Age fake-73, or a Warm Audio fake API.

Now you’ve also got the option of a Warm Audio fake-73.
MrWarandieBoy
"nick the greek" dandolos
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby free meat on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 am

EV RE20.
A good dirt cheap mic pre, maybe a M-Audio DMP3.
A good cheap compressor, maybe a FMR RNC.
Traynor TS10, for permanent side-of-the-couch residence.
free meat
baron munchausen
baron munchausen

Postby Mason on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am

I dreamed last night that I was poking around at a forum member's garage sale, and came across an Altec sampler/cassette multitracker. It had the sampling capability of an SK-1, pretty much, but could output directly to cassette. And it was a rackmount, vacuum tube, forest green Altec.

Someone get on this for me.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby barndog on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:16 am

elisha wiesner wrote:I want a classical guitar pretty badly. Been listening to a ton of classical guitar and am kind of in love with the sound. I think it could be fun to have one around and maybe even take some lessons. Unlike steel string guitars though, I know next to nothing about classical and have no idea what to look for. Since there is nothing for sale locally, I think the next time I'm in Boston or New York, I might try to spend an afternoon playing them just to get an idea of what I like and dislike.

Kinda late to this, but Cordoba makes some really good entry level classical guitars. A C7 will run you about $500.00 or so. I've played a few at Guitar Center and they sound pretty great. Some of the early Yamaha guitars are nice and cheap as well - I have a G-240 II that I paid $250 for a long time ago and it still sounds great. I see them on craigslist every now and then for around that range.

I've been playing classical for a while now - I'm probably going to drop some $$$ on a real nice one in the coming months. It's about all I play now.
barndog
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:18 am

Simple AB switch. Want to try to have kind of a two channel setup -

A - rangemaster > normal input of AC30 set kind of clean to play nice with the neck pickup. Set correctly you can roll down the vol further on the neck humbucker to clean up without it getting too muffled.
B - top boost input of AC30 set for sheets of distortion to play well with the bridge and middle settings

On their own each setup sounds very good. I guess the trick would be to find out if I can find a compatible EQ setting that works well with both

I have a little passive Radial pedal that might work, but if I can find a one switch pedal for cheap that only does A or B I will be happy.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Simple AB switch. Want to try to have kind of a two channel setup -

A - rangemaster > normal input of AC30 set kind of clean to play nice with the neck pickup. Set correctly you can roll down the vol further on the neck humbucker to clean up without it getting too muffled.
B - top boost input of AC30 set for sheets of distortion to play well with the bridge and middle settings

On their own each setup sounds very good. I guess the trick would be to find out if I can find a compatible EQ setting that works well with both

I have a little passive Radial pedal that might work, but if I can find a one switch pedal for cheap that only does A or B I will be happy.

Beware of phasing issues! The normal and top boost on an AC30 are out of phase. Depending on the pedal chain running into either you could have problems.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 pm

If you’re just switching from one input or the other would that still be a problem? That’s what I want to do, not both at the same time.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Oh, ha, no not a problem. I assumed you wanted both at once.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby twelvepoint on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm

I want a Sid/Dee Dee P bass. Don't want to spend more than 600. A parts replica would be totally fine but looks like an allparts neck and body would be more than a real Fender mexi p bass. Any bargains out there for bodies and necks?
twelvepoint
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 pm

twelvepoint wrote:I want a Sid/Dee Dee P bass. Don't want to spend more than 600. A parts replica would be totally fine but looks like an allparts neck and body would be more than a real Fender mexi p bass. Any bargains out there for bodies and necks?

Sometimes you can buy used complete basses made from nice Warmoth parts for way cheaper than if you bought it a piece at a time. The resale value for used Warmoth stuff is actually kind of high. May require some work if it was put together by a twerp.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby twelvepoint on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:19 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
twelvepoint wrote:I want a Sid/Dee Dee P bass. Don't want to spend more than 600. A parts replica would be totally fine but looks like an allparts neck and body would be more than a real Fender mexi p bass. Any bargains out there for bodies and necks?

Sometimes you can buy used complete basses made from nice Warmoth parts for way cheaper than if you bought it a piece at a time. The resale value for used Warmoth stuff is actually kind of high. May require some work if it was put together by a twerp.

I'll keep an eye out for those. I really don't want to be in a position where I go the parts route and ignorantly get a neck where the holes don't match the body or something, so might just be better all around to just get a mexi p bass?
twelvepoint
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby garthplinko on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 am

I really want to replace the 100% GARBAGE P85 strainers on my blackrolite and supra. I have replaced the one on my Vista snare (which is my favorite and most-used) with a P86. It's fine...but the fucker bit my finger once at a show and while all the blood was super hardcore and all it was still quite a stinger.

So I see one of these Atlas snare strainers on a new production Supra and it's NICE. Googling it I'm finding mixed model #s. But they don't apparently have them available for individual resale anymore or at all or whatever. I guess they're not NEW new - been out since 2015 and some how I missed it but not carried anywhere. BLEH

And no, I don't want one of those Dunnett ones - they look great, but stick out way way too far and would probably prevent my snare from even going in its case.
garthplinko

Postby TylerSavage on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am

Played a Death by Audio Apocalypse at NAMM and was very satisfied with the fuzz sounds. definitely felt like a 'if you need more than one fuzz pedal on your board, just get this one. Didn't really want to shell out $200+, but it's probably worth it. Heard Aaron Turner playing one in Sumac and it sounds great.
TylerSavage
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby PEPPER! on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am

garthplinko wrote:I really want to replace the 100% GARBAGE P85 strainers on my blackrolite and supra. I have replaced the one on my Vista snare (which is my favorite and most-used) with a P86. It's fine...but the fucker bit my finger once at a show and while all the blood was super hardcore and all it was still quite a stinger.

So I see one of these Atlas snare strainers on a new production Supra and it's NICE. Googling it I'm finding mixed model #s. But they don't apparently have them available for individual resale anymore or at all or whatever. I guess they're not NEW new - been out since 2015 and some how I missed it but not carried anywhere. BLEH

And no, I don't want one of those Dunnett ones - they look great, but stick out way way too far and would probably prevent my snare from even going in its case.

post whatever you end up going with - the one on Julia's blacrolite snapped years ago and it only works because of the fortuitous shape of the jagged metal where it broke. I was just going to order another P85 next week and be done with it but if there are options let's have options.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Tommy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:46 pm

PEPPER! wrote:
garthplinko wrote:I really want to replace the 100% GARBAGE P85 strainers on my blackrolite and supra. I have replaced the one on my Vista snare (which is my favorite and most-used) with a P86. It's fine...but the fucker bit my finger once at a show and while all the blood was super hardcore and all it was still quite a stinger.

post whatever you end up going with - the one on Julia's blacrolite snapped years ago and it only works because of the fortuitous shape of the jagged metal where it broke. I was just going to order another P85 next week and be done with it but if there are options let's have options.

How's the P88?

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=426801
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Mason on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am

I need to round a few things out on the recording side, but I think I'm content as far as music-making equipment goes. What I need to focus on is getting the things I do have into full working order.

Sunn Alpha: Eminence Swang Thang (that was a typo but I'm leaving it because it's no dumber than the actual name)
Jazzmaster: proper hard case, Mastery hardware
Univox: look into filling body cracks with wood glue
Ric bass: one of those Slinger straps if it turns out it's annoying to bear for the length of a show/practice, because why did every manufacturer in the '70s decide their instruments should weigh the same as an aircraft carrier

and I keep thinking I should have a flanger around for use on a For Overdubs basis, so I'll probably find a shitty flanger and put that out of my mind finally.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby garthplinko on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:28 pm

PEPPER! wrote:

DON'T order that P85. At least get a P86. MUCH better. I like mine ok on my vista, but it bit my finger as I mention above so you have to keep your fingers away from it. You also NEED to put threadlocker on all the threaded parts otherwise it WILL fly apart into bits.

Yeah, this I think is the new(ish) ATLAS one that I saw on that Supra. Have also seen it referred to as a P85AC. FM FourOClocker mentioned they should be available for individual purchase here in April. Going to try one and see how it goes and if it's bad, I'll just get P86 (and be more careful).
garthplinko

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room