home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What gear do you want right now...

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby ldopa_chicago on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:04 am

I don't lust after guitars much these days, but this Waterslide Guitars guy's stuff is pretty great:

Those gold foil humbuckers are real sweet too.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Tommy on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 am

J. Burns wrote:
VaticanShotglass wrote:
J. Burns wrote:Re: tele pickup

Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue.

Enough output for big dumb rock, very little ice-pick but still sounds like a Tele.

What do you like paired with it in the neck?

I rarely use the neck pickup on any guitar, especially a Tele, so probably the wrong guy to ask here.

This doesn't answer your question, but I've been wanting to build a guitar for a long time utilizing my two favorite pickups: Telecaster bridge and Jazzmaster neck. I'd probably have to split the difference with pots at 500k though, so it might end up being a compromise of both. Still really want to try it!
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby benadrian on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Tommy wrote:This doesn't answer your question, but I've been wanting to build a guitar for a long time utilizing my two favorite pickups: Telecaster bridge and Jazzmaster neck. I'd probably have to split the difference with pots at 500k though, so it might end up being a compromise of both. Still really want to try it!

I actually put 250k pots in my Jazzmaster. I found that it responded much more how I expected after the mod. So I'm sure you could get away with 250k pots.

I then changed the pickups to Filtertrons and put in 500k pots. THat also works great. A Jazzmaster with Filtertrons is a really well balanced guitar.
benadrian
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Snowblinder on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm

For some reason lately I haven't been feeling my handwired Vox AC30. I think once I picked up my current Traynor YBA-1, which has exactly the sound I want, the Vox just lost some of its appeal. Currently I'm seriously considering letting it go and replacing it with something else. I'm very intrigued with a few different amps, including the Fender 59 Bassman reissue, a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (the Custom channel is supposedly similar to a Bassman and demos I've watched sound awesome). Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing (my Traynor is brutally loud, which I don't mind at all but my bandmates sort of do).

I need to go try all of these out. The biggest issue is that my wife LOVES playing through the AC30. Might be a hard sell to convince her to let it go.
Snowblinder
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Tommy on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am

Snowblinder wrote:Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing

I bought a '79 JMP 2204 a few months back and LOVE it. That said, I also love my AC30 clone, which sounds different but definitely gets into driven Marshall territory when turned up halfway+.
Tommy

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Tommy wrote:
Snowblinder wrote:Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing

I bought a '79 JMP 2204 a few months back and LOVE it. That said, I also love my AC30 clone, which sounds different but definitely gets into driven Marshall territory when turned up halfway+.

Don't ever sell the '79 JMP 2204. That's your keeper.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby twelvepoint on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm

If your wife digs an amp of yours DO NOT SELL!
twelvepoint
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby TylerSavage on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Snowblinder wrote:For some reason lately I haven't been feeling my handwired Vox AC30. I think once I picked up my current Traynor YBA-1, which has exactly the sound I want, the Vox just lost some of its appeal. Currently I'm seriously considering letting it go and replacing it with something else. I'm very intrigued with a few different amps, including the Fender 59 Bassman reissue, a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (the Custom channel is supposedly similar to a Bassman and demos I've watched sound awesome). Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing (my Traynor is brutally loud, which I don't mind at all but my bandmates sort of do).

I need to go try all of these out. The biggest issue is that my wife LOVES playing through the AC30. Might be a hard sell to convince her to let it go.

The traynor circuit takes this Master volume style very well http://www.vilo.net/ppimv/ppimv.jpg

Otherwise for anyone that wants a JMP, here's a combo for $500 Shipped with a broken power switch. 6L6s, fuck yeah.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-GARNET-T ... 2312759376

My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204, except it has a thicker clean sound.

I would buy this in a second if I didn't already have more than I can use

$870 shipped with mojotone speakers
https://reverb.com/item/3776131-garnet- ... w.ds&pla=1
TylerSavage
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm

TylerSavage wrote:
My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204

Marshall... Deputy..., get it?

Snowblinder wrote:
considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally,

Uh, really? Where is it?

:D
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby yard barf on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 pm

TylerSavage wrote:Otherwise for anyone that wants a JMP, here's a combo for $500 Shipped with a broken power switch. 6L6s, fuck yeah.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-GARNET-T ... 2312759376

My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204, except it has a thicker clean sound.

I would buy this in a second if I didn't already have more than I can use

Jesus, that's a fine deal! $460, shipped. The Deputy kicks so much ass.
yard barf
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm really hankering for some pickups for my les paul. The ones in it sound nice, but I'd like something brighter with a little more clarity in the neck and a little less nasal in the bridge. I can always get those sounds with get good Gibson sounds with my other guitar, anyway.

I doubt there much that is affordable to mess around with. I was thinking about some Bill Lawrence L-600 or similar humbuckers, but those don't appear to be made anymore. The other other idea was to find some scaled down version of the Fender Wide Range humbuckers. They are pricey and not exact replicas (I don't care about that) but a few makers build them now.

It's mostly academic until I get back to playing more, but it's something I've been in the mood for for a while now.
VaticanShotglass
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Redline wrote:TylerSavage wrote:
My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204

Marshall... Deputy..., get it?

How did I miss that?!
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby endofanera on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:49 am

Redline wrote:Don't ever sell the '79 JMP 2204. That's your keeper.

Truth. I sold two of them about 20 years ago in a pre-moving purge and have regretted not keeping at least one (the better one, there's always a better one) ever since.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Redline on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:30 pm

https://reverb.com/item/15284802-1978-m ... -lead-head
Wahhh, they're not $350.00 any more....
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby TylerSavage on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Facundo wrote:
Redline wrote:https://reverb.com/item/15284802-1978-marshall-jmp-2204-50-watt-master-model-mk-ii-lead-head

get a real JTM

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=jtm60

I bought that exact amp when I was 18 because of the name confusion
TylerSavage

Postby garthplinko on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Thinking about some small 10 or 12" subs for stage. Wouldn't be needed at venues where there's actual PA, but who in the world ever gets to do that?

I could also put this in my live PA for the drummer monitor so they can have some kick in their monitor and actually feel it.

Seems like there's a lot of options out there now but also looks like I have to throw down some serious cash just to give some guts to the electronic stuff.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Redline on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Facundo wrote:
Redline wrote:https://reverb.com/item/15284802-1978-marshall-jmp-2204-50-watt-master-model-mk-ii-lead-head

get a real JTM

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=jtm60

No way. I have no use for "bedroom volume" amps that aren't practice amps, or moded Marshall amps with "FEEL" knobs. Fuck that crap... It's all or nothing.

That's how I roll, yo...
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Redline on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

garthplinko wrote:Thinking about some small 10 or 12" subs for stage. Wouldn't be needed at venues where there's actual PA, but who in the world ever gets to do that?

I could also put this in my live PA for the drummer monitor so they can have some kick in their monitor and actually feel it.

Seems like there's a lot of options out there now but also looks like I have to throw down some serious cash just to give some guts to the electronic stuff.

Electro-Voice ZX1. Not Powered. But it won't blow up on you. 600 bucks American....

Still cheaper than the powered B&W's in my home stereo, but not by much.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby garthplinko on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Redline wrote:
garthplinko wrote:Thinking about some small 10 or 12" subs for stage. Wouldn't be needed at venues where there's actual PA, but who in the world ever gets to do that?

Electro-Voice ZX1. Not Powered. But it won't blow up on you. 600 bucks American....

Still cheaper than the powered B&W's in my home stereo, but not by much.

The ZXA1-sub is one I've been looking at. Also the ELX200-12S.

Seems like the main one that gets people excited is the Yorkie PS12S. I'm kinda considering that one even though it's REAL salty - but if it as loud and deep as the few reviews I could find say and it ends up getting me out of moving 18's, I'm all for it.
garthplinko

Postby Redline on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Moving 18's

Would see that math-rock synth band...
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room