28%
KORD
57%
KLAX
15%

Total votes : 81

Re: Major US Cities: New York City vs Chicago vs Los Angeles

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Chicago is a close third behind Melbourne for my favorite cities around the world, but Los Angeles still wins. I love the shit out of LA. everything you want or need can be found there.

Good times, good times.

I'll be going to New York within the year, I'm sure it's going to be great too.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Antero on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Really, I love all big cities.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby bluegreengold on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 pm

If one enjoys walking and wandering aimlessly just to see what may be found, then NYC wins by a long shot.
bluegreengold
judge
judge

Postby Tommy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:22 pm

I've lived in Chicago for 17 years and the climate is really the only thing I don't like about it. But boy do I hate that aspect a large portion of the year. Today's weather, however, is about as perfect as I could ask for.

I have been to LA probably 4 times and had a great time every time. Not sure I could say that if I didn't know anyone there though. Fortunately I had a good friend there with tons of great friends and stuff to do. Most of my time was spent in Silverlake/Echo Park/Eagle Rock.

I cannot say the same of NYC. I've only been there once but I had a pretty miserable time. To be fair though, I went with my gf who was there for a convention so I was by myself for 75% of my waking hours. I knew absolutely no one. I walked and rode the train all over as much of Manhattan as I could. I'll give it another shot, but not by myself.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:53 pm

As a lifelong resident of LA, I'll say this--this city is not friendly to someone who just visits or moves here unless that person has friends or family to show them around.

Unguided introductions inevitably funnel into the gross Hollywood thing, and any sane person would probably hate that. I've lived here my whole life, and I think about/deal with Hollywood about as frequently as I think about/deal with any city on the other side of the country. It's just not part of my world or the world of most of my friends. There are bountiful pockets of goodness here, but they are often well-kept secrets, which is a blessing and a curse. It should be friendlier to great people coming in from other places, but it also helps to insulate us from the assholes.

If only everyone on here had a pipeline to great people in LA . . . oh wait, there's a good crew of LA people who are active PRFers. Boom!
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tbone on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Since my last post I have spent a few days in LA, and I must say, I had a lot better of a time than I thought I'd have. Not enough to get a real feel for it. I was definitely not a fan of the needing-to-be-in-a-car-forever-to-get-anywhere aspect of LA, but I was a fan of the donut-shop-next-door-to-another-donut-shop aspect.

Also that Getty museum was pretty cool.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:49 pm

tbone wrote:Since my last post I have spent a few days in LA, and I must say, I had a lot better of a time than I thought I'd have. Not enough to get a real feel for it. I was definitely not a fan of the needing-to-be-in-a-car-forever-to-get-anywhere aspect of LA, but I was a fan of the donut-shop-next-door-to-another-donut-shop aspect.

Also that Getty museum was pretty cool.

They're working on making the city more accessible to not drive. There's a light rail that will go from downtown through the middle of the city to the west. It's structurally all done and the first phase should open in the next couple of months. Also, in the past six months, they've opened more bike paths and put bike lanes on tons of streets. Bikes even get their own lane downtown now. This all sounds absurd and obvious to denizens of other cities, but LA is playing catch up.

It's what you make it. I live a few minutes from my job. It takes me seven minutes to drive, and fifteen minutes to bike.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

AnthonyCinder

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 pm

I like them all, but if the weather we've been seeing in Chicago since about 2010 is part of a wider trend, it's easily Chicago. 2012's weather has been so beautiful that I wonder if Chicago will ever be quite the same climate-wise in my lifetime. I've never experienced anything like this last winter and this summerspring.

I think the answer to this question used to be NYC, but it's so cost prohibitive now. Maybe in Queens you don't have to live in an insanely priced shoebox? I'm a homebody, so a quality living space is important to me. Having a great party with all your friends at your easily accessible abode is key (granted, I never host them!). Kerble once said that the greatest bar in Chicago is his basement or something like that--didn't understand at the time, but I get it now.

Like others here have said, L.A. does require professional Californian guides. I can't imagine being dropped in that jungle without a buddy system to fall back on. When your downtown area is mostly a façade, you need friends on your team to show you AnthonyCinder's aforementioned "pockets of goodness". The poor opinion I had of the place did not match the reality, but it is indeed a stressful, dirty circus where the costs of living pile up on you.

If I could live in the New York of Woody Allen's Manhattan, I would, but I can't. For me, it goes smaller apple, Big Apple, but I can't fairly compare Los Angeles since it's plainly an orange.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Antero on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:As a lifelong resident of LA, I'll say this--this city is not friendly to someone who just visits or moves here unless that person has friends or family to show them around.

Yeah, for a tourist destination it's hilariously un-tourist-friendly in design.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Antero wrote:
AnthonyCinder wrote:As a lifelong resident of LA, I'll say this--this city is not friendly to someone who just visits or moves here unless that person has friends or family to show them around.

That's because awful shit like the Hollywood walk of fame and muscle beach don't appeal to you. These are the surface things that are made readily available to tourists. A discerning friend could show you some amazing hikes, great food (including top notch Mexican food in East LA), hidden beaches that aren't crawling with dickbags, and some solid art/music outlets.

But yeah, let the tourists do their thing. It keeps them away from the gems.

AnthonyCinder

Postby Antero on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:52 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:
Antero wrote:

That's because awful shit like the Hollywood walk of fame and muscle beach don't appeal to you. These are the surface things that are made readily available to tourists. A discerning friend could show you some amazing hikes, great food (including top notch Mexican food in East LA), hidden beaches that aren't crawling with dickbags, and some solid art/music outlets.

But yeah, let the tourists do their thing. It keeps them away from the gems.

Even in the sense of touristy things, imagine trying to get around without knowing the ins and outs. You'd wind up wandering a residential street for an hour.
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby hench on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:10 pm

l.a.
chicago
nyc

l.a. has the best farmers markets, the coolest cars, killer hiking, and incredible food. a 20 minute walk in one direction takes me to the beach, and a 20 minute walk in a different direction takes me to the mountains. plus, the light pollution is way less so i can actually see the stars...
hench

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap