home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Der der der! or Der der der derrrrrr.

Sweet Caroline
2
33%
Young Hearts Run Free
4
67%
 
Total votes : 6

Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 am

Two songs.

Two windows for singalong crowd ders.

Only one winner.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
lost fisherman
lost fisherman
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby NewDarkAge on Mon May 13, 2019 6:26 am

‘Young Hearts Run Free’ is one of the all time great melancholy pop songs. Perfect bittersweet major 7 thing. Dan Bejar stole it for this song:



‘Sweet Caroline’ is just dross.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
User avatar
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2859
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:30 am
Location: South East London is a state of mind

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 am

Agreed. But this ain't no song dome. It's a der der dome.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
lost fisherman
lost fisherman
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 pm

If your question is which song is guaranteed to get a bar full of drunken idiots going der der der, it's Sweet Caroline.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9535
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 am

Still abstained from casting my vote. Sweet Caroline is a sure.thing at the darts, but Young Hearts Run Free would blitz any wedding disco.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
lost fisherman
lost fisherman
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Major on Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 am

I am 41 years old and have never heard people singing along to “Young Hearts...”, which is a great song.

I hear wet cabbage people singing along to “Sweet Caroline” at least once a week.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Great question

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue May 14, 2019 8:23 am

Oh nobody sings along to it, but they all do a 'der der der derrrr' in the chorus bit.

Singalongadome would be a no-contest.
Last edited by A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
lost fisherman
lost fisherman
 
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby RSMurphy on Tue May 14, 2019 8:50 am

I just confused "Young Hearts Run Free" with "Young Turks" which to me is another der der tune. Heck, eetsa good song period. May I be the asshole who adds another candidate to the poll, please?

Young Turks
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9574
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Tommy on Tue May 14, 2019 11:15 am

Major wrote:I am 41 years old and have never heard people singing along to “Young Hearts...”, which is a great song.

I hear wet cabbage people singing along to “Sweet Caroline” at least once a week.


THIS. But I'll expand it to der ders as well. Haven't heard that done to Rod Stewart. Are they doing it to the keyboard part of the chorus?! The doodaladee, deedeladoo part?
User avatar
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5901
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby RSMurphy on Tue May 14, 2019 11:18 am

Tommy wrote:THIS. But I'll expand it to der ders as well. Haven't heard that done to Rod Stewart. Are they doing it to the keyboard part of the chorus?!


Indeed. I do in my head. Sometimes. A lot of the time. Maybe I am misunderstanding der ders because I don't hear them in the Candi Staton tune. I also have weird ears and hear things I want to hear.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9574
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Tommy on Tue May 14, 2019 12:06 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
Tommy wrote:THIS. But I'll expand it to der ders as well. Haven't heard that done to Rod Stewart. Are they doing it to the keyboard part of the chorus?!


Indeed. I do in my head. Sometimes. A lot of the time. Maybe I am misunderstanding der ders because I don't hear them in the Candi Staton tune. I also have weird ears and hear things I want to hear.


Well shit. Me too! I had the wrong damn song. I thought it was Rod Stewart's Young Turks, which has the line in the chorus "young hearts be free tonight".

I'm going to have to go listen to this other one. Not sure I know it! Okay, I know this one too. BARELY.
User avatar
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5901
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby RSMurphy on Tue May 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Tommy wrote:
RSMurphy wrote:
Tommy wrote:THIS. But I'll expand it to der ders as well. Haven't heard that done to Rod Stewart. Are they doing it to the keyboard part of the chorus?!


Indeed. I do in my head. Sometimes. A lot of the time. Maybe I am misunderstanding der ders because I don't hear them in the Candi Staton tune. I also have weird ears and hear things I want to hear.


Well shit. Me too! I had the wrong damn song. I thought it was Rod Stewart's Young Turks, which has the line in the chorus "young hearts be free tonight".

I'm going to have to go listen to this other one. Not sure I know it! Okay, I know this one too. BARELY.


I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

I've been plagued with this affliction forever. The Stewart song holds a special place in my heart. It's one of the first songs I recognized as having some sort of hold over me.

Sorry to distract, gentlepeople
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9574
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Major on Tue May 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Maybe it’s a southern thing, but David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called By My Name” and Hank Jr’s “Family Tradition” are bonafide Der Der Classics. Puke.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: Great question

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Andrew. on Tue May 14, 2019 2:50 pm

RSMurphy wrote:I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.

I've been plagued with this affliction forever. The Stewart song holds a special place in my heart. It's one of the first songs I recognized as having some sort of hold over me.

Sorry to distract, gentlepeople


I also confused it w Young Turks at first.

I never hear this Candi Staton song anywhere. It's good.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6609
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby djimbe on Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 pm

RSMurphy wrote:

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.


Praise Jebus!

I are NOT a lonely!


God help me, I thought this was about the Rod Stewart song (which is crap as far as Rod Stewart goes) and couldn't help to understand why people would sing along drunken and mindlessly (is that what der der is?) to this like they do to that incredibly putrid fart of a song that is Sweet Caroline. It's crap Rod Stewart, but it's not Sweet Caroline. Then I find out its the wrong damn tune altogether. Fuck, I'm old.


Sweet Caroline still sucks, regardless
djimbe
cool kid
cool kid
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: chicago

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Andrew. on Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am

Btw, I always liked The Constantines' "quote" of Young Turks in the song Young Offenders. They'd also sometimes quote Neil Young's Tonight's the Night in the same song like here:



This has got to be peak "der der" if I understand the concept:

User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6609
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Der der dome: Sweet Caroline vs Young Hearts Run Free

Postby Get dog costumes on Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Here I'm 100% in the tank for "Sweet Caroline" ever since that Westerngitarrecoverkünstlermann got upended mid-chorus.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
User avatar
Get dog costumes
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:57 pm
Location: Austin, TX


Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests