home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Help! Short scale bass needed - what have you got?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Help! Short scale bass needed - what have you got?

Postby honeyisfunny on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 am

Hi EA

Trying to do a nice thing and purchase a bass for someone's 16th birthday. Long and complicated story but the young lady concerned has some learning difficulties but is mad keen on learning the bass and myself and my bandmates have decided the right thing to do is get her something for her birthday.

My buddy Ian is out in the USA at the moment for a few days so is able to bring something back. We have a budget of about $300 and we need something that ideally is or looks like a Univox Hi Flier. One of those Eastwoods would be perfect if you know of one. Or a Hi Flier that needs some work maybe? Or even a Musicmaster-type thing. Basically - what have you got? What have your mates got? Especially if it's anywhere near Berkeley!

Thanks... long shot I know.

Chris
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: Help! Short scale bass needed - what have you got?

Postby honeyisfunny on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 am

... or does anyone know someone at Eastwood who might be into hooking us up with a deal?
honeyisfunny

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:43 am

I don't have a Hi Flyer to offer, but almost any used instrument store is going to have a Squier Jaguar Bass SS (about $150) or a Bronco Bass (looks like a musicmaster, about $100). Both are 30" scale, nice and light, definitely playable, great for a kid. Do they even make short scale Hi Flyers? I had an old Univox one and it was definitely full scale.
TomWanderer
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 am

TomWanderer wrote:I don't have a Hi Flyer to offer, but almost any used instrument store is going to have a Squier Jaguar Bass SS (about $150) or a Bronco Bass (looks like a musicmaster, about $100). Both are 30" scale, nice and light, definitely playable, great for a kid. Do they even make short scale Hi Flyers? I had an old Univox one and it was definitely full scale.

My first thought was a used Bronco Bass. They're cool.

Not to say they didn't make one but I've never seen a full scale Hi Flyer bass. They've all been just over 30".
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 am

You know, I could be wrong about that scale. I had that bass a long time ago, but I do remember that scale-wise it felt nothing like the 30" scale basses I use now. The neck was wonky on that thing anyways...
TomWanderer
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Mason on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am

My first baritone guitar was a Chris Jury Bronco conversion that was made into a Musicmaster just by replacing the pickguard. May require more effort than is called for here, but that's a good, fairly accessible option.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby jbar on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:58 pm

I bought my baby brother a Squier jaguar bass some time ago. I borrow it when my friends come down to jam, and they all love it.

Wonderfully bonky. Bonk bonk bonk.
jbar
pinochle
pinochle

Postby free meat on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 am

Squier Jag Bass was my first thought. Great, great basses, both the SS and fullscale.
free meat
baron munchausen
baron munchausen

Postby honeyisfunny on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 am

I think we're going for the Ibanez Talman - looks the business and all the reviews are positive. Plus it's available in white which is crucial here. The ladies at the local guitar repair shop can order it in as Ibanez dealers and factor a pro set-up in for the retail price so I think it's all sorted. Thanks for the recommendations!
honeyisfunny

Postby garthplinko on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm

honeyisfunny wrote:I think we're going for the Ibanez Talman - looks the business and all the reviews are positive. Plus it's available in white which is crucial here. The ladies at the local guitar repair shop can order it in as Ibanez dealers and factor a pro set-up in for the retail price so I think it's all sorted. Thanks for the recommendations!

Will be interested in your review.

The #1 thing I have noticed over the years as the quality of the more affordable instruments has seen noticeable improvement at least out-of-the box, would expect the problems to appear in the form of shoddy hardware: Tuners falling apart, crappy pots, stuff like that most of which can be pre-empted with some thread locker. Other things I've noticed are badly dressed frets where a neck may be fine in the summer but in the winter will rip the middle portions of your fingers up moving around the neck.

As always, YMMV.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby japmn on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm

I had a early 60's Silvertone bass that was really short. I loved it. It wouldn't really hold a low E well because it was so short so I tuned it ADGC. Kinda a Bari Bass. It was mega fun to play and I miss it a lot. It did the muted, snappy, Lee Hazlewood thing very well into the Fender Quad Reverb I used to have.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby ErikG on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:03 pm

The Squier Musicmaster Vista series are great. I think they only made them for a few years in the late 90s but if you can find one they are well worth it.

I also have an Eastwood Classic 4 that I dig. Seems like the prices have gone up but I see them used for not too much $$$.

Check out the Hagstrom Swede reissues. I demoed one and it sounded pretty full for a short scale. I picked up one of their Chinese made guitars several years back and can't complain about the build quality.
ErikG
grover
grover

Postby bishopdante on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Höfner have done some reissues of the short scale semi-hollow body "beatles" type basses, which are remarkably cheap.

I have no idea if they are any good, but they are cheap ($350 new, so probably half that second hand).

This one isn't a beatles look-alike
http://www.hofner-guitars.com/club-bass ... burst.html

This one is:
http://www.hofner-guitars.com/violin-ba ... burst.html
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Return to Tech Room