KORD
57%
KLAX
15%

Total votes : 81

Re: Major US Cities: New York City vs Chicago vs Los Angeles

Postby The Code is Almighty on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:26 am

Wood Goblin wrote:
The lousy weather in Chicago actually gives the city a unique quality: the cold winters effect a kind of solidarity among the people here.

Exactly. It's part of what makes us great.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby givemenoughrope on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:18 pm

vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:about 5:10, just sayin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4i5WkkXdmc

Pretty awesome take on things, but let's keep in mind that this is a guy who also loved and/or admired Klaus Kinski and Timothy Treadwell.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby skatingbasser on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:27 am

I have been to NYC many times. Then I went to school there for a year.

I visited Chicago once for a week.

Fuck LA.

Chicago wins it for me.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 am

The GATHERING OF THE JUGGALOS can only be made possible by Illinois/Michigan types.

Los Angeles wins.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby vockins on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:27 am

"manufactured"

That's pretty much exactly right, and why that city is an easy third in this contest.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Nina on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:

Pretty awesome take on things, but let's keep in mind that this is a guy who also loved and/or admired Klaus Kinski and Timothy Treadwell.

Kinski was awesome.

Let's keep in mind that this (Herzog) is a guy who was shot with a bb gun during an interview here in LA. I guess to him, "manufactured dreams" and "trends" and more powerful than bbs.

As if I needed one, Rollins is another reason for me to vote for anywhere other than LA.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby givemenoughrope on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:20 pm

I think that if someone like Herzog says that LA has the most substance, he really means it and it's probably true. It's got plenty of on-the-surface nonsense and delusion also. The craziest people I've ever seen live here. Period.

The "manufactured dreams" thing. I think he means more along the lines of films being our modern myths ala Joseph Campbell, etc. In that sense, who could argue. They are the "dreams of us all" that happen to be put on film and then sold back us. Duh. I guess it could work either way.

5.5 years in, I'm coming around to Los Angeles...barely. Still don't want to die here. Still feel sorta like a NatGeo reporter. Can't shake my east coast-ness. No way. Just the driving styles alone...
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby John Houlihan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 pm

tocharian wrote:Oh Janessa, I think it's time you come and have another look at LA. It has this decadent, riddled, Gatsby-esq quality that I’ve never seen the likes of in any other American city.

Uh, The Great Gatsby is set in New York.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Janessa on Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:55 am

Dr. Venkman wrote:
tocharian wrote:Oh Janessa, I think it's time you come and have another look at LA. It has this decadent, riddled, Gatsby-esq quality that I’ve never seen the likes of in any other American city.

Uh, The Great Gatsby is set in New York.

Ha! I decided to let that one slide. :)
John George Peppers wrote:Get out in the sun and have a High Life, I say! That's what I'm talking about! Just get outside and have a god damned High Life!
Janessa
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby Minotaur029 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:40 am

Nina wrote:Kinski was awesome.

My Best Fiend is immensely entertaining, but I for one am relieved that Klaus Kinski can only be viewed from the safest of distances.

Nina wrote:Let's keep in mind that this (Herzog) is a guy who was shot with a bb gun during an interview here in LA. I guess to him, "manufactured dreams" and "trends" and more powerful than bbs.

I love that interview. Herzog was entirely unfazed and apparently even enjoys being shot at. Didn't want to call the police or anything.

Why in the hell did someone shoot him with an air rifle? What the fuck?
Minotaur029

Postby tocharian on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes Skronk. You're right. Gatsby is only relevant to New Yorkers and is in no way an American archetype.

Since we're bein' all literal here, by "Gatsby" I meant that decadent, doomed American striver.

Have a nice day EA!
tocharian

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm pretty sure Skronk did not even post in this thread.
Minotaur029

Postby tbone on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 pm

I gotta go with:

1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. LA

I am partial to Chicago, admittedly, since I grew up around here and it was kind of the default/logical/easy choice when I wanted to make the move to a big city upon reaching adulthood. But whenever I have visited anywhere else and attempted to look at it as a possible place to move someday, there's always something about it that doesn't compare to Chicago. Sure, we have some long, horrible winters, but my theory is that if it weren't for those, and specifically, the month of February here, the worst of the complainers would have no reason to get the hell out of our fair city. 10 million people would live here. Traffic's already horrible--I can't imagine what it would be like if millions more moved here because they weren't deterred by rough winters.

I'm just so used to the weather around here that it never reaches the "I need to get the fuck away from this" level of annoyance. Sure it isn't fun waiting on an exposed Blue Line platform when the trains are inevitably delayed on the coldest days of the year, but that's why man invented winter clothing. Wear some long johns and cover your damn ears, and shut the fuck up about it being cold. Also, after the first few days of that in December or maybe January if you're lucky, you're steeled for the rest of the winter. Then, when it hits 70 for the first time in, say, April, it's like HELLO BOOBS.

Honestly I'm moreso annoyed by the political corruption and mafia-like police force than the weather. Those reasons would force me out well before the weather would.

Other great things about Chicago:
- We're in the middle of the country, and we're a huge city. Every touring band, comedian, whatever, always hits Chicago on tour.
- You can afford to live here. You can afford to buy a place here in a neighborhood where you probably won't get killed much more easily than most enormous cities.
- Our museums are top notch
- Free outdoor movies and music at Millenium Park during the summer. As documented in great detail on this forum, Shellac played one of these this year.
- As much as the public trans can be a pain in the ass and kinda dirty, it's actually very easy to get almost anywhere in this city, and comparatively cheap. Flat rate of $2.25 to go all the way from O'Hare to the loop and out to Midway via the el. (As long as you don't get out and do something along the way).
- Hot Dougs, Kuma's corner. Fancy fine dining all over the place. Cheap as hell but amazingly delicious neighborhood restaurants.
- Neighborhood bars with Old Style signs everywhere.

NYC is a fun place to visit. Everyone knows someone that lives there. Too expensive for my tastes, and too big. Chicago's fucking big, but NYC is just a whole 'nother level. LA I admit that I've never been to, unless you count waiting in LAX for a connecting flight for an hour. But from everything I've ever heard about it, it doesn't seem to appeal to me. At all.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tbone on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Also, sometimes, if the wind is just right, downtown smells like chocolate.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Antero on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:44 pm

tbone wrote:Also, sometimes, if the wind is just right, downtown smells like chocolate.

Possibly my favorite aspect of Chicago. Downtown LA does not smell like chocolate.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Ernest on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:I'm pretty sure Skronk did not even post in this thread.

I posted on page two, a couple of sentences. I guess she mistook me for Venkman.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby pwalshj on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Queens >or= Chicago.

Yes, I'm drunk. But! .. I'm right.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:12 pm

tbone wrote:Also, sometimes, if the wind is just right, downtown smells like chocolate.
And if the wind is just wrong, downtown smells like chocolate and sewage. but it's still better than the smell of garbage in NY, or the smell of smog and assholes in LA.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Junkyard on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:59 am

Why compare? They're all great cities. I've lived in two of them (NYC AND LA) and I have visited Chicago multiple times. Each city has its own personality and vibe that can't be compared. If I had to choose between the three, where i would want to live, that would be NYC. But mainly because I know it well and have any friends there.

Boston and San Francisco are also as great in teir own ways, as the three cities you mentioned.

If I were to pick, in order of where i'd like to live it would probably go like this:

NYC
Boston/ San Francisco (toss up)
Chicago
Los Angeles
Junkyard
adjutant
adjutant

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap