Yes?

Yes.
51%
No.
49%

Total votes : 109

Re: Band: YES

Postby boilermaker on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm

I couldn't get through that. I feel sick.
boilermaker
princess di
princess di

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:35 am

Egads!

What the fuck? You never let Steve Howe sing alone, ever! I don't understand how that performance would in any way adequately promote a "symphonic" record. It is also worth noting that at the time of that video, no one performing was actually a member of the band Yes.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:22 am

alex maiolo wrote:Asia formed out of this.

I can only imagine being an old-school proghead in the '80s and hearing about a new band with John Wetton, Steve Howe, and Carl Palmer, getting a Prog Boner (would not see) over this news...and then hearing the actual album.

I bet many beards were filled with tears.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Redline on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:31 am

I'm sorry I posted that. Let this live version of Beyond and Before wash the taste out of your mouths...
phpBB [media]
Last edited by Redline on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kerble on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:04 pm

DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:Egads!

What the fuck? You never let Steve Howe sing alone, ever! I don't understand how that performance would in any way adequately promote a "symphonic" record. It is also worth noting that at the time of that video, no one performing was actually a member of the band Yes.

Is it wrong to look at Howe's headless guitar in that video, and wishing that he was headless, too?
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Angus Jung wrote:

I can only imagine being an old-school proghead in the '80s and hearing about a new band with John Wetton, Steve Howe, and Carl Palmer, getting a Prog Boner (would not see) over this news...and then hearing the actual album.

A Beard of Tears sounds like a prog album title.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby cesb on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Angus Jung wrote:

Watching my friends put that record on after it came out was like when Beavis and Butthead get a particularly heinous video and they get that deer caught in the headlight look and bust out the "What the hell is THIS crap."

On a side note, I believe "Only Time Will Tell" has the absolute rock-bottom worst time-keeping I've ever heard on a hit song. It's breathtaking. At some point, you actually stop laughing and start rooting for Palmer, the plucky underdog. Most drummers would have abandoned that particular take about 2 measures into the hi-hat pattern behind the first verse.
Mike G. | +@-
cesb
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Location: La Grange. No, La Grange ILLINOIS. No, Evanston, I mean.

Postby enframed on Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:43 pm

cesb wrote: "Only Time Will Tell"

Ha. I loved that song when it came out, whenever that was. Man, I couldn't get enough. Used to play it on the jukebox at Me-N-Ed's pizza while I was working.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby readandburn on Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm

alex maiolo wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:YES's Eighties makeover, even in the horrific context of that decade, was truly remarkable.

As if the writing wasn't on the wall:

I mean, you have both of the guys from Buggles replacing two Prog Warriors. I think that was an "this is what the kids like these days" if there ever was one.
Asia formed out of this.
In a way so did Art Of Noise.

-A

I'd rather listen to Trevor Horn sing than Jon Anderson.
readandburn
future member of the green party

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Remarkably little difference, which probably accounts for the choice of him as vocalist.

I dunno man, this song even namechecks the band. I guess it would be worse if they were all wearing Yes t-shirts.

The bassline is solid though. If only they'd have nixed the flanger.

That whole record is pretty weak, but when I was 12 I kinda thought it rocked.
There are very few records I changed my mind about so drastically.
I guess you could say Drama-tically.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby 154 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:15 pm

kerble wrote:
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:Egads!

Is it wrong to look at Howe's headless guitar in that video, and wishing that he was headless, too?

Man, if there was ever another guitarist who needed to 'pull a Buckethead'...

Postby John Houlihan on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:20 pm

John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby readandburn on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Redline wrote:I still love that bass line.

Christ, that Strat is ugly...

Then Roy Thomas Baker tried to produce them and they all partied and Alan White broke his ankle roller skating and that was pretty much the end...

This is insane. So bad..

1. Bill Bruford always seemed like an intelligent guy, what the fuck was he thinking to be part of this?
2. The guy playing bass may be a worse singer than Steve Howe.
3. Steve Howe looks even worse now:

readandburn

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Inspired by DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE's post I've listened to Relayer twice now and can't decide if it's the best Yes album I've ever heard or the worst, a towering edifice of mad, brilliant bullshit all the same.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 pm

The best stuff Yes ever did was before they were in Yes.

Chris Squires' first big band, The Syn:

And Steve Howe's, Tomorrow:

I love both of these songs.
Like, a lot.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby alex maiolo on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Re: Relayer

I seem to recall thinking Sound Chaser started out sounding promising in a free jazz kinda way, then it got all Yessy, like super pronto.
Awwwww...

-A

EDIT: Curious, I looked for this song and found a live version too. Obviously impressive playing in a "wow, that guy can cook a four course meal, alphabetize his CD's, masturbate and recite the Ramanyana from memory, all at once" kind of way, but what struck me was Jon Anderson had a floor tom on stage LIKE, 25 YEARS BEFORE IT WAS COOL.
Whatevs, Brooklyn!"

alex maiolo

Postby countwatula on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:27 pm

There aren't many arguments against this band's good albums besides "HURRR WHITE PEOPLE!!! NOODLING!!!"

So yes.
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

Postby i am the smud on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:48 am

countwatula wrote:There aren't many arguments against this band's good albums besides "HURRR WHITE PEOPLE!!! NOODLING!!!"

So yes.

This post made me laugh

So, this thread inspired me to pick up Close To The Edge again, the only Yes album I've spent any significant amount of time with (besides the greatest hits album that me and my girlfriend listen to in her car). This album may never get old to me, 7 years after first hearing it I still get the same thrill over and over just listening to Chris Squire play.

But I dunno, I've never been really compelled to try out their other albums. Fragile kind of leaves me cold, even Roundabout, which I like, but it doesn't get me off quite like Siberian Khatru. Reviews of their other albums aren't too encouraging, lot of people say they lost the plot after CTTE.

I'm listening to Relayer right now, first track. Certain sections are interesting, the stuff between 5:00 and 7:00 is cool. I don't know if I'd be compelled to listen to this quite as often as I do CTTE though. This just doesn't feel as 'composed' as CTTE.

Robert Christgau once wrote, "they segue effortlessly from Bach to harpsichord to bluesy rock and roll and don't mean to be funny." He's got a point, I don't really think you could accuse Yes of having a sense of humor about what they do. But fuck him, Yes rule.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby alex maiolo on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am

i am the smud wrote:I'm listening to Relayer right now, first track. Certain sections are interesting, the stuff between 5:00 and 7:00 is cool.

But you have to admit, it's funny that you even get to refer to the section "between 5:00 and 7:00" if you think about it.
"Then it gets interesting again right at about 14:34"
Only with Yes and a few other bands is it even possible to say such a thing.

Robert Christgau once wrote, "they segue effortlessly from Bach to harpsichord to bluesy rock and roll and don't mean to be funny." He's got a point, I don't really think you could accuse Yes of having a sense of humor about what they do. But fuck him, Yes rule.

Personally I don't think they rule, but I do love the the bass line, and how it sounds - that growl - in Yours Is No Disgrace.
...I mean between 0:41 and 1:22

-A
alex maiolo

Postby i am the smud on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 pm

alex maiolo wrote:Personally I don't think they rule, but I do love the the bass line, and how it sounds - that growl - in Yours Is No Disgrace.
...I mean between 0:41 and 1:22

-A

He was referring specifically to Siberian Khatru, I believe. I'm not sure I believe they rule either, but Christgau can still suck a bag of dicks.

Just finished Soundchaser. That song was basically every valid criticism of Yes balled into one stupid fucking song. What the hell was that Cha Cha shit about? Parts of it sounded like the worst excesses of Jimmy Page and Herbie Hancock doused with a heaping portion of mystical roger deakin artwork bullshit. This is why people hate Yes.

To Be Over is playing now. This song sucks.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap