home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

Postby harpseal2 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:12 pm

I thought it'd be a good idea to steal kerble's wonderful thread in GD, and have an equivalent here. After all, I do a LOT of asking in other threads to see what I should get, so I figured having a separate, general thread for people to ask about stuff, rather than having specific threads (like Recommend me an Acoustic, etc.) was a good idea.

Recommend me... a bass guitar. I have one, but it's an Affinity Squier P-Bass, and it feels like ass, AND the input jack is going.

I played a J-bass once, and I really liked the feel of the neck, so if someone could recommend copies or actual Fenders, I dunno, but that's what this thread is for, eh?
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Re: Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:21 pm

I'd recommend a pro setup and repair if your bass feels like ass. If you haven't had one in a while it might come back feeling like a new guitar.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby harpseal2 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:59 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I'd recommend a pro setup and repair if your bass feels like ass. If you haven't had one in a while it might come back feeling like a new guitar.

I have more of a feeling that it's actually just the neck doesn't suit me and my hands. It's never felt very nice to me. I'm not so sure I'd spend money on a pro-setup of a second hand Squier Affinity. It cost $150, and I think a pro-setup could cost more than that.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby endofanera on Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:43 pm

harpseal2 wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I'd recommend a pro setup and repair if your bass feels like ass. If you haven't had one in a while it might come back feeling like a new guitar.

I have more of a feeling that it's actually just the neck doesn't suit me and my hands. It's never felt very nice to me. I'm not so sure I'd spend money on a pro-setup of a second hand Squier Affinity. It cost $150, and I think a pro-setup could cost more than that.

It probably wouldn't cost more than that, but even so it certainly wouldn't cost more than a replacement bass. A jack replacement (or simple resoldering) is definitely something you can do yourself. If you don't have experience doing so, this sounds like the perfect instrument to learn on.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera

Postby harpseal2 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, but I really just don't like this bass that much! I mean, I'll fix it up and all that, but I just want to try out a new bass, or get new sounds out of a different bass.

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby Bill Flaig on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Not really sure what's readily available in Australia, but I've been really happy with every Japanese Fender I've owned. There's also the Ibanez Blazer / Roadstar / Roadster series basses which can be quite nice and may be a little more affordable.

Who's bass sound are you in to?
RSMurphy wrote:I don't believe in God, but I do believe in gospel music.

beards of luxury
Bill Flaig
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Mason on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Seconding those Ibanez basses, or really, almost anything made in Japan.

As for current production, the basses in the Squier Classic Vibe series are the best inexpensive basses.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby weezy on Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Mason wrote:Seconding those Ibanez basses, or really, almost anything made in Japan.

As for current production, the basses in the Squier Classic Vibe series are the best inexpensive basses.

I agree.

If it just feels like ass, swap the neck out for a Jazz neck. Fixing the jack and setting it up is easy and something worth learning.

If it sounds like ass, just get a whole new Jazz bass, but they sound like ass to me stock. With better pickups they are much better.
weezy
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace

Postby harpseal2 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'll definitely consider those options.

Meanwhile, I've got a few more questions.

Phasor pedals?
Reverb pedals?
Cheap, affordable, versatile microphones (preferably USB)?

harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby Speedie on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:19 am

harpseal2 wrote:Cheap, affordable, versatile microphones (preferably USB)?

http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt-usb

Rode are the bomb, and are Aussie (perhaps they still are) owned.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Bon Hoga on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:55 am

Something, anything, that will prevent my strings from turning into shoelaces after two rehearsals. Back when I played pussy guitar I didn't give a toss, I changed strings as often as I had to, but now I play baritone and Bass VI and have to order strings from the US and it'd be fucking awesome if they lasted longer than a week. Thank you PRF.
http://gudron.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/gudrontheband

big_dave wrote:If you want to be a racist, the best thing to do is be Eric Clapton.
Bon Hoga
black donald
black donald

Postby 154 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:49 am

Looking for recommendations for a simple USB guitar interface for PC. Any included software with a few amp & speaker models would be cool but I don't want 8,000 options either. I just want to make reasonably good sounding demos without waking others. Thanks.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby elisha wiesner on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:04 am

Bon Hoga wrote:Something, anything, that will prevent my strings from turning into shoelaces after two rehearsals. Back when I played pussy guitar I didn't give a toss, I changed strings as often as I had to, but now I play baritone and Bass VI and have to order strings from the US and it'd be fucking awesome if they lasted longer than a week. Thank you PRF.

Unfortunately some peoples fingers have more oil/acid/whatever and they end up ruining strings much faster than other people. My guess is that this is what is happening to you. My only advice if you're looking to buy less strings is that you try boiling them after they've gone bad. It'll bring them back to life and can be done multiple times.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mason on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:35 am

Not to discourage this thread from going on, but a lot of these kind of questions have been covered on the EA boards already, harpseal. The search function can be really helpful here (try limiting your search to "topic titles only" and "list as topics").
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bon Hoga on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:20 am

elisha wiesner wrote:
Unfortunately some peoples fingers have more oil/acid/whatever and they end up ruining strings much faster than other people. My guess is that this is what is happening to you. My only advice if you're looking to buy less strings is that you try boiling them after they've gone bad. It'll bring them back to life and can be done multiple times.

Ya, I sweat Satan's piss. I've tried boiling the strings but they go brittle and break almost immediately. I wipe them off well after each band practice but that just doesn't cut it, I need something to neutralise the acid and whatever else makes them go dull. My local shop carries about a dozen different string maintenance products, I can't possibly buy them all. I mean I can but I'd obviously rather buy just one that works.
http://gudron.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/gudrontheband

big_dave wrote:If you want to be a racist, the best thing to do is be Eric Clapton.
Bon Hoga
black donald
black donald

Postby PEPPER! on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:53 am

elisha wiesner wrote:
Bon Hoga wrote:Something, anything, that will prevent my strings from turning into shoelaces after two rehearsals. Back when I played pussy guitar I didn't give a toss, I changed strings as often as I had to, but now I play baritone and Bass VI and have to order strings from the US and it'd be fucking awesome if they lasted longer than a week. Thank you PRF.

+1 on boiling them. an old friend who is a thrifty dude and a truly great bassist has done this since we saw it in a guitar nerd magazine in middle school. thanks Michael Anthony! anyway you boil 'em till the scum floats to the top - this guy will get years out of a string while sounding all boingy and fresh.

after trying a few different string sets for baritone and lap steel I ended up rolling my own with the 12-pack and 3-pack cheap Rogue bulk strings from Guitar Satan or one of those places. they probably won't solve your sweat problem but they are certainly cheap so you can order a bunch from the states at one time. I prefer the steel to the nickel ones.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby elisha wiesner on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:57 am

Bon Hoga wrote:
elisha wiesner wrote:

Ya, I sweat Satan's piss. I've tried boiling the strings but they go brittle and break almost immediately. I wipe them off well after each band practice but that just doesn't cut it, I need something to neutralise the acid and whatever else makes them go dull. My local shop carries about a dozen different string maintenance products, I can't possibly buy them all. I mean I can but I'd obviously rather buy just one that works.

I know most coated strings sound like shit but The D'Addario EXP coated strings actually sound ok. The coating is thinner than Elixers but they definitely last longer and do sound pretty good. Way better than Elixers or similar. I've only used the acoustic strings but they make electric and bass sets. Might be worth checking out.
elisha wiesner

Postby numberthirty on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:22 pm

PEPPER! wrote:+1 on boiling them. an old friend who is a thrifty dude and a truly great bassist has done this since we saw it in a guitar nerd magazine in middle school. thanks Michael Anthony! anyway you boil 'em till the scum floats to the top - this guy will get years out of a string while sounding all boingy and fresh.

Pat?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 pm

154 wrote:Looking for recommendations for a simple USB guitar interface for PC. Any included software with a few amp & speaker models would be cool but I don't want 8,000 options either. I just want to make reasonably good sounding demos without waking others. Thanks.

How simple?
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:40 pm

OK.

This suggestion was not so far off the wall -

- http://www.ghsstrings.com/products/11464-fast-fret?category_id=1964826-lubricants-cleaners

Before and after playing. A friend said he gets around an extra month now.

As for off the wall -

- One friend swears Nickel is more resistant to this sort of thing. Not so sure.
- Baby Powder on hands, strings before playing. To me, it sounds crazy.
- Caig DeoxIT Axe Wipes(I know...) -

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.275/.f

A friend is "Church Of Scientology" about those. Swears they are the best thing ever, and last for quite a while.
numberthirty

Next

Return to Tech Room