home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Kick Pedals

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Kick Pedals

Postby caix on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm new to drums and I need a kick pedal. I'm familiar with the DW3000 and the Tama Iron Cobra, but those pedals are kind of expensive. I found an Iron Cobra Jr. a DW2000 for considerably less. There sure are a bunch of brands available.

The kick drum is 24". I'm looking for something that will have a good response and won't fall apart in the near future. Something good to learn on, I suppose.
I play bass in Fake Limbs.
caix
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Kick Pedals

Postby scott on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:59 pm

So you're looking for a single pedal, not a double, right? Dude.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby caix on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

Yeah, just a single pedal. I'm a drumming n00b. Gonna start taking lessons after March.
caix

Postby dokazaado on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Iron Cobra Jr. is ok to start, but a double-chain or belt drive pedal will feel a lot smoother and will let ya get your speed up a little more quickly.

for only $50 more than the DW or IC Jr., you can get a Pearl Eliminator Powershifter, and that's a great pedal.
dokazaado
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby caix on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:54 pm

dokazaado wrote:Iron Cobra Jr. is ok to start, but a double-chain or belt drive pedal will feel a lot smoother and will let ya get your speed up a little more quickly.

for only $50 more than the DW or IC Jr., you can get a Pearl Eliminator Powershifter, and that's a great pedal.

What makes the double chain or belt better? more stability and/or response?
caix

Postby dokazaado on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm

I can't speak on the belt/strap drives, I just know lots of dudes prefer 'em.

as for the double-chain type, yes, it's more stable. I started with a single-chain pedal not so long ago and always hated the amount of lateral movement it allowed.
dokazaado

Postby jeff_fox on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 pm

I have an Iron Cobra Jr. with the double kick attachment. I've been using it for about 6 years. I like it. I'm used to it. I guess that's not particularly helpful...
I like it.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby godawful on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:42 pm

get a tama camco pedal. it was my first and it is still going 16 years later - admittedly i have had a few dw 5000 pedals in there, too. but it is pretty responsive, rugged and there are two on ebay right now for under $40.
godawful
mother superior
mother superior

Postby audioboffin on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:02 am

DW bought the Camco casting moulds, so there are a lot of similarities, and certainly, back in the day, those Camco kick pedals were the benchmark for a lot of drummers. You can still buy parts to keep them alive (chains, bearings etc) so they can be a good workhorse still.

For good solid contemporary hardware, Pearl is pretty hard to beat (pardon that pun!).

As far as chain drive versus strap drive, there are a lot of very experienced drummers moving back to straps, for a number of reasons.
audioboffin
carter family
carter family

Postby N1ck on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm

I'd steer clear of used stuff. Just my opinion.

Go with a new Pearl Eliminator - the one with the chain, not the strap.

Up until very recently, I had one for like six years and it was still kickin' ass and takin' names.

Here:

http://www.pearldrum.com/products/hardw ... -2000.aspx
N1ck
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby caix on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:49 pm

I ended up getting a DW3000. Dual chain for under $100 bucks.
caix

Postby alex maiolo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Old Ludwig pedals are great.
The Ghost and Speed Kings are awesome, and the latter can be had for cheap.

If you're hitting the road, buy new. If you're trying to buy on a budget, you can't fail with these, and parts are readily available. Doubt you'll need them though.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby MartinD on Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Yamaha has a $50 kick pedal that I have been abusing for almost 10 years, came with my first kit. I like that it doesn't have a rigid base, so it doesn't want to bend your hoops when you move your kick drum, it just hangs.
MartinD
mayor
mayor

Postby DrAwkward on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Ba-bump.

So for the last six-odd months i've been working at the local independent medium-sized-box music store in their call center. Just recently i finally started gleefully abusing my employee discount. I bought a new Ludwig Epic Pro Beat drum set for a song, and got some modest cases for them just so they don't get scuffed in the van. Now, i'm pondering experimenting with kick pedals.

I've used an Iron Cobra for years and i've overall loved it. However, i've felt lately like my kick chops aren't what they were w/r/t speed and accuracy. Obviously i'm sure i should be practicing more (can't wait until we have a studio space come later this summer), but after a couple recent gear-sharing shows i've noticed differences in the kick pedals that made me question just how good my Iron Cobra is.

I've never had luck with DW pedals; their playability is ok but i can never get the clamps to stay on my drum's ring and the drum ends up sliding away from me. The last DW pedal i tried i threw in a dumpster behind the club immediately after the set, i was so pissed.

Has anyone here used a Pearl Eliminator, or the crazy expensive top-of-the-price-heap Demon Eliminator? I'm tempted to take advantage of my discount and splurge on one once the drum purchase is paid off the credit card. I mean, it's kinda pretty:

I haven't tested it out yet in the store. I should get on that. I pushed on one with my hands and it was smooooooth. Thoughts?
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby 154 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:18 pm

That looks pretty similar to the Trick stuff:

http://www.trickdrums.com/pedals.html

Then again, I've never used anything that fancy.

Postby bishopdante on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm

There's also the Axis.

The use of a linkage rather than a chain is, in many ways, a throwback to the Ludwig Speed King, although the introduction of ball bearing races and precision CNC machining means that they don't feel like the same sort of thing at all.

If you like the Iron Cobra, which is a heavy, clunky sort of feel, pedals like the Axis will take some getting used to, having so little friction gives them a pretty weird feel, the beater either quickly escapes from your foot, or you have to set the spring tension uncomfortably high. If you poke it with a finger, unrestrained the pedal will happily swing back and forth like a pendulum for quite a while, whereas on normal bass pedals it'll just return to a neutral position and stay there. The feel is quite wobbly. There's also no side-to-side travel at all on the Axis. The build quality is amazing, there's no play anywhere on its movement at all. Good thing is that it'll never squeak while you're recording. They usually come with weird lightweight beaters, if you swap it for a normal one it becomes much more familiar, but still takes a bit of getting used to.

Seems one can buy an Axis on ebay for about $100-$150. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axis-Single-Bas ... 500wt_1413
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby DrAwkward on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Yeah, we sell a lot of Axis stuff. It's all made-to-order by like two people in a room.

That's just the input i was looking for, thanks!
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby twelvepoint on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:03 pm

I've played Speed Kings, Pearl, Camco, that Iron Cobra thing and I think there's a lot to be said for the ubiquitous DW 5000. It's mechanically simple and the mass of the moving parts is pretty low. You can adjust spring tension, beater at-rest position, pedal at-rest angle and beater shaft length. It's also quiet and fast (the old single chain style was a little faster, IMO).

The 2 nicest things about those 5000s though are: 1) the velcro beater plate and built in spikes work great to anchor bass drums that might otherwise creep forward. 2) It's super easy to get replacement parts for them. I think that's a massive plus for a piece of hardware that gets as much abuse as this.

That said, kick pedals are a very personal item and there's no one-size-fits-all.
twelvepoint
cool kid
cool kid

Postby benadrian on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Many years ago I had a series of DW pedals. I always liked them, but they were always shaking loose. While I was using the DW pedal I found a budget Tama kick pedal for $30 used. I grabbed it so I'd have a backup pedal at shows.

One day, in the late 90s, the DW broke to the point where I needed to get a replacement part. I pulled out the Tama pedal. I still have and use this pedal. I think I gave the DW parts to Chris from Replicator back when he was using DW pedals.

If you're worried about speed and feel, D.J., try messing with the spring tension, batter length, and the adjustable weight on the beater shaft. There are a lot of options and trade offs. Of course, you may have been doing this all along.
benadrian
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Dovey on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, the thing I like about Iron Cobras is that pretty much everything on it can be adjusted. I previously had a DW 5000 double pedal and really the only thing you could do to alter the feel was adjust the spring on the side (and that would come loose or change on it's own fairly often). DWs feel pretty great but they don't justify the excessive cost, particularly on reliability/toughness concerns. ICs really do earn their reputation for being bombproof
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Next

Return to Tech Room