KJFK
28%
KORD
57%
KLAX
15%

Total votes : 81

Postby ubercat on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:37 pm

The Code is Almighty wrote:The invasion stops at Chicago.

No invasion, on any level, would reach Chicago.
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:12 am

ubercat wrote:

apparently Baghdad is about the same size as Chicago. I think about that when I hear how badly the war is going. taking over just a city of this size - and the Iraqis are just as ornery and better armed - would take decades.

anyway it's good to hear from some people here who don't have an inferiority complex about New York. nearly every Chicago native I meet does. I like it plenty here. pros -

* good music & stuff do to
* small enough, yet large enough
* best cheap eats in the USA

cons -

* the CTA is terrible at moving people around
* most corrupt government / cops of any place I've ever lived in the USA (including South Florida)
* the weather is ehhhh . . .
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Your Cap'n Speakin' on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:19 am

You could live in Atlanta. A second-tier metropolis that wishes it was NYC, Chicago, or LA. A decent music scene, but otherwise blah.
Your Cap'n Speakin'
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby The Code is Almighty on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:39 am

ubercat wrote:

Really? Why not?

You've obviously not seen Red Dawn.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby greg on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 pm

LA has one great thing going for it and that is the outside. Totally comfortable climate 330+ days a year. The finest spring breeze day you get in Chicago is every day there. This is excluding the armpit valley oven area. Fun to visit friends, but I don't know about living there.

I like New York alright, would only live there if I were making loads of cash.

Chicago needs hills. If it had hills, it would be perfect. The backwards river is interesting.
greg

Postby gio on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:06 pm

greg wrote:.
I like New York alright, would only live there if I were making loads of cash.

I thought you had to move to NY first, in order to make the loads of cash... to make up for the 4x price-value factor when compared to Chicago (half the space for twice the price).

Although Bushwick might still be doable... you won't find McKinley Park real estate values there, that's for sure.

I wonder if NYC has an equivalent to the CMBA.

Chicago could use more late-night restaurant options, I'd say. And I agree about the hills. And Chicago can't be blamed for the fact that much of the surrounding midwest is just boring.... NY and LA have more interesting peripheries. Otherwise, she's doing pretty well, this town.
George
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Re: ...

Postby oxlongm on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:38 pm

gio wrote:I wonder if NYC has an equivalent to the CMBA.

I'm a proud member of the Newyork Amateur Men's BasebaLl Association.

The "New York is small" comment by the Tokyo people is bizarre. NYC is bigger in area and has about the same population as the "special wards" of Tokyo (and about 2/3rds the population of the entire prefecture. If I went to a city two-thirds the size of New York, I certainly wouldn't call it small. Probably it's more a function of the fact that the touristy areas are in a relatively small area of midtown.

The Upper West might have been fun in 1993, but the same people live there now. No, not the 2007 equivalents to them, I mean the same people 14 years older.

New York actually does have a lot of competition for the title of "capital of the world," but that competition is London. And maybe someday Shanghai.

Chet, I'd maybe check out Greenpoint or Fort Greene. These neighborhoods aren't exactly cheap, but compared to Brooklyn Heights they are. They're relatively subway-accessible to Manhattan (which ha a lot to do with how expensive a neighborhood in Brooklyn is). If you don't mind having a car, you can live somewhere outside the northwest corner and save a lot of money on housing.

Smokers are funny! They think everyone who doesn't smoke is either a college kid or a yuppie!
"It's like I'm in a rocket ship."
oxlongm
doc severin
doc severin

Postby ubercat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:52 pm

The Code is Almighty wrote:
ubercat wrote:

Really? Why not?

DON'T CRY!
ubercat

Postby The Code is Almighty on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:14 pm

ubercat wrote:
ubercat wrote:

Really? Why not?

DON'T CRY!

...um, why would I cry? Because you won't back up your asinine statement?
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby ubercat on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:30 pm

ubercat wrote:
ubercat wrote:

Really? Why not?

DON'T CRY!

Actually, "DON'T CRY!" is part of the single most famous soliloquy in Red Dawn. "Don't cry. Hold it in. Turn it into something else."

And the reason why Chicago would never be invaded is because it's pretty near last on the list of decent military targets in the US. I can think of maybe 30 more deserving targets off the top of my head. Not even sure why I'm responding to your silly notion that Chicago is a target of import. That is if we're talking about invasion.

Nukes - that's a totally different thing. Nuke targets - Chicago is #3-#5.
ubercat

Postby The Code is Almighty on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm

ubercat wrote:
ubercat wrote:
ubercat wrote:

Really? Why not?

DON'T CRY!

Actually, "DON'T CRY!" is part of the single most famous soliloquy in Red Dawn. "Don't cry. Hold it in. Turn it into something else."

My apologies. I thought that might be a possibility, but I couldn't place it in my head.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Re: Major US Cities: New York City vs Chicago vs Los Angeles

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm

I want to hear more about the two coastal cities mentioned here...
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re:

Postby ubercat on Mon May 18, 2009 7:25 pm

John George Peppers wrote:Tell that to my friends from Tokyo who one after another visit NYC and say........."We love America and NYC was fun but it's small." That really threw me off the first time I heard that.

That's hilarious. I said the same thing about L.A.

Can't wait to visit Tokyo.
ubercat

Postby tocharian on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:03 pm

LA is perverse and baroque and full of gorgeous, lethal illusions.

Chicago’s winters have been lasting till May the two years I've been here and this isn’t really working for me.

So.. I've been told that the two neighborhoods to live in in LA are Silverlake and Venice Beach. Anyone have a preference?
tocharian

Postby givemenoughrope on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:23 pm

tocharian wrote:LA is perverse and baroque and full of gorgeous, lethal illusions.

Sounds like you want to live in West Hollywood. It's no secret that if you can find intersecting gay and Jewish neighborhoods that you'll live in the nicest parts of town.

tocharian wrote:So.. I've been told that the two neighborhoods to live in in LA are Silverlake and Venice Beach. Anyone have a preference?

How's your car? If you're in Venice on a weekend night, you might not be going anywhere.
Both are very nice. Silverlake has basically two grocery stores, TJ's and Gelsons.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:43 pm

I went to LA for a week and I don't plan on returning. I found it to be more a collection of freeways and assholes than an actual city. If you're thinking about moving to LA, you're probably better off moving to Detroit - same collection of freeways and assholes, but at least it's cheap.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby mackro on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:47 pm

There's no such thing as a cheap, great neighborhood in L.A, at least anymore... the same goes for Chi and NYC too, but at least you can immediately think of great neighborhoods in the latter two.

L.A.? Everyone has a different opinion. For me, Santa Monica, La Brea Heights, Echo Canyon, North Hollywood, Long Beach near Belmont Shores circa 4th ave, and Little Ethiopia. I would have mentioned Venice or Westwood Village at one point, but the luster has worn off either. Westwood Village is just so depressing now. I feel sorry for any UCLA student. And Venice Beach has always been meh.

On second thought, maybe Mar Vista or Culver City or other 'tweener hoods in L.A. are best, because they feel like an escape from the L.A. lifestyle when you come home.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby starbird on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:47 pm

jimmy two hands wrote: I found it to be more a collection of freeways and assholes than an actual city.

Ah hahahahahahahahahaha! I couldn't have said it better myself. I lived there for 5 years, from '98-'03, and haven't been back since.

That being said, I'd pick NYC over Chicago, but only because I've spent alot more time in NYC than Chicago. I loved Chicago when I went there the two times I did, but the thought of going and living in a place that has worse winters than where I grew up (Boston), makes it a tiny step below NYC. Personally I'd pick SF over all of these but I think that's in another blog.
"You can fuck my body, baby....just don't fuck my mind."
-------
http://starbirdbooking.blogspot.com
starbird
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby etch on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:01 am

I lived in Silverlake and it's okay, better than some parts of LA. The views are nice if you live up high and there are some great big hills (Angus St.) that you can kill yourself running on. It's really gotten expensive though, the local store off Griffith Park Blvd (Mayfair) is about three times the national average for groceries. I wouldn't go out there unless you just have to live in LA. Anything (besides maybe being a big movie star) you can do out there you can do someplace else for less money and hassle.

The weather does rule though and I miss surfing but I don't think I'll ever live there again.

I liked Chicago a lot when I was there but NY is too expensive.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Janessa on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 am

Word of advice from a California-Girl-turned-Chicago-enthusiast?

DON'T GO TO LA!

Head north, sister! And don't stop 'til you hit San Francisco! That is where you want to be. Oh, wear some flowers in your hair. Say hi to my mom when you get there. And please give my respects to the sea lions at Pier 39!
John George Peppers wrote:Get out in the sun and have a High Life, I say! That's what I'm talking about! Just get outside and have a god damned High Life!
Janessa
E = mc²
E = mc²

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap