Postby jimmy spako on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 am

:lol:
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: UFC

Postby Andrew. on Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 pm

I've enjoyed a few things to go up on Fight Pass during the pandemic.

-- there's a new partially animated series called Fightlore. The first and only episode so far covers Nick Diaz's post-fight hospital brawl with this muscle-bound blond guy [checks notes] Joe Riggs. It's from Riggs' perspective.

-- there's 2.5 hours of Stephen Thompson live-commenting on his own fights from his Christian videogame Twitch stream. Haha! He's great though. Other than the Twitch stuff ("Hey, alright guys it's YZD3200FLEX on the stream, all our homies are in the house! YZD3200FLEX is the man.") it's so cool.

-- there's a "Year of the Fighter" series where fighters are interviewed and reflect on the biggest year in their career. The Rose Namajunas one is great if you're a fan. Features her emotional support dog who now accompanies her to fights and it covers the two Joanna fights.

And I see there another new thing called Fight Physics which could be good. Was going to cancel my subscription but Uncle Dana may have held onto me.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Andrew. on Wed May 06, 2020 9:11 pm

So 249 is happening. Who are people rooting for?

I'm almost a bit queasy about how violent the Tony vs Justin fight will probably be. Going to prepare my girlfriend in advance for that one. I heard part of a media thing and there's no animosity between them whatsoever and no drama. They respect and admire each other and they're going to paint the canvas in blood unless JG gets an early knockout.
Andrew.

Postby Ike on Wed May 06, 2020 10:15 pm

I'm out of my MIND stoked for this card.

Ferguson vs. Gaethje, I think you're absolutely right. It's going to be brutal. Both of them seem utterly masochistic in the ring. Ferguson in particular. I wish Rose was still on the card. Why the FUCK is Hardy still getting fights?

I think Cruz/Cejudo could be really wild, too. Cejudo seems to have that "learn as you go, make adjustments" thing that Jon Jones has.

Yep. All in. It'll be the first one I've ever bought, too. Looks like we're in the clear!

STOKED.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mazacultura on Thu May 07, 2020 1:53 pm

At this point, I think Hardy is still getting fights out of Dana's spite for "The Media."

Ferguson/Gaethje will be a hoot one way or another. Great looking card top to bottom, despite this being an incredibly fucking stupid idea what should absolutely not be happening.
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Andrew. on Thu May 07, 2020 3:04 pm

mazacultura wrote:At this point, I think Hardy is still getting fights out of Dana's spite for "The Media."

Ferguson/Gaethje will be a hoot one way or another. Great looking card top to bottom, despite this being an incredibly fucking stupid idea what should absolutely not be happening.

I won't watch any Hardy fight. I watched one of those fighter picks montages for 249. Michael Chiesa was going through the card and he got to Hardy and said something like "Uh Hardy, yeah do not care" which made me smile.

And agreed 249 should NOT be happening AND I'm really looking forward to it. My lady is excited for us to make elaborate pub appetizers at home. Build-your-own caesars and chicken wings at the local pub are the main attraction of fight nights for her, though she's getting a bit more sucked into the fights. We do HIIT workouts at lunch now and some of them include some punch combinations and basic footwork, so I'm dragging her deeper into my stupid mid-life MMA thing.
Andrew.

Postby mazacultura on Thu May 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Hahaha there are worse ways to spend one's middle years. I was training at a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gym from 2011-2014 and got deep deep into things then. I mostly wander around the periphery now and pop in when something particularly fun/weird is happening. Like an ill-advised empty-arena show during a viral apocalypse. I'm interested to see what Werdum still has in the tank, and I'd like to see Waterson get the win -- been following her since Invicta. Everything else sounds like a good time.

With you on Hardy though. He doesn't even meet the world halfway with this shit. Not only is he a horrid prick, he's also a gassy, sloppy puke in the cage.
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Ike on Thu May 07, 2020 4:55 pm

My wife is gonna watch this one with me, too! She seems kinda stoked.

Just signed up for ESPN+ and bought the PPV. All set, assuming my internet holds.

Mazacultura, that's what got me into it, too, or the adjacent: I was styling aikido and a diff form of JJ, and I wrestled in high school. All of that added up to me now giving money to a fucking trump supporting meathead to watch grown adults kill each other. I've made my peace!!!!
Ike

Postby Andrew. on Fri May 08, 2020 11:48 am

We watched the 50-minute countdown special on the main and co-main events last night.

Bae's takes as a non-fan: "Cejudo will beat Cruz bc he's more intense and he wants it more and Cruz has been out with injuries for years now? Cruz is kind of cute. Looks like he could be a skater." Fair take! "Ferguson seems weird and it's gross how bloody his opponents get. He talks about not wanting to be around big egos but every single interview and training clip he's wearing sunglasses?" Fair take! "Trevor Wittman seems like an interesting person and it's cool how he sews his own custom MMA gear by hand." Correct take! "What a bad tattoo" (sees Gaethje's ribcage tattoo which is apparently the Bad Boy corporate logo). Undeniable. "So you're telling me Francis Ngannou worked in a sand quarry as a child laborer in Cameroon and was homeless in Paris before pro fighting? Wow." Fair take!

I like JG more than TF, I find JG pretty endearing, but TF deserves the title shot so much more, I'm kind of pulling for him. There will not be one dull second of this fight either way!
Andrew.

Postby mazacultura on Sat May 09, 2020 2:02 am

So Jacare tested positive for coronavirus and his fight with Uriah Hall is off. Looks like they're still going ahead with the event regardless. :shock:

But yeah, those are some very fair takes. Gaethje's Bad Boy logo tattoo is so anachronistic it's kinda charming? With his fighting style, it's like he fell right out of 1998. I love it.
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun May 10, 2020 12:04 am

Yeah, he’s far from an idiot and it somehow completely suits him. Not a trace of pretension or bullshit in the guy. He is a bad boy.

He will win and do a backflip, I think. Tony takes too many chances. Justin hits too hard and has been fighting like an assassin the last 3 fights.
Mama Clortho
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun May 10, 2020 12:09 am

I posted that just before finding out he won.

No pubs open. Round 5. Fuck. Probably the best fight.
Mama Clortho
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Ike on Sun May 10, 2020 9:26 am

Kinda surreal to watch it with no crowd there. Mostly great fights. I think the first two fights of the prelims were the best of the night, but the last three were badass. Ngannou, Jesus. Stone killer.

I think they stopped the Cruz/Cejudo fight early--2 seconds left in the round? Let it go, let them fight it out next round.

Gaethje would beat Conor and would get swarmed and controlled completely by Khabib, but I'm on board for either fight!
Ike

Postby Ike on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 pm

Poirier/Hooker tonight was one of the best fights I've ever seen, ever. Absolute war.
Ike

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Yep.

Really enjoying these fights with no audience. Something pretty special about them. It’s fucking intense.

The sound.

Glad Dustin won. Good dude.
Mama Clortho
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Andrew. on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:17 am

Phenomenal fight. Glad Dustin won, too.

Hooker gets less likable the more he talks.
Andrew.

Postby wellsyuk on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 am

It was intense, the older I get too I just look at some the smacks they take, like even imagining clashing shins at full force wearing a poker face and I just think OOWWWww, I get pains just getting up from the sofa let alone that, or taking a knee up the middle ffs.
wellsyuk
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=id5m1DeMXR8

Really grim behind the scenes post Dustin/Hooker.
Mama Clortho
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Ike on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:19 am

Mama Clortho wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=id5m1DeMXR8

Really grim behind the scenes post Dustin/Hooker.

Rough. Such a brutal fight. The Ariel Helwani interview after the fight was telling. Dustin was hard on himself, saying he was "taking pictures" after every heavy blow. He said he doesn't think he can take that much damage again--intimated he may only have a fight or two left in him. As far as fighters go he really seems like a grounded dude.

He said when they were in the hospital together (separated by a sheet!) Hooker was having a really hard time missing his family. Makes this entire covid deal seem even dumber and less worth it.

SO MASVIDAL/USMAN!!!!!!!!!!!! LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ike

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap