Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

TOOL?

CRAP
53%
NOT CRAP
47%

Total votes : 200

Postby a. james on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:07 pm

a friend was once wearing a tool shirt and my little brother said it was nice of him to have a predetermined label.

"hey, tool, come here."
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Peripatetic on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:20 pm

I thought Opiate and Undertow were OK back in the day. I kind of dug Aenima. By the time Lateralus came out I had long pawned the other records and was kind of over them, although I still gave it a listen. I worked for a huge chain record store at the time and there was a huge hype for that record (mostly from metalheads who thought Aenima was their "first one"). Taking 5 years to make a record and then having that record sound like a bunch of songs that weren't good enough to make it on the last one is crap. I haven't heard 10,000 Days and can safely say I won't anytime soon.

Crap.

:WF: 4 because Danny Carey is an awesome drummer and their old bass player was in Lusk and I like that record a great deal.
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby stipendlax on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:14 pm

Oops! I just re-read my posts. I don't like Tool is what I meant to put, most fans aren't that annoying.
stipendlax
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby you are ugly on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:34 pm

it is boring music.
you are ugly
corporal
corporal

Postby Peter on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Yes boring, yes.
But oh so emotional in it's boringness.

CRAP!
Peter
Peter
mime
mime

Postby Hairy on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:51 am

Great music for teenage boys (sorry, Young Men!).

When I was a teenage boy I loved them. I remember them having a very good live show. Maynard was hideous and got naked.

Now that I'm an older man not so much. Their music sounds like working in a factory, which is the last thing I want to hear after working in a factory. I'm not saying that I've outgrown them or moved past them, it's more like hearing a name repeated so many times it no longer makes sense.

lower case not crap, because I'm old and tired
Hairy
party clown
party clown

Postby andyman on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:17 pm

There's an interesting interview with the singer here where he dispels most of that fanboy stuff.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:36 pm

andyman wrote:There's an interesting interview with the singer here where he dispels most of that fanboy stuff.

CRAP
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:27 pm

I voted crap...perhaps I'm missing something...maybe someday it'll click, but I really doubt it.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ernest on Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

I can see why people don't like Tool, I guess the playing, the perceived arrogance, the song length, the image or lack of one, but they're really good at what they do. I've been a fan of theirs for a few years, I think since 2000, and I don't give a shit about arguing.

It's just a band for God's sake, and I don't get the idolizing thing their rabid fans do. I like the whole deal, the music, the playing style, the lyrics, the humor, but if you aren't into that, there's no way to be a fan. I think they get better as time goes, musically, but waiting five years is too fucking much. But the attitude they have, they work at their own pace, don't give a shit about some naysayers opinion, is commendable.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby madmanmunt on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 pm

They had good sound playing at the Molson Centre in Montreal, which is something I have never heard another band achive.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:19 pm

Skronk wrote:I can see why people don't like Tool, I guess the playing, the perceived arrogance, the song length, the image or lack of one, but they're really good at what they do. I've been a fan of theirs for a few years, I think since 2000, and I don't give a shit about arguing.

It's just a band for God's sake, and I don't get the idolizing thing their rabid fans do. I like the whole deal, the music, the playing style, the lyrics, the humor, but if you aren't into that, there's no way to be a fan. I think they get better as time goes, musically, but waiting five years is too fucking much. But the attitude they have, they work at their own pace, don't give a shit about some naysayers opinion, is commendable.

I like them in theory but not in practice, at least not for long. It's not the lame-asses who call themselves "huge Tool fans" (I actually had one guy say with a straight face "I'm a hard Tool fan :lol:"), and it's not their major sucess. It's just their repetitiveness. Same with Rage Agaist The Machine, it's the choice of notes and scales. They had a good thing going but it seems like they were afraid to risk changing it. I know, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but some experimentation is okay.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Tool's hardcore fans are, to put it charitably, inglorious, subnormal dickheads.

Tool themselves are astoundingly boring. I think they try and fail to rip off Swans in any meaningful way a lot, at least on that early shit.

Some tunes on Aenima really do kick ass, however. Their only Not Crap moments. The opening guitar thing or whatever it is on "Stinkfist" really is incredible - I just have no idea how they got those sounds.

Mostly, however, Tool chugs the cock.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby chingalera on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Close one....I went with not crap, as i have been very entertained by their albums and thier live shows
chingalera
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby iembalm on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:07 pm

chingalera wrote:Close one....I went with not crap, as i have been very entertained by their albums and thier live shows

"Close one?" What else do you ask for of hard rock?
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:24 am

not only crap . . . but shit
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby holmes on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:08 pm

not crap but to wanky.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby ChristopherM on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:20 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Some tunes on Aenima really do kick ass, however.

I agree with this. I think they "peaked" - creatively speaking - with that album. I still listen to it actually. Everything since then has been kinda crappy.
Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.
ChristopherM
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Re:

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:33 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Some tunes on Aenima really do kick ass.

Mostly, however, Tool chugs the cock.

Still holds true.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Re: Band: TOOL

Postby Frank Decent on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I used to be friends with a dude who loved this shit. I tried, but I just cannot accept this band. Almost everything they do I find to be a mix of boring or annoying.

Except for "Hush". I cannot help liking that stupid song. Oh well.
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap