28%
KORD
57%
KLAX
15%

Total votes : 81

Re: Major US Cities: New York City vs Chicago vs Los Angeles

Postby mackro on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:59 pm

I wouldn't pass up a free chance to visit L.A., but you absolutely need a good friend to show you around and give you a proper tour. If you don't know anyone in L.A., just avoid it. You'll waste your time missing all the gems in the ginormous haystack... better off in a jewelry store, even if more pricey.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby tocharian on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:29 pm

mackro wrote:I wouldn't pass up a free chance to visit L.A., but you absolutely need a good friend to show you around and give you a proper tour.

Actually, I think I kinda get it. LA is exactly my kind of evil.

But if the me and the bf do decide to move out here, we'll definitely be checking in with the So Cal PRF contigent.
tocharian

Postby Ty Webb on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:26 am

I'll be taking my first trip to SoCal in early August, but it's for a whirlwind, 4-day bachelor party weekend, part of which is taking place somewhere mysteriously "outside the city". I have a feeling that other than the traffic between the airport and my buddy's house in Venice, I won't even know I'm in LA.

NYC or Chicago is a hard choice for me. I've loved living in NYC, though it also drives me completely up the wall. I've spent quite a bit of time in Chicago, but it's hard to form a solid opinion on a place without living there. I've had nothing but good times in Chicago. If it wasn't for the weather, I think it'd be my perfect city.
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:50 am

Ty Webb wrote: If it wasn't for the weather, I think it'd be my perfect city.

The lousy weather in Chicago actually gives the city a unique quality: the cold winters effect a kind of solidarity among the people here.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby ERawk on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:28 am

Wood Goblin wrote:

The lousy weather in Chicago actually gives the city a unique quality: the cold winters effect a kind of solidarity among the people here.

Are you sure about that?

Anyway, I voted in the CHI/SF/NYC thread and LA doesn't change anything. I've spent more time in LA than I have in SF and I have to say that I liked it better when I was outside of LA proper. I thought Santa Monica was alright but I could see myself getting sick of it fast. I enjoyed walking around the Getty Museum, which is worth it for the garden and grounds in general. Driving around the mountains up to the Ventura County line was great but goddamn, LA itself was aggravating.

I think my general attitude of California is that I like it better when no one is around.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:58 am

ERawk wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:

Are you sure about that?

. . . with one rather glaring exception. :oops:
Wood Goblin

Postby Janessa on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:10 am

New York. I've always thought I'd love to live in New York... but only if I could afford to do it up right. I guess I just can't wrap my head around surviving in such a larger-than-life city. I can't get past imagining that if I tried to do it I'd end up like the characters from Rent, lighting garbage can fires in my apartment for heat. I'm sure that’s just silly and I could make it work… it's a great city for what I do for a living. But something about NYC has always seemed untouchable and impossible and other-worldly. I guess that's why I love visiting there so much. It's like I'm in a movie, always an outsider looking in on some amazing scene on the other side of the glass.

Los Angeles. Okay. I'm going to state an opinion that may get me in trouble now with fans of LA, or LA residents (Bumble, you listening?! I’mma state an opinion!) Sorry LA fans! Here goes.

I think that LA serves up most of the worst that California has to offer, and very little of the best. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, went to college in San Diego, spent lotsa time in LA. So I've gotten to experience the many facets of The Golden State. And while I love it there and still think of it as home, I have always stood by the opinion that largely, California has no real soul. It's a young state, it's a commuter state, it's full of tract housing and people who (more often than not) moved there from elsewhere for the great weather, so they could get soft and relax, never shovel snow again, never fight the wind. The sports teams, while there are many, have a hard time motivating the masses to care. There is very little neighborhood pride, like here in Chicago. California (LA in particular) is just so sprawling and widespread, and you have to drive to get anywhere... usually 20 minutes or more. It's a place where people tend to mind their own business. LA is the very embodiment (again, so sorry LA lovers!) of a city with no soul. It’s just… there.

To me, the one place in California that’s immune to these shortcomings is (the city of -- not the surrounding 'burbs) San Francisco. Now that’s a great, great, world-class city that has its own soul, and the people who live there take pride in living there. Like Chicago!

Chicago. People always chide me for leaving San Diego for Chicago. But the thing is, after college I was hungry to live somewhere where I could really feel like I was a part of a living, breathing, cultured place with some real depth and history. I was blown away by the friendliness of the people in Chicago... it's got this great mix of Metropolitan excitement and Midwestern hospitality. I was instantly charmed by the undying (albeit tough) love for the Cubs, Sox and Bears. I remember the first time I went to a game at Wrigley Field, the Cubs were annihilated. There was this great old super fan type guy with a thick Chicago accent, who screamed at his own team's pitcher to “retire with fucking dignity!” I thought that was just great! He was so into it! And even though I'm not really a Cubs fan, I found myself getting caught up in the tidal wave of excitement the Bartman year. I actually threw a piece of pizza at the TV when they blew it in the playoffs. (Very out of character for me).

I fell in love with Chicago because of the harsh winters, and the fact that people keep fucking staying here! It's perfect. I hate the winters, but I love the character they've helped the city and its people build.

Chicago is my tall dark and handsome. LA is just (not counting the rare great, gritty seediness you can find in some of the hidden gem type areas) bubbly, blonde and buxom.

So, to me, it's Chicago, New York and then, if I must, LA. (Sorry again LA... don't mean to slam your city so hard! I just really love it here in Chicago.)
John George Peppers wrote:Get out in the sun and have a High Life, I say! That's what I'm talking about! Just get outside and have a god damned High Life!
Janessa
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby fredrock on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Just a quick thought--if you eliminate weather as a determining factor, who gets the nod? IMO, it seems to carry waaay too much weight in many discussions. I'm not saying it shouldn't count, but a rat race is still a rat race, regardless of the weather.
CHICAGO--for all the other positive things already mentioned.
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby tocharian on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Oh Janessa, I think it's time you come and have another look at LA. It has this decadent, riddled, Gatsby-esq quality that I’ve never seen the likes of in any other American city. It’s acres and acres of David Hockney houses along costal highways punctuated by overturned Mercedes and paramedics. It’s William Randolf Hersts building sea-side Taj Mahals for Marion Davies along the road from Santa Monica to Malibu. Venture far enough into Mulholland Drive and you’re likely to find a brick-for-brick replica of a Rhineland monastery or some other such weirdness. Crazy. True, people here don’t live for weekends out on the pontoon boat with their transistor radios tuned to Cubs games, but they do shut down the major highways to hold a funeral Michael Jackson. LA is the exact sort of too-wealthy hubris and extravagance that’s probably responsible for the more fantastic cities in Europe but seems largely dormant there today.

I can understand how most reasonable people would find this repellent, but I’m enjoying it.
Last edited by tocharian on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tocharian

Postby ERawk on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Tocharian, are you out there right now?

I keep putting off putting up my LA pics on Facebook (taken over two years ago). I got some very good pictures of Santa Monica around the pier and The Getty.

I have a black and white roll that I took while driving around PCH/the mountains that has been sitting in a freezer until I get around to processing it.

That's at least a plus for LA.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tocharian on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 pm

I am. Los Angeles Unified School District is shacking a bunch of SLPs up in Marina Del Rey to service kids in Koreatown.

Currently looking for a Venice Beach apartment with a little pebble and beech wood Mr. Miyagi backyard to call my own.
tocharian

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 pm

One less cool thing in LA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mitchell_(organist)
Super bummed. I was planning on going to hear Bob rip on the organ tonight.
Bob Mitchell R.I.P.
At least you'll be buried a block from my practice space.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Nina on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:31 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:One less cool thing in LA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mitchell_(organist)
Super bummed. I was planning on going to hear Bob rip on the organ tonight.
Bob Mitchell R.I.P.
At least you'll be buried a block from my practice space.

That sucks. I had the pleasure of seeing him play a couple of times. He was awesome.

RIP Mr. Mitchell.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby anarchyinthebronx on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:07 pm

New York City in a minute. Probably because I lived the longest in this city and have returned since. I also enjoyed living in upsate New York for a time. One drawback about NYC is of course cost, as mentioned earlier.

L.A. I haven't been to in a while. I used to live in Southern California as a kid. The weather is a plus but the freeways and L.A. cultural scene are major drawbacks.

Chicago I haven't been to yet...but I hope to remedy at some point.
The day I follow Aubrey Hale Clayton on a wet deck - that day, I cut my throat.
anarchyinthebronx
vishnu
vishnu

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:27 am

I'm in LA and I can't really disagree with any of the informed opinions here. Plenty of muck and nonsense. Recently, when a native asked me how long I've lived here and I told him (5 Years), his response was "So, you're just starting to like it." He's right.

If I could live anywhere in the US it would be in a pre-Giuliani New York City. I grew up 2 hours away from that monster but now I think it's gone forever. Someone tell me I'm wrong, please.
givemenoughrope

Postby The Code is Almighty on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:26 am

Wood Goblin wrote:

Exactly. It's part of what makes us great.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby givemenoughrope on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:18 pm

givemenoughrope

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:about 5:10, just sayin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4i5WkkXdmc

Pretty awesome take on things, but let's keep in mind that this is a guy who also loved and/or admired Klaus Kinski and Timothy Treadwell.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby skatingbasser on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:27 am

I have been to NYC many times. Then I went to school there for a year.

I visited Chicago once for a week.

Fuck LA.

Chicago wins it for me.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 am

The GATHERING OF THE JUGGALOS can only be made possible by Illinois/Michigan types.

Los Angeles wins.
AnthonyVillalobos

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap