home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ebay Selling Hassle

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby Riff Magnum on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:53 pm

Anyone have any tips on selling/shipping to Europe? I got a guy in Italy wanting to buy my old Standel off of Reverb. He has a friend in Switzerland that i'm gonna ship it to, since dealing with customs in Italy seems rather daunting. He seems legit, but it's a lot of money and it's weird to think about a guitar going across an ocean and mountains and shit.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 pm

I've shipped a ton of stuff to Europe, including many guitars. Pack it well and send it USPS Priority International. I've never had any issues with international shipping except to Italy. I refuse to ship there at this point.

Does is have a Rosewood fingerboard? If so, it is is actually illegal to ship overseas do to CITES regulations unless you get paperwork for it. You'll probably be fine but it's something to think about.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:42 pm

No rosewood.
USPS online is saying my package is too big. 50"x30"x8" I'm guessing it's 30lbs but i don't have a scale so i'm not sure. Big hollow body jazz guitar, plus case, plus heavy duty box and packing material. I dunno.
UPS and Fedex are quoting me like $800. Fuck that!!
It's a $3500 guitar and I need that money though.
Oddly enough my bassist is going to Italy to teach this summer. He said he'd take it. Dunno If that makes it easier to get through customs or if it would still be a hassle. Might offer to hold it for the guy till June if he pays me more.

Edit: It's 51"x20"x10"
Riff Magnum

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:56 pm

To speak nothing of the issues around shipping to Italy - maybe the guy will pay $800 to ship it.

Once I found this old black line SVT covered in rat fur locally for $400. I had it retolexed and cleaned up by my tech and listed it at a more appropriate price. Some dude from Germany wanted it but I told him no way. He hired somebody from Houston to come pick it up from me and he shipped it to him. Some people just live on a different planet.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby JohnnySomersett on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:22 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:To speak nothing of the issues around shipping to Italy - maybe the guy will pay $800 to ship it.

Once I found this old black line SVT covered in rat fur locally for $400. I had it retolexed and cleaned up by my tech and listed it at a more appropriate price. Some dude from Germany wanted it but I told him no way. He hired somebody from Houston to come pick it up from me and he shipped it to him. Some people just live on a different planet.

I had one of those Peavey Bass 400 monsters briefly and some guy from the Netherlands paid someone to pick it up, pack and ship it. Fuck knows how much it cost him but he obviously was adamant he needed to own it!

I hope his back is okay, that thing weighed about 120lbs!
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby elisha wiesner on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Fuck Italy! Seriously. It's the only place in the world that I don't ship but I recently made an exception after a buyer wrote to me and said he would accept the shipping risk. The package has disappeared into what ever postal hell all packages in Italy disappear to and the buyer opened a case against me with ebay and I just had to refund him $150.
elisha wiesner

Postby Riff Magnum on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:47 am

He lives in Italy but i'm shipping it to his friend in Switzerland. How picky is customs and the US government on declared value? Seems like under $2500 is pretty easy and over $2500 is a pain in the ass paperwork wise. My guitar is right on that line. Probably gonna sell for $3000 but I"m not "making" $3000 on it.
Riff Magnum

Postby gnangle on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:31 am

Riff Magnum wrote:No rosewood.
USPS online is saying my package is too big. 50"x30"x8" I'm guessing it's 30lbs but i don't have a scale so i'm not sure. Big hollow body jazz guitar, plus case, plus heavy duty box and packing material. I dunno.
UPS and Fedex are quoting me like $800. Fuck that!!
It's a $3500 guitar and I need that money though.
Oddly enough my bassist is going to Italy to teach this summer. He said he'd take it. Dunno If that makes it easier to get through customs or if it would still be a hassle. Might offer to hold it for the guy till June if he pays me more.

Edit: It's 51"x20"x10"

it is because its greater than 48 inches(4ft). hard to believe that those 3 inches make that much of a difference. i ship my instruments in 48 inch long boxes and usually get them there for under 200 usd.
gnangle
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby andyman on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:Fuck Italy! Seriously. It's the only place in the world that I don't ship but I recently made an exception after a buyer wrote to me and said he would accept the shipping risk. The package has disappeared into what ever postal hell all packages in Italy disappear to and the buyer opened a case against me with ebay and I just had to refund him $150.

Ouch. Italy's postal service is pretty fucked up. Things tend to arrive, but with huge delays. CJ shipped me a guitar as "return of property" or something and after an extra 2 weeksish I got a customs note saying they want me to fill out some info. All the info on the form was already on the shipment notice it went out with, so all they got extra was my signature. A week later it shows up with a €20 delivery fee from the customs dicks. I tried emailing them to ask WTF, through the address I'd sent the form back to (and from which I got a lightning fast response), and they didn't respond. Twice.
Cocksuckers.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby chris jury on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, over the last couple weeks I had another couple awesome experiences with buys.

-sold a pair of steel toe doc martens. Nice boots, in very good shape. I properly oiled them so they would look their best and be waterproof for the new owner. The oil can have a slight white haze when it gets very cold -just a wipe w/ the hand will remove it...but this buyer decided it was 'mold' and demanded a return...oh, and it turns out accepting returns doesn't change the fact that I had to pay return shipping. Boots came back- there is no 'mold'

-Sold an xbox controller for like $7. buyer then demands some sort of adapter that was not included, and is not included w/ new controllers. Demands a full refund and want to keep the item. I say no, so he threatens to leave bad feedback. I called Ebay CS...they respond that there is nothing they can do, but it sure sounds bad.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

On that Rickenbacker/Electro E-12 I found for cheap I got a message all the sudden saying it wasn’t making a sound after it hadn’t shipped for a week! He said that the tubes lit up, but he didn’t have a tube tester. Strangely enough in descriptions of his other amps he says that the tubes tested good on his Hickock.
Smelled fishy and I backed out for a refund. Possible he got cold feet or realized it had vintage tubes in it. It was a steal at $250 shipped, but the last thing I need is something else to get fixed.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby mmmribsmmm on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:57 pm

I've decided to sell an old 76/77 Gibson Les Paul Custom triple pickup that I bought off a guy a few years ago. As soon as he bought it in 77 he swapped out the original pickups for two Dimarzio Dual sound humb's and a super distortion humb. He also drilled two coil taps in so it's basically set up like one of Ace Frehley's from the era.

So I'm thinking it won't sell for as much since it's been modded plus it's a factory second due to some tiny cosmetic flaws. Otherwise, it's fucking flawless. He told me he like playing his SG more so this thing just sat under his bed for 40 years.

My dilemma is that I could put the original pickups back in it, because he saved them in the original Dimarzio packages, and ask for a lot of money. Or, I could still ask for a good amount on the guitar but sell the basically untouched 3 piece set of 76 or 77 T - top humbuckers separately. I think the pickups alone could bring 700- 900 since they are an original 3 piece set.

Thoughts?
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm

Postby yard barf on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:30 pm

mmmribsmmm wrote:I've decided to sell an old 76/77 Gibson Les Paul Custom triple pickup that I bought off a guy a few years ago. As soon as he bought it in 77 he swapped out the original pickups for two Dimarzio Dual sound humb's and a super distortion humb. He also drilled two coil taps in so it's basically set up like one of Ace Frehley's from the era.

So I'm thinking it won't sell for as much since it's been modded plus it's a factory second due to some tiny cosmetic flaws. Otherwise, it's fucking flawless. He told me he like playing his SG more so this thing just sat under his bed for 40 years.

My dilemma is that I could put the original pickups back in it, because he saved them in the original Dimarzio packages, and ask for a lot of money. Or, I could still ask for a good amount on the guitar but sell the basically untouched 3 piece set of 76 or 77 T - top humbuckers separately. I think the pickups alone could bring 700- 900 since they are an original 3 piece set.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I think you will make more money selling the pickups separately. I say, unfortunately, because there are sellers (like gibsondependable on eBay) who buy vintage guitars, separate them into pieces and sell the pieces for more than the guitar itself would be worth, intact.
yard barf
took picture of naked guy

Postby mmmribsmmm on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:33 pm

yard barf wrote:
mmmribsmmm wrote:I've decided to sell an old 76/77 Gibson Les Paul Custom triple pickup that I bought off a guy a few years ago. As soon as he bought it in 77 he swapped out the original pickups for two Dimarzio Dual sound humb's and a super distortion humb. He also drilled two coil taps in so it's basically set up like one of Ace Frehley's from the era.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately, I think you will make more money selling the pickups separately. I say, unfortunately, because there are sellers (like gibsondependable on eBay) who buy vintage guitars, separate them into pieces and sell the pieces for more than the guitar itself would be worth, intact.

Yeah, I hear you. I think I would return it to normal if it wasn't stamped SECOND on the back of the headstock, and even then it's had two tiny holes drilled in it. People list these for 4--6K in really good original condition.

mmmribsmmm

Postby yard barf on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm

mmmribsmmm wrote:
yard barf wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, I hear you. I think I would return it to normal if it wasn't stamped SECOND on the back of the headstock, and even then it's had two tiny holes drilled in it. People list these for 4--6K in really good original condition.

An incredible number of late '70s Gibsons are stamped second so it might not be as big a deal as it would be for a different time period. Also, if the coil tap holes are really discreet and nicely done, then maybe you could try putting it back to original and seeing if it sells for a good price.
yard barf

Postby mmmribsmmm on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Correct, this is my second "second" from the 70's. I suppose you could argue it just shows Gibson actually had quality control in that period. There is a tiny sliver of unpainted wood along the neck fret marker binding and that's it. No buckle rash, no dings, maybe a few pick scraped above the pickups. The guy even had a couple of the original receipts from when he made layaway payments on it in 77. Crazy.

mmmribsmmm

Postby Tommy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 pm

yard barf wrote:
mmmribsmmm wrote:
yard barf wrote:

An incredible number of late '70s Gibsons are stamped second so it might not be as big a deal as it would be for a different time period. Also, if the coil tap holes are really discreet and nicely done, then maybe you could try putting it back to original and seeing if it sells for a good price.

I'm all for selling guitars as originally as possible. I definitely wouldn't part a guitar out. BUT - I'd probably draw the line at it COSTING ME MORE AND BEING MORE OF A HASSLE to put it back to stock. That's basically losing money. If it is all worth more as-is, I say sell away and don't feel too bad.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:01 am

Don't feel guilty at all selling the pickups on their own although you might want to check to see what those '77 Dimarzio's are going for. They definitely changed them up in the 80's so some of the early ones are kind of sought after now. I sold a couple early ones for like $150/each but that was a couple years ago.

EDIT: a quick look on ebay shows that the 70's Dimarzios can sell for like $75-110.
elisha wiesner

Postby mmmribsmmm on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Noted, I think I need a plug about how this is one of Ace's long lost smoke damaged guitars from the pyrotechnics installed in the control cavity.

Someone buy this.

mmmribsmmm

Postby Redline on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:Don't feel guilty at all selling the pickups on their own although you might want to check to see what those '77 Dimarzio's are going for. They definitely changed them up in the 80's so some of the early ones are kind of sought after now. I sold a couple early ones for like $150/each but that was a couple years ago.

EDIT: a quick look on ebay shows that the 70's Dimarzios can sell for like $75-110.

The exception would be cream and zebra coil PAF Dimarzio's (not the Dual Sounds or Super Distortions) from the mid-late 70's. Those are 150.00 to 200.00 easy.

70's Gibson T-Tops are awesome, unless they're the tar back Super Humbuckers, I just don't like the way they sound.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room