home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Show Us Yr Guitars !!!!

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Show Us Yr Guitars !!!!

Postby dokazaado on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:58 pm

hey folks! Haven't posted in a long while, but I've been lurking around here again lately.
After a couple of years pretty much only fingerpicking acoustic guits,
I have the electric bug again in a pretty big way.

two main things right now -
Jazzmaster on the right. Beauty of a vintage Jazzmaster is just a loaner. :(

and this Bilt, which is pretty, pretty cool.

I'm figuring out that Jazzmasters work super well for what I'm doing these days, though,
so they're seeing the lion's share of the action.
dokazaado
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby holmes on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:10 pm

^The Bilt guitar is very interesting. What are the pickups like?

Japanese offsets - the greco i'm not too hot on, but it looks good at least. The squier is great fun but sounds bad;

ovation gp - truly great guitar;

500 cousins - I keep threatening to sell the egc, and I get offered the money I want, but I'm keeping it for now. I genuinely find it interesting that people say these guitars sound 'more or less the same'. They are hugely different tonally;

'73 deluxe - the neck pickup sounds unreal. I've had this since I was 18, so nearly a year now;

Bass attack - the bean sounds like a fucking piano. The peavey has a nice tone as well - I got it for £80 with an amp! Long time ago, admittedly, but these are still great bargains;

European curios - Westone made in uk, nice player but the original pickups were not great. Egmond rambler is great fun, cost about £50, pickups have a nice bluesy tone, currently for sale on ebay. Burns magpie, looks and sounds great, but not my favourite playing guitar. If it wasn't so rare i'd sell it, but i won't get much money and the pickups are excellent, bit wide-rangey in tone;

Fenders - 52 reissue is an amazing guitar, unreal clank, noticeably different tone to my american special. I used it in a stoner band through a marshall, actually worked quite well. I've played it to death though, it's buggered now. Fender 90s Strat - this like a lot of the others from this era has a really nice playing neck, so much fun to play. I can't recommend fenders from the 90's enough. Great to mod as well due to often just having a giant swimming pool cavity under the pickguard.

peavey reactor - unbelievably cheap on ebay. For what you get, which is a decent made in usa tele clone for around £100-£120, I can't think of anything in the same ball park. They play and sound great and I can't recommend them enough, I use it in jams all the time and it always sounds good. Tough too!
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby jbar on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:53 am

Hey Holmes, if you ever wanna offload that Squier, I'd probably take it off your hands.

Those are all fine guitars. All of them. That 52 looks like absolute hell, I love it.
jbar
pinochle
pinochle

Postby agiant on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:20 am

nice team, Holmes :smt002
blah
agiant
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin

Postby agiant on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:28 am

Posted some time ago in the FB group:

... and the others:

blah
agiant
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin

Postby LBx on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:36 pm

New home basement set up:

'98/'99 CIJ Jazzblaster

80's Fujigen JBass knock off

(not pictured Yamaha APX that I haven't played in ages...)
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby holmes on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 am

Nice TB500, agiant. Yeah, I'd I sell the supersonic I'll let you know jbar
Here comes another load of joy
holmes

Postby Tommy on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:25 am

agiant wrote:Image

Man, this is a really nice looking 500!
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby garthplinko on Sat May 19, 2018 6:09 pm

So...I won a GD Guitar in a raffle yesterday! And it's AWESOME.

Backstory: Guitar tech at local store occasionally builds his own and then they do raffles once in a while too. This one was in the store the other day and I was pretty stoked on it and bought $5 in tickets on a lark. I got a blizzard of texts last night that I ended up winning it. I LOVE the pickguard. Sunburst is one of my least favorite finishes and not one I'd pick out for myself but whatevs.

So it feels like a Jazzmaster to me more than anything else (but admittedly not a real guitar player, not an expert). It's certainly one of the nicest guitars I have ever put my hands on and sounds great through anything I've plugged it into so far.

Appears to be a Harmony Bobcat pickup in bridge and the rest, I have no idea. I think that center pickup is my favorite so far. Has something in the circuit that when pulling out the tone pot, gives it some sort of thickness boost - I need to get clarification on that and what the rest of the pickups are as well.

Bridge close up - I am unfamiliar w/ this one, but LOVE it. Always prefer a roller bridge on trem guitars. This is like a roller tune-o-matic but the saddles seem to be pinned down w/ set screws.

This kinda bums me out a little bit but for the $5 I have invested in it, I can absolutely deal.

So yeah! The last thing on earth I need is another guitar, but this is by far the nicest one I own. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a new guitar. This one, they say they would probably have priced at $1000-1200.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Boombats on Sat May 19, 2018 10:46 pm

That is hottt!!!
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby agiant on Sun May 20, 2018 5:37 am

:smt007
blah
agiant
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 am

LBx wrote:New home basement set up:

'98/'99 CIJ Jazzblaster

80's Fujigen JBass knock off

(not pictured Yamaha APX that I haven't played in ages...)

Are those the Novak Wide Range humbucker/Jazzmaster pickups? If so, how are you digging 'em?
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Seby on Mon May 21, 2018 1:11 am

garthplinko wrote:So...I won a GD Guitar in a raffle yesterday! And it's AWESOME.

Backstory: Guitar tech at local store occasionally builds his own and then they do raffles once in a while too. This one was in the store the other day and I was pretty stoked on it and bought $5 in tickets on a lark. I got a blizzard of texts last night that I ended up winning it. I LOVE the pickguard. Sunburst is one of my least favorite finishes and not one I'd pick out for myself but whatevs.

So it feels like a Jazzmaster to me more than anything else (but admittedly not a real guitar player, not an expert). It's certainly one of the nicest guitars I have ever put my hands on and sounds great through anything I've plugged it into so far.

Appears to be a Harmony Bobcat pickup in bridge and the rest, I have no idea. I think that center pickup is my favorite so far. Has something in the circuit that when pulling out the tone pot, gives it some sort of thickness boost - I need to get clarification on that and what the rest of the pickups are as well.

Bridge close up - I am unfamiliar w/ this one, but LOVE it. Always prefer a roller bridge on trem guitars. This is like a roller tune-o-matic but the saddles seem to be pinned down w/ set screws.

This kinda bums me out a little bit but for the $5 I have invested in it, I can absolutely deal.

So yeah! The last thing on earth I need is another guitar, but this is by far the nicest one I own. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a new guitar. This one, they say they would probably have priced at $1000-1200.

Hooray! This post made my day : ) We want a tone test!
Seby
webelos
webelos

Postby Tommy on Mon May 21, 2018 10:49 am

garthplinko wrote:Appears to be a Harmony Bobcat pickup in bridge and the rest, I have no idea. I think that center pickup is my favorite so far. Has something in the circuit that when pulling out the tone pot, gives it some sort of thickness boost - I need to get clarification on that and what the rest of the pickups are as well.

Congrats!

Total guess on the pickups: a dearmond gold foil, a burns in the middle, and a tiesco gold foil. Or clones thereof...

You could sand the for rent logo off and Reranch the headstock.
Tommy

Postby garthplinko on Mon May 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Seby wrote:Hooray! This post made my day : ) We want a tone test!

I'll have to get Josh or Ike to do it. My guitar playing never graduated past "barely good enough for punk."

Tommy wrote:Congrats!

Total guess on the pickups: a dearmond gold foil, a burns in the middle, and a tiesco gold foil. Or clones thereof...

You could sand the for rent logo off and Reranch the headstock.

Yep, update on that: pretty sure Maurice correctly identified the gold-foils as being allparts clones. I'll get confirmation from the builder next time I stop in, which will be soon since I didn't win an actual hard case.

As for taking the logo off, I'd feel kinda bad about that since it's my friend's shop and that's their house "brand" and all.
garthplinko

Postby owen on Mon May 21, 2018 8:12 pm

1978 Rickenbacker 4001
2010 Rickenbacker 360
2017 Fender Telecaster Elite

I really need to get that Rickenbacker set up, the action is way too high at the moment. That said, the Tele is getting all the action as of late.
owen
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Seby on Tue May 22, 2018 1:00 am

garthplinko wrote:
I'll have to get Josh or Ike to do it. My guitar playing never graduated past "barely good enough for punk."

Pffff...no way, do it yourself! I can speak for just about every guitar player on the planet when I say that the tone tests that people use to demonstrate their playing, as opposed to the inherent sonic properties of the guitar/amp/pedal, do everyone's head in.

Just bash away at open strings and a few fretted notes, whilst explaining all of the pickup selections and so on. Do it clean, then overdrive and amp whilst running through all of the same settings a second time. Do not used any pedals, and do not use reverb on the amp.

You will have a thousand fans overnight. Trust me on this one!
Seby
webelos
webelos

Postby Antero on Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 am

Seby wrote:
garthplinko wrote:

Pffff...no way, do it yourself! I can speak for just about every guitar player on the planet when I say that the tone tests that people use to demonstrate their playing, as opposed to the inherent sonic properties of the guitar/amp/pedal, do everyone's head in.

Just bash away at open strings and a few fretted notes, whilst explaining all of the pickup selections and so on. Do it clean, then overdrive and amp whilst running through all of the same settings a second time. Do not used any pedals, and do not use reverb on the amp.

Yeah, absolutely. I could not give a solitary shit what a guitar sounds like when someone does their half-assed Clapton or, god help us, Yngwie imitation - hit the strings so I know what the fuck it sounds like if I hit the strings.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby garthplinko on Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 am

Antero wrote:
Seby wrote:
garthplinko wrote:

Yeah, absolutely. I could not give a solitary shit what a guitar sounds like when someone does their half-assed Clapton or, god help us, Yngwie imitation - hit the strings so I know what the fuck it sounds like if I hit the strings.

I love this and will gladly call my youtube channel "Shitty guitar player tone test" or something like that :mrgreen:

garthplinko

Postby garthplinko on Tue May 22, 2018 8:51 pm

Here's what I found out about the pickups:

" The center pickup is Planet tone 69 VooDoo 8.5K, The Bridge Pickup is a Van Zandt custom made 12K Foil Style and the Neck Pickup is a Van Zandt custom made 10K."

Never heard of any of the brands before, but this guitar sounds great so I don't much care.

Here's a "tone test" :wink: this is w/ the bridge pickup obv:

https://youtu.be/LL-gPf0meEw
garthplinko

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room