home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bizarre Japanese Guitars Thread

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Bizarre Japanese Guitars Thread

Postby Redline on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm

You could buy a used Les Paul Studio for what some of the set-neck Grecos are going for. Some Grecos do squeak in under the 600-700 dollar range. If they are un-fucked with, they're great guitars. The 70's pick ups are great.

But I get it if you don't want a Les Paul Studio.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 pm

Yeah, some of these prices are seeing are making me think twice for sure. I liked the one studio i've played, but I'm sucker for that ebony fretboard on the customs.
There's a solid looking yamaha studio lord on Reverb for $700 shipped.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Redline on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:33 pm

yamaha studio lord

I'm pretty sure those were made with the Tokais. Ask FM sleepkid.
The FujiGen factory is GO!
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby MatthewK on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am

If I was shoppin' Reverb I'd get this one I think: https://reverb.com/item/7348367-greco-e ... ij-fujigen
MatthewK
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:13 am

Riff Magnum wrote:Any recommendations on some of the best Les Paul Custom copies from back in the day? I used to have one and i've kinda been wanting to get another one eventually, but i don't really wanna pay $2000 for one.

I had one of this model in brown ages ago in brown, sold it to a buddy and still visit with it from time and it is the shit. Sucks that this one is in Australia and has pricey shipping but $800 is still quite reasonable for a guitar of this quality.

https://reverb.com/item/4906016-aria-pr ... 80-s-black
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 am

Both of those look sweet!!
I am, however, noticing that not many of these have ebony fretboards. Even most of the "customs" are rosewood. I thought the ebony fretboard and pearl inlays were what made a custom a custom.
Best case scenario might be finding one made at fujigen or matsumoku during their heyday, but thats been gutted so i can buy something affordable and slowly resurrect it.
Riff Magnum

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:12 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Any recommendations on some of the best Les Paul Custom copies from back in the day? I used to have one and i've kinda been wanting to get another one eventually, but i don't really wanna pay $2000 for one.

My two electric guitars are Burny (Fernandez) Les Paul Customs. I got one from SleepKid. I love the things. Mine are both from the same time/production. They could be from the late '80s to the mid '90s. They don't have serial numbers. The split diamond on the headstock is the sort of lightening bolt variation Burny did during that time. The pickups are the VH-1 models of that time (the second version, I think).

The guitars both sound and play great. I would recommend them easily. I have no desires for anything nicer in the Les Paul realm. These used to be available for under a grand commonly. I don't know about now. I payed much much less than that for mine.

One of mine is all original save for an output jack that wore out. The other came pretty much original but was a bit more heavily played. I tinkered with that one for the sake of doing so. The first one has tons of bass and is a little louder and darker. The second one is brighter. Both sound great. All five pickups between the two are traditional unpotted humbuckers that read around 8kohms on the meter.

Burny still makes Customs started making them mostly in China as time went on. I've never played one of those and they may be fine, but don't let someone sell you one under the guise it is one of the more desirable models.

Another FM here has one like mine and seems rather happy with it.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Both of those look sweet!!
I am, however, noticing that not many of these have ebony fretboards. Even most of the "customs" are rosewood. I thought the ebony fretboard and pearl inlays were what made a custom a custom.
Best case scenario might be finding one made at fujigen or matsumoku during their heyday, but thats been gutted so i can buy something affordable and slowly resurrect it.

I forgot to mention that the Burny is a darkened rosewood fretboard. I forgot about that issue. The bodies seem to be mahogany on mahogany like the '50s Customs, though.
VaticanShotglass

Postby Boombats on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Buddy of mine just got one of those reissue Teisco Spectrum 5 jammys. I didn't get to plug it in but it felt nice and had a crisp unplugged sound.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby sleepkid on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:22 am

toby2 wrote:Anyone ever seen a Japanese Mosrite copy that had built in Mandlin + Banjo sounds ? The main circuit board is quite large ( covers the full size of the pickguard ) , 7 transistors , 6 electrolytics , 9 volt battery . Someone has swapped in new electrolytics . I am not sure if the cap values are correct . The circuit board has a Z etched in it . Thank you for your time !

Sorry for the very, very late reply on this. Yes. The Morales ZES-??? (model number unknown) was a Mosrite copy that had built in Mandolin and Banjo sounds on the circuit board. Super rare. I've only seen one once. The Morales ZES-300's are good solid Mosrite knock-offs, the ZES-500 is a step-up with binding and fancy appointments, and then there's the ZES-whatever it was that had the built in sounds.

They were made by Zen-On. The Morales brand was their copy-model brand.

Hope that helps.
PRF Records Club. Records for the PRF made by the PRF. Read about it here.
Get the music here: http://www.lakeoffake.com
sleepkid
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Previous

Return to Tech Room