home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What gear do you want right now...

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby evanrowe on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Tommy wrote:
evanrowe wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
evanrowe wrote:The bridge pickup has died in my ‘95 MIM Telecaster. What has worked for y’all?

NB:

1. I would prefer to not spend a shit-ton of money if possible
2. I am a drummer

OK, GAMYF!


Larry Cragg, Neil Young’s guitar tech has Lindy Fralin make these special pickups that are just hot enough to be suitable for rock and are super well balanced. Very open sounding. A bridge pickup would run you about $90.00 if that is in your budget. They’re my favorite pickups for a Tele. If you’re interested you can write him through here: http://www.vintageinstrumentrental.com


I saw your earlier post about these, but didn't know whether they were generally available. Thanks very much!


I love my Fender Nocaster bridge pickup. Not sure if it is available outside of the set, but if so it has a lot of mid punch but still sounds like a Tele. If I was looking in general I'd get something around 9k with a baseplate.


Also great info, thank you!

I think I'll go pretty cheap this time; the tele isn't the "main" guitar and I hopefully have some pedal purchases in the not-so-distant future, and I should also keep in mind that I play the GD drums.
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".


Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
User avatar
evanrowe
david hockney
david hockney
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Durham NC

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby kazoozak on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 pm

A Bastl Kastle v1.5 for making weird noises between and during songs.
User avatar
kazoozak
has seen it all
has seen it all
 
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Garlic City, CA

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby J. Burns on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Re: tele pickup

Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue.

Enough output for big dumb rock, very little ice-pick but still sounds like a Tele.
User avatar
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby total_douche on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:19 pm

http://www.cheesyguitars.com/jolana_star9.html

:smt007

You know, I have a busted Norma neck sans headstock. I was going to scarf a new headstock on it someday and build a guitar around it. I might have to mimic this funky thing here.
User avatar
total_douche
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:11 pm
Location: Hastings, MN

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:31 am

J. Burns wrote:Re: tele pickup

Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue.

Enough output for big dumb rock, very little ice-pick but still sounds like a Tele.


What do you like paired with it in the neck?
User avatar
VaticanShotglass
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Transient

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby J. Burns on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:
J. Burns wrote:Re: tele pickup

Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue.

Enough output for big dumb rock, very little ice-pick but still sounds like a Tele.


What do you like paired with it in the neck?


I rarely use the neck pickup on any guitar, especially a Tele, so probably the wrong guy to ask here.
User avatar
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby richardsalino on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 am

I want a motherfucking H3000. Nothing sounds like that box.
User avatar
richardsalino
fan
fan
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby ldopa_chicago on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:04 am

I don't lust after guitars much these days, but this Waterslide Guitars guy's stuff is pretty great:
Image

Those gold foil humbuckers are real sweet too.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
User avatar
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2853
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby Tommy on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 am

J. Burns wrote:
VaticanShotglass wrote:
J. Burns wrote:Re: tele pickup

Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue.

Enough output for big dumb rock, very little ice-pick but still sounds like a Tele.


What do you like paired with it in the neck?


I rarely use the neck pickup on any guitar, especially a Tele, so probably the wrong guy to ask here.


This doesn't answer your question, but I've been wanting to build a guitar for a long time utilizing my two favorite pickups: Telecaster bridge and Jazzmaster neck. I'd probably have to split the difference with pots at 500k though, so it might end up being a compromise of both. Still really want to try it!
User avatar
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5604
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby benadrian on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Tommy wrote:This doesn't answer your question, but I've been wanting to build a guitar for a long time utilizing my two favorite pickups: Telecaster bridge and Jazzmaster neck. I'd probably have to split the difference with pots at 500k though, so it might end up being a compromise of both. Still really want to try it!


I actually put 250k pots in my Jazzmaster. I found that it responded much more how I expected after the mod. So I'm sure you could get away with 250k pots.

I then changed the pickups to Filtertrons and put in 500k pots. THat also works great. A Jazzmaster with Filtertrons is a really well balanced guitar.
User avatar
benadrian
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6026
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:52 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby Snowblinder on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm

For some reason lately I haven't been feeling my handwired Vox AC30. I think once I picked up my current Traynor YBA-1, which has exactly the sound I want, the Vox just lost some of its appeal. Currently I'm seriously considering letting it go and replacing it with something else. I'm very intrigued with a few different amps, including the Fender 59 Bassman reissue, a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (the Custom channel is supposedly similar to a Bassman and demos I've watched sound awesome). Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing (my Traynor is brutally loud, which I don't mind at all but my bandmates sort of do).

I need to go try all of these out. The biggest issue is that my wife LOVES playing through the AC30. Might be a hard sell to convince her to let it go.
User avatar
Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby Tommy on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:37 am

Snowblinder wrote:Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing


I bought a '79 JMP 2204 a few months back and LOVE it. That said, I also love my AC30 clone, which sounds different but definitely gets into driven Marshall territory when turned up halfway+.
User avatar
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5604
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Tommy wrote:
Snowblinder wrote:Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing


I bought a '79 JMP 2204 a few months back and LOVE it. That said, I also love my AC30 clone, which sounds different but definitely gets into driven Marshall territory when turned up halfway+.

Don't ever sell the '79 JMP 2204. That's your keeper.
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9722
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby twelvepoint on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm

If your wife digs an amp of yours DO NOT SELL!
User avatar
twelvepoint
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:51 pm
Location: Arlington, MA

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby Facundo on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm

If a wife around I'd keep only the JC120.
User avatar
Facundo
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:40 pm
Location: La Bañeza, León

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby TylerSavage on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Snowblinder wrote:For some reason lately I haven't been feeling my handwired Vox AC30. I think once I picked up my current Traynor YBA-1, which has exactly the sound I want, the Vox just lost some of its appeal. Currently I'm seriously considering letting it go and replacing it with something else. I'm very intrigued with a few different amps, including the Fender 59 Bassman reissue, a Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (the Custom channel is supposedly similar to a Bassman and demos I've watched sound awesome). Also kind of considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally, which would basically be full circle for me. Always kind of regretted letting my JCM 2203 and JMP 2204 go many years ago, and the master volume of the 2203 is appealing (my Traynor is brutally loud, which I don't mind at all but my bandmates sort of do).

I need to go try all of these out. The biggest issue is that my wife LOVES playing through the AC30. Might be a hard sell to convince her to let it go.


The traynor circuit takes this Master volume style very well http://www.vilo.net/ppimv/ppimv.jpg

Otherwise for anyone that wants a JMP, here's a combo for $500 Shipped with a broken power switch. 6L6s, fuck yeah.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-GARNET-T ... 2312759376

My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204, except it has a thicker clean sound.

I would buy this in a second if I didn't already have more than I can use

$870 shipped with mojotone speakers
https://reverb.com/item/3776131-garnet- ... w.ds&pla=1
User avatar
TylerSavage
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:47 pm

TylerSavage wrote:
My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204

Marshall... Deputy..., get it?

Snowblinder wrote:
considering a Marshall JMP 2203 that showed up locally,

Uh, really? Where is it?


:D
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9722
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby yard barf on Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:04 pm

TylerSavage wrote:Otherwise for anyone that wants a JMP, here's a combo for $500 Shipped with a broken power switch. 6L6s, fuck yeah.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970S-GARNET-T ... 2312759376

My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204, except it has a thicker clean sound.

I would buy this in a second if I didn't already have more than I can use


Jesus, that's a fine deal! $460, shipped. The Deputy kicks so much ass.
User avatar
yard barf
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I'm really hankering for some pickups for my les paul. The ones in it sound nice, but I'd like something brighter with a little more clarity in the neck and a little less nasal in the bridge. I can always get those sounds with get good Gibson sounds with my other guitar, anyway.

I doubt there much that is affordable to mess around with. I was thinking about some Bill Lawrence L-600 or similar humbuckers, but those don't appear to be made anymore. The other other idea was to find some scaled down version of the Fender Wide Range humbuckers. They are pricey and not exact replicas (I don't care about that) but a few makers build them now.

It's mostly academic until I get back to playing more, but it's something I've been in the mood for for a while now.
User avatar
VaticanShotglass
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:22 pm
Location: Transient

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Redline wrote:TylerSavage wrote:
My Deputy head sounds exactly the same as my '78 metal panel 2204

Marshall... Deputy..., get it?


How did I miss that?!
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5379
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Evanc521 and 5 guests