Faith No More

Caca
38%
Coco
62%

Total votes : 63

Re: Band: Faith No More

Postby harpseal2 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:10 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Out of interest, what do you do that forces one of those three albums on you every day? Sounds like an odd gig to have.

My brother.

M.H wrote:FM harpseal2 has just outed himself as Mike Patton. He doesn't want to derail the money train, but his feelings need to be vented somehow now he's not making music w/ Fantomas and/or Zorn.

Uh-oh, you found me out!

agiant wrote:Dude pissed in his shoe, lifted the shoe up to toast the audience, and drank it.
Corporate rock :smt005

As I said, it sounds like the band was like forced at gunpoint to write 12 songs.

"Look at me, lady! I'm just a little baby!"

Those are the worst lyrics I've ever heard.

His music actively offends my ears, so I suppose he metaphorically pissed in my shoe.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:47 pm

harpseal2 wrote:
Those are the worst lyrics I've ever heard.

There's so much worse out there.

Finding them could be fun.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby aldofarian on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 pm

harpseal2 wrote:My brother.

My brother forced me listen to Gong when we were teenagers. He still has a cassette player in his car and he still plays the same Gong tapes. He will be 47 years old this year.

This is your future.
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby DrAwkward on Mon May 11, 2015 9:59 am

New album is streaming at NPR. Fuck the anti-FNM crowd; this is wonderful.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby biscuitdough on Mon May 11, 2015 10:22 am

You know what? I've made peace with this.

It's something I really liked for a brief period, like Tom Waits or, for a briefer period (say a week) Joanna Newsom. Much the same, there's a lot of craft that went into it, but it follows a formula and is too much of itself for my taste.

FNM has the disadvantage of a couple of friends of mine who still insist they're the best band ever. Also of my own embarrassment - I probably wouldn't think Tool are so puerile if I hadn't been all about them when I was 14. But whatever, I can let it lie.
biscuitdough
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby agiant on Mon May 11, 2015 3:34 pm

DrAwkward wrote:New album is streaming at NPR. Fuck the anti-FNM crowd; this is wonderful.

I got a leaked copy on BitTorrent (terrible audio quality), I like it very much.
They are doing their own stuff, like 20 years ago (and doing it well). I am very happy :smt006
blah
agiant
marmoset
marmoset

Postby aldofarian on Tue May 12, 2015 2:37 am

agiant wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:New album is streaming at NPR. Fuck the anti-FNM crowd; this is wonderful.

I got a leaked copy on BitTorrent (terrible audio quality), I like it very much.
They are doing their own stuff, like 20 years ago (and doing it well). I am very happy :smt006

It's geographically restricted for streaming (no idea why) but here is a list of where you can listen in a variety of countries:
http://newfaithnomore.com/2015/05/11/listen-to-faith-no-more-sol-invictus-stream-find-out-where-you-can-listen-in-your-country/
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby agiant on Tue May 12, 2015 4:13 pm

phpBB [media]
blah
agiant
marmoset
marmoset

Postby Arson Smith on Tue May 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Decent new track

phpBB [media]

I feel bad, but I was kind of bored by the 3 minute mark.

I also don't think that keyboard "tone" is for me, anymore.

:|
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby aldofarian on Tue May 19, 2015 2:48 pm

I think they've made a very solid new record. Probably the most consistent record since Angel Dust.

Matador which they have been playing for a couple of years is my favourite track but all 10 work in their only little ways:

phpBB [media]
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby DrAwkward on Wed May 20, 2015 12:55 am

aldofarian wrote:I think they've made a very solid new record. Probably the most consistent record since Angel Dust.

Definitely agree with this. It's much more cohesive than the last two.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Major on Wed May 20, 2015 5:51 am

The new album made me realize I don't like Faith No More no more. I even went back through some of the previous albums and they did nothing for me.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby soundsofcallado on Wed May 20, 2015 9:52 am

I really like the new record. Prefer the album songs to the singles; like Motherfucker more than Superhero.

Solid album. I really didn't think AOTY was that all over considering the band. This record sounds like the most logical move from that time. It has that same sense of space to me. Music is tighter and they sound sharp.

I enjoy it. I do wish that they would do something really crazy and unexpected again with their music.

That's my only complaint on the record: Sol Invictus (the track) is really great and it hints at something even cooler and yet it seems like the track gets cut short.

All in all a good record. Least pretentious of the reunited bands thing that's going on.
My Label: sweetsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com

My Bands: Callado, Lucy Stoner, Oceanray
soundsofcallado
utility man
utility man

Postby Gramsci on Wed May 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Gave the new one a good listening today... First thought was "at least they didn't disgrace themselves" but after a couple of plays it really starts hanging together. Requires repeat listening and is actually a really good record.

Initially a B-
After a few listens A-

Best Track: Matador
Best moment: when Motherfucker arrives
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby agiant on Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 am

Pitchfork rating: 6.0. So FNM is doing it right.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20339-sol-invictus/
blah
agiant
marmoset
marmoset

Postby AdamN on Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am

Premier Rock Forum Approval Rating: 6.5... oh wait, now it's 6.4 :smt006

CRAP.
AdamN
dr. j
dr. j

Postby soundsofcallado on Thu May 21, 2015 4:44 pm

agiant wrote:Pitchfork rating: 6.0. So FNM is doing it right.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/20339-sol-invictus/

Had a good laugh.
My Label: sweetsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com

My Bands: Callado, Lucy Stoner, Oceanray
soundsofcallado
utility man
utility man

Postby jimmywahcrowbar on Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 pm

I've listened to the new album a couple of times and I don't like it that much. As a youngster FNM were one of my most favourite bands, and I still put Angel Dust on every now and then.

But I never really got into any albums after Angel Dust, and nothing has changed with this new album. Maybe it needs more Jim Martin? Anyway, I'll give it a couple more listens before I put it away.
jimmywahcrowbar
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Evin Relocation on Fri May 22, 2015 2:38 am

Is the whole Jim Martin "thing" not a "thing" with most fans? Because I know some folks are just like "No Jim? No point!" about the whole reunion.
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby aldofarian on Fri May 22, 2015 2:54 am

Evin Relocation wrote:Is the whole Jim Martin "thing" not a "thing" with most fans? Because I know some folks are just like "No Jim? No point!" about the whole reunion.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/the-untimely-death-and-glorious-rebirth-of-faith-no-more

Roddy wrote:Was it understood that Jim Martin would not be involved, or did you initially reach out to him?
Oh, we totally reached out to him. I was of the mind that, of course we would not do this without Jim. There’s no way. I think we all felt pretty strongly about that initially—well, some of us maybe more strongly than others. Jim was a real contentious person in the band, but I loved him. He’s a great guy, and a real oddball. He’s the total polar opposite to what I’m all about—you could not find two more different people in a band than he and I—but I like him and I’ve always liked him. I wanted him to do it, and I actually talked to him about it. I thought it was going that way, but it just didn’t work out.

Did he just have no interest?
I think he had interest. But I think he also had really pent-up resentments about the way we broke up. I think it was difficult for him to come back into the fold, and he set it up in such a way that… I think, unconsciously, he was gonna cut off his nose to spite his face. Like he was so damaged from resentment that he dug a hole and didn’t come out of it. Which is a shame. That’s my take. I’m sure he’d tell you a different story, but he’s a very masculine, closed person who doesn’t really talk about that sort of stuff.

He’s a championship pumpkin farmer now.
Yeah, we talked about that. I think he has two daughters and he’s married. I think he still makes some music. And he grows pumpkins. He seems happy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/faith-no-more-how-rocks-most-contrarian-band-made-up-and-came-back-20150512?page=8

Next, Bottum placed a phone call to Jim Martin, the guitarist on their two best-selling albums to feel out his interest. "It was a very strange conversation," remembers Gould. "He said he would do it. He said this was not an emotional thing. 'But there are some songs we wrote after you.' And he's like, 'That's not a problem.' So on the surface it was great, but it didn't really feel right."

Gould says that Martin made a remark about sending a contract to his fax machine, and that was ultimately the wrong energy for something that was just coming together as four old buddies connecting. "We left on a bad note. It had been 20 years. We have some catching up to do with ourselves; do we really want to bring this other energy into this fragile thing where we don't even really know what it means?" the bassist says. "So it's like, no. It just didn't feel right."

For my tuppeny worth, I always liked Jim's playing. I think he was genuinely innovative in his rhythm playing. I met him once back in 1990 and he obviously liked the rock star lifestyle. He was very different to the rest of the band in that sense.

To me, Puffy and Billy have always driven the sound of the band though. Everybody else is frills.
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap