home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

current DIY projects you are working on .. or planning on.

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: current DIY projects you are working on .. or planning o

Postby TylerSavage on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:27 pm

partner surprise shipped this to me - going to have to call in some big guns to help me with this so going to be some DIYWH ... neck break is worse than it looks and there's a chunk and binding torn out on the back. Going to refin something less clowny. The pickups in this are monstrous and the "Music is for Lovers" on the original leather bag is icing

TylerSavage
captain mash
captain mash

Postby uglysound on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:40 pm

Finished these up today.

uglysound
pauly shore
pauly shore

Postby bassdriver on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 am

amazing work as always, uglysound !!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby endofanera on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:36 am

bassdriver wrote:amazing work as always, uglysound !!

Yes indeed!
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby PEPPER! on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:45 pm

I saw a decent deal on Soviet 6N2P-EV tubes on eBay a while back, they were about $3 apiece after shipping. the 6N2P was their 12AX7 equivalent except that they are designed only for 6.3V heaters (as opposed to 6 or 12) and the pinout is slightly different. I used some "tube saver" 9-pin guys to convert them for the 12A*7 sockets in my Bassman and have been using them for a couple days. so far I'm a fan.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kxbx on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:11 am

PEPPER! wrote:I saw a decent deal on Soviet 6N2P-EV tubes on eBay a while back, they were about $3 apiece after shipping. the 6N2P was their 12AX7 equivalent except that they are designed only for 6.3V heaters (as opposed to 6 or 12) and the pinout is slightly different. I used some "tube saver" 9-pin guys to convert them for the 12A*7 sockets in my Bassman and have been using them for a couple days. so far I'm a fan.

I bought a couple of dozen a few years ago, they used to be even cheaper. I have just re-wired the couple of amps I used them in. They have worked out well.
kxbx
staple singers
staple singers

Postby PEPPER! on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:08 pm

kxbx wrote:
PEPPER! wrote:I saw a decent deal on Soviet 6N2P-EV tubes on eBay a while back, they were about $3 apiece after shipping. the 6N2P was their 12AX7 equivalent except that they are designed only for 6.3V heaters (as opposed to 6 or 12) and the pinout is slightly different. I used some "tube saver" 9-pin guys to convert them for the 12A*7 sockets in my Bassman and have been using them for a couple days. so far I'm a fan.

I bought a couple of dozen a few years ago, they used to be even cheaper. I have just re-wired the couple of amps I used them in. They have worked out well.

yeah, there are dudes who'll sell you hundreds if you like. probably won't go that far but if I'm still happy with them in a couple weeks I'll order a dozen for sure. I'm fixing a very beat up Bassmaster and will definitely include an internal switch so I can use these.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kazoozak on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:25 pm

My old Fender Lead II was the first "good guitar" I had; my dad bought it for me in high school and it was a definite upgrade from my Squier Double Fat Strat. It was my main guitar up until I graduated from college and I got another guitar and that became my main from then on out. Since then the Lead II has been in various states of neglect, but recently I've decided to resurrect it and give it a new lease on life. I ordered a 28" Baritone Conversion neck (Roasted maple, doesn't need a finish apparently and looks amazing), two string trees and six Gotoh tuners from Warmoth, and from GFS two lipstick tube pickups and all new electronics. I'll probably hand it off to a local luthier to do the setup with the neck and such, but I'm gonna try to do the electronics myself.
kazoozak
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby changus2008 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:03 pm

My first post on this forum! I'm currently working on a 25.5" scale aluminum neck in metalshop, which I'm designing in Solidworks. The headstock will be reverse tele style. I used the fillet tool to set a good bit of the radius, but I will finish it by hand along with as the frets. I saw someone posted on this form a Fender Bullet with an EGC neck. My decision is whether to put my neck on a Bullet, Lead II, or a shell pink doublecut LPJ style body that I'm making in woodshop. I've still got a long ways to go as far as hardware. If I get either of the Fender bodies, I will likely keep the stock pickups. If I do go with the custom body I will probably route it for a single bridge P90. Could someone recommend a P90 for anything from really cold Slint-y cleans (I know it's mostly in the amp settings but I'd like consistency across rigs) to mid-heavy tones similar to Converge? Also, I'd like to know a suitable wraparound tailpiece.
Thanks, guys. I'm glad I'm no longer a lurker.
changus2008

Postby TylerSavage on Tue May 02, 2017 12:13 pm

TylerSavage wrote:partner surprise shipped this to me - going to have to call in some big guns to help me with this so going to be some DIYWH ... neck break is worse than it looks and there's a chunk and binding torn out on the back. Going to refin something less clowny. The pickups in this are monstrous and the "Music is for Lovers" on the original leather bag is icing

Finally getting around to this. Got the peeled off chunk epoxy'ed back in. It's a mess so far but was always a players guitar. Check out the original plugs in the neck pocket, haha.

I'll see what I can do. feels good to have that horrible color off the neck

TylerSavage
captain mash
captain mash

Postby MrMattDiehl on Tue May 02, 2017 1:24 pm

changus2008 wrote:My first post on this forum! I'm currently working on a 25.5" scale aluminum neck in metalshop, which I'm designing in Solidworks. The headstock will be reverse tele style. I used the fillet tool to set a good bit of the radius, but I will finish it by hand along with as the frets. I saw someone posted on this form a Fender Bullet with an EGC neck. My decision is whether to put my neck on a Bullet, Lead II, or a shell pink doublecut LPJ style body that I'm making in woodshop. I've still got a long ways to go as far as hardware. If I get either of the Fender bodies, I will likely keep the stock pickups. If I do go with the custom body I will probably route it for a single bridge P90. Could someone recommend a P90 for anything from really cold Slint-y cleans (I know it's mostly in the amp settings but I'd like consistency across rigs) to mid-heavy tones similar to Converge? Also, I'd like to know a suitable wraparound tailpiece.

Welcome! That neck sounds cool - I've been thinking about having my own aluminum neck made similarly.

As for P-90s, I am a huge fanatic/convert - why did I ever play anything else? Anyways, a lot of folks around here + elsewhere on the Internet cite the Lace Alumitone P-90s as potentially what you are looking for. They are one of the few popular choices to replace the EGC single coil pups, which seems to suggest they would work for your purposes. From what I can discern, they are bright/crisp as intended, but also noiseless + super hi-fi in a way that would seem to lend itself to Slint-y applications. I have not played them, but they sound ideal. I have a PRS SE One with what I think is a Duncan Vintage P-90 + while it is savage cranked, the cleans are sparkly + dense + sublime; there is the traditional single coil hum though. I've played + am getting the Lollar standard P-90 + it is fantastic too - hi fi vibes for sure but can also get mean, may be best ever. It has trad 60 cycle hum which doesn't bother me but am am interested in exploring a more uniquely modern voicing without going all EMG, too. I think most/all decent-to-great P-90s will do da business for you, but the ultra modern noiseless contemporary sound of the Alumitones seems like the trick (I am going to get one eventually). Have also been looking at the Fralin hum canceling P-90, which seems superlative + probably has abbot more trad of a sound than the Alumitones. Please keep us apprised of your choices + post pics when available! And again welcome!
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby W.L.Weller on Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm

changus2008 wrote:My decision is whether to put my neck on a Bullet, Lead II, or a shell pink doublecut LPJ style body that I'm making in woodshop. I've still got a long ways to go as far as hardware.

The old Les Paul double cut body shape is an all-time classic and personal favorite. You may need a wide strap with some texture on the underside to keep the neck off the floor though.
W.L.Weller
les nessman
les nessman

Postby japmn on Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm building a weird thing that has a bunch of oscillators in it that will be triggered by a gate connected to a microphone. Can someone point me to a fairly simple gate circuit for an ASDR or even just AD gate so I can yell in a microphone and trigger all these ringing tones? I keep finding stuff, but don't really know which one is best suited. I've really never built synth stuff, but I'm about to start.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby changus2008 on Fri May 05, 2017 9:04 am

MrMattDiehl wrote:
changus2008 wrote:My first post on this forum! I'm currently working on a 25.5" scale aluminum neck in metalshop, which I'm designing in Solidworks. The headstock will be reverse tele style. I used the fillet tool to set a good bit of the radius, but I will finish it by hand along with as the frets. I saw someone posted on this form a Fender Bullet with an EGC neck. My decision is whether to put my neck on a Bullet, Lead II, or a shell pink doublecut LPJ style body that I'm making in woodshop. I've still got a long ways to go as far as hardware. If I get either of the Fender bodies, I will likely keep the stock pickups. If I do go with the custom body I will probably route it for a single bridge P90. Could someone recommend a P90 for anything from really cold Slint-y cleans (I know it's mostly in the amp settings but I'd like consistency across rigs) to mid-heavy tones similar to Converge? Also, I'd like to know a suitable wraparound tailpiece.

Welcome! That neck sounds cool - I've been thinking about having my own aluminum neck made similarly.

As for P-90s, I am a huge fanatic/convert - why did I ever play anything else? Anyways, a lot of folks around here + elsewhere on the Internet cite the Lace Alumitone P-90s as potentially what you are looking for. They are one of the few popular choices to replace the EGC single coil pups, which seems to suggest they would work for your purposes. From what I can discern, they are bright/crisp as intended, but also noiseless + super hi-fi in a way that would seem to lend itself to Slint-y applications. I have not played them, but they sound ideal. I have a PRS SE One with what I think is a Duncan Vintage P-90 + while it is savage cranked, the cleans are sparkly + dense + sublime; there is the traditional single coil hum though. I've played + am getting the Lollar standard P-90 + it is fantastic too - hi fi vibes for sure but can also get mean, may be best ever. It has trad 60 cycle hum which doesn't bother me but am am interested in exploring a more uniquely modern voicing without going all EMG, too. I think most/all decent-to-great P-90s will do da business for you, but the ultra modern noiseless contemporary sound of the Alumitones seems like the trick (I am going to get one eventually). Have also been looking at the Fralin hum canceling P-90, which seems superlative + probably has abbot more trad of a sound than the Alumitones. Please keep us apprised of your choices + post pics when available! And again welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome and information. I think those Alumitones sound absolutely perfect for me. I will certainly keep posting updates in this thread.

W.L.Weller wrote:
changus2008 wrote:My decision is whether to put my neck on a Bullet, Lead II, or a shell pink doublecut LPJ style body that I'm making in woodshop. I've still got a long ways to go as far as hardware.

The old Les Paul double cut body shape is an all-time classic and personal favorite. You may need a wide strap with some texture on the underside to keep the neck off the floor though.

I agree. In fact, I had pretty much decided upon the LP DC before posting; I just kind of wanted to see if anyone could sway me. Now what exactly is the consensus on the shell pink? I'm going to be purchasing from ReRanch unless anyone has a better source. I'm also open to an oil coat. I'm not quite as sure about finish as I was with the body shape, so I'm really looking for some recommendations.
changus2008

Postby MrMattDiehl on Fri May 05, 2017 8:37 pm

changus2008 wrote:I think those Alumitones sound absolutely perfect for me.

Of course, being so old that I'm kinda new to the search function, I discovered there is a lot more info on the Alumitones on this very site. A lot of the greatest, smartest EA forum users here (not that there is a hierarchy, mind) use the Alumitones religiously + have posted even more useful exegeses on their awesomeness. I'm sure if you needed more info than that, they'd be happy to fill you in if you reach out.

All very, very cool. I second the double cut - big fan - especially in pastels (are you curious, yellow?). Am thinking about some double-cut models that I myself might slap an Alumitone or two in...
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby kxbx on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 am

I haven't posted here in a while. Fixed a Freeze recently, plus a couple of Echo Parks and a couple of DD-2s

http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/20 ... reeze.html

edit: and a Eurotec Black Box Phaze Module & an MXR EVH Flanger.
kxbx
staple singers
staple singers

Postby lieandswell on Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Been struggling to get decent dirt with my silverface Twin Reverb (a common struggle, it seems). Years ago, before I knew any better, I bought a ProCo Roadkill: a cheaply-made RAT clone sold in the late '90s. Sounds like anorexic ass in a tin can. But it's got the fabled LM308 chip, and if you remove the four clipping diodes in the gain loop it almost sounds okay. Getting grindy fuzz tonez when I drive the gain in the master-volume silverface. How neat is that? I wish it kept more low end, though. I'm thinking about switching out a capacitor to bring down corner frequency of the high-pass filter in the feedback loop to Let The Doom In.
lieandswell
corporal
corporal

Postby garthplinko on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:43 pm

This might be weak in comparison to everyone's amazing builds but I'm trying to plot out a dual-pedal board build that works like a clam-shell so it's closed up like a suitcase during transport and protecting the pedals/knobs and then not having a case that will take up additional space when in use.

Separating hinges for certain. The challenge for me will be just designing the spacing properly and how to establish connections. Heading to paper for this I guess. I also don't want to have to pay for 2 power supplies but that might just be what I have to do in order to keep the set up quick.

The rig I'm working on will have multiple connections for different feeds so I have a feeling I'm going to have to build a wire harness/snake at some point too.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby kxbx on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 am

kxbx wrote:I haven't posted here in a while. Fixed a Freeze recently, plus a couple of Echo Parks and a couple of DD-2s

http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/20 ... reeze.html

edit: and a Eurotec Black Box Phaze Module & an MXR EVH Flanger.

http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/20 ... -park.html
http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/20 ... anger.html
http://falseelectronics.blogspot.com/20 ... z-fl9.html
kxbx
staple singers
staple singers

Postby weezy on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey guitar repair guys, how easy of a fix is this? (or pain in the ass)

I got a Ric 3001 as part of a trade, the neck crack was supposedly repaired, but somewhere during shipping it separated. It doesn't really fit back together flush, so I don't know if there's glue remnants or something else in there from the previous 'repair'.

I have a guy I can take it to, but wanted to get PRF opinions first.

weezy
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room