Elvis Costello?

CRAP
22%
NOT CRAP
78%

Total votes : 108

Re: Artsist: Elvis Costello

Postby Pasta on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:47 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:Anyone have the Rhino reissues from a while back and feeling generous? I'd love to hear the demos/alternate versions on the second discs (especially of Imperial Bedroom but really of any of them) if anybody is willing to share mp3s.

Pretty sure I've got This Years Model and My Aim is True. I'll dig around when I get home.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Antero on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:46 pm

I got dem Blood & Chocolate demos. "New Rhythm Method" is the most fucking vicious thing.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Antero wrote:I got dem Blood & Chocolate demos. "New Rhythm Method" is the most fucking vicious thing.

Eh what now?
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
Antero wrote:I got dem Blood & Chocolate demos. "New Rhythm Method" is the most fucking vicious thing.

Eh what now?

oh dude check it
http://www.mediafire.com/?5iu15i26nd8v3
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby zircona1 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 pm

I don't think he's crap, but I'm not crazy about him like a lot of people are. (Where's the 'artists you should like but don't' thread?) I liked several songs on Get Happy! ('King Horse' in particular), and a few on King of America. His tunes just don't stick in my brain like a lot of songs do, in spite of the sharp songwriting.

I've heard:

This Year's Model
My Aim is True
Get Happy!
King of America

What am I missing?
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
franklin ajaye
franklin ajaye

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:40 am

zircona1 wrote:I don't think he's crap, but I'm not crazy about him like a lot of people are. (Where's the 'artists you should like but don't' thread?) I liked several songs on Get Happy! ('King Horse' in particular), and a few on King of America. His tunes just don't stick in my brain like a lot of songs do, in spite of the sharp songwriting.

I've heard:

This Year's Model
My Aim is True
Get Happy!
King of America

What am I missing?

To be honest, This Year's Model is probably his most immediate record so if you aren't crazy about that one I doubt you'll change your mind based on any others. I'm a big fan of Armed Forces, which was his attempt to synthesise (groan) some of his contemporaries (Bowie, Kraftwerk, ABBA) into the arrangement/production of his music. Not a bad song on it in my opinion, but the production might be a bit overbearing to some. On that point, the 'Beatles-esque' production and fairly byzantine songwriting on Imperial Bedroom puts off a lot of people, even fans of the earlier records, although I pretty much love it. Trust is a weird, coked up record, with some of his best songs, esepecially on the first side. It's Robert Christgau's favourite, for whatever that's worth (or not). Blood and Chocolate is incredible, a dark and fairly brutal record about jealousy, resentment, and desperation. The rawest thing he did, which might appeal to some sensibilities. If you liked some of Get Happy!! it might be worth sticking it out with that one - for me it took quite a few listens to digest (especially the second side), and now it's a favourite.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby jtyler on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:18 pm

I like Elvis Costello a lot, although I have to be in the right mood to listen to him. This Year's Model is probably my favorite record he's done. His vocal stylings can be grating at times, but he truly does have a gift with melody and words.
jtyler
pod
pod

Postby Antero on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm

zircona1 wrote:I don't think he's crap, but I'm not crazy about him like a lot of people are. (Where's the 'artists you should like but don't' thread?) I liked several songs on Get Happy! ('King Horse' in particular), and a few on King of America. His tunes just don't stick in my brain like a lot of songs do, in spite of the sharp songwriting.

I've heard:

This Year's Model
My Aim is True
Get Happy!
King of America

What am I missing?

This Year's Model is really the hook factory, but Blood & Chocolate is raw as hell and emotionally fucked up. That's the one that got my girl into Costello.

Imperial Bedroom is my favorite but it's a perfectly fair criticism to say that that's a position that only a pervert would take.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Isabelle Gall on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:19 am

If you want to hear some complicated songs about basic human loneliness and desperate clinging has Declan MacManus got the new album for you. Look Now is his best since Blood & Chocolate, maybe one of his best period.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Antero on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:If you want to hear some complicated songs about basic human loneliness and desperate clinging has Declan MacManus got the new album for you. Look Now is his best since Blood & Chocolate, maybe one of his best period.

oh shit
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap