crap/not crap

crap
50%
Not Crap
50%

Total votes : 165

Re: Band:Modest mouse

Postby Tommy on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:31 pm

SecondEdition wrote:"Float On" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

jimmy two hands wrote:I saw Modest Mouse play live once, and it had to be the most disappointing and boring show ever.

Saw them on Austin City Limits once. Right after they played that fucking song the dude is so proud of himself he shouts, "Welcome to my day job!"
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:37 pm

SecondEdition wrote:"Float On" is one of the worst songs I've ever heard in my life.

I don't mean this as a defense of that particular song, but more as a praise of your good luck: You have not heard many songs.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 pm

I saw some clips of them playing on youtube and they looked bored (and/or stoned) out of their minds on lots of them.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Andrew. on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:58 am

I saw them in 99 or 2000 and they were pretty good.

How crazy is it that Johnny Marr joined this group.

Isaac Brock and Morrissey should do a duets album.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby BobbyPeru on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:31 am

Been listening to LCW in the car the last few days... I used to consider this record pretty amazing, now it's enjoyable but much more for nostalgia than quality of the music.

I would have to say Modest Mouse are CRAP in 2014 and have been so for a long time.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby atomjackfuser on Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:30 pm

Reissues

October 28th This Is A Long Drive...

November 4th Lonesome Crowded West
atomjackfuser
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby kerble on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Is that going to be better or worse for my original pressings of both? Curious.
They were going for about $300 a piece a bit back, but I don't have a ton of records and kinda never sell them.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby atomjackfuser on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:29 pm

kerble wrote:Is that going to be better or worse for my original pressings of both? Curious.
They were going for about $300 a piece a bit back, but I don't have a ton of records and kinda never sell them.

They are getting pressed on 180g vinyl, so it would be rather shitty of them to press sub par recordings on higher quality vinyl. So to answer your question. Not a clue.
atomjackfuser
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby jacobwilliam on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:02 pm

FM kerble, I would have a hard time believing these reissues would effect the value of your original pressings.
jacobwilliam
second class
second class

Postby nicholas on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 pm

kerble wrote:Is that going to be better or worse for my original pressings of both? Curious.

As a person who sells records for a living, I'd advise unloading them now if you think you want to get rid of them in the next few years. They'll always be worth more than the reissues, but $300 is the kind of crazy money you only get for something that's otherwise unavailable on the format. I once got around $150 for original Tomato pressings of Towne Van Zandt records. Once Fat Possum reissued those, I'm lucky to get around $50. Just one example among many.
I play in Suzanne The Plan and run Endless Records.
nicholas
padre
padre

Postby scntfc on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:06 am

nicholas wrote:

As a person who sells records for a living, I'd advise unloading them now if you think you want to get rid of them in the next few years. They'll always be worth more than the reissues, but $300 is the kind of crazy money you only get for something that's otherwise unavailable on the format. I once got around $150 for original Tomato pressings of Towne Van Zandt records. Once Fat Possum reissued those, I'm lucky to get around $50. Just one example among many.

yeah, no way the original pressings will be worth as much after reissues are out. i sold my copies of lonesome crowded west and this is a long drive a little ways back for $250+ each, and feel lucky to have unloaded them at their peak. just the announcement of reissues is enough to kill the value a bit.
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby jacobwilliam on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Interesting, I always presumed an original pressing would retain more value then a reissue. Makes sense that a reissue would kill the value a bit though.
jacobwilliam
second class
second class

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Modetht Mouth thuckth.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby travis k on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:08 pm

I was first bombarded by this garbage when I returned to my home town after college and every male acquaintance seemed to have a girlfriend with a romulan haircut who played this shit endlessly.
The girls double dutch vocal delivery was particulary bothersome. Bland, lukewarm, milquetoast band from day one. I thought it would've been gone by now. But I remain an optimist. Crap of the highest order.
travis k
the white ho
the white ho

Postby n.c. on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:16 pm

i used to not like them. then for a while they were a guilty pleasure. now i like them a lot. i just picked up "....long drive..." and "lonesome crowded west" on LP and have been listening to them a lot. i also love this song and video.

https://youtu.be/penvn9VL32Y

if this makes me less cool, so be it.
numberthirty wrote:No one is giving Frankenstein's Monster a cup of booze just because they have shifted from a CD burner to an interface and a computer.
n.c.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby garthplinko on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:41 pm

CRAP then
CRAP still

It's not often that crap magically transmutes into gold with age. 'bout the best you can hope for is fertilizer or compost.
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby BobbyPeru on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 am

n.c. wrote:i used to not like them. then for a while they were a guilty pleasure. now i like them a lot. i just picked up "....long drive..." and "lonesome crowded west" on LP and have been listening to them a lot. i also love this song and video.

I don't think so.. those are both really good records. The Moon and Antarctica isn't bad either. I feel like alot of people who hate this band probably haven't heard much other than Float On. Their later stuff is pretty forgettable though.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby kaleb on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:19 am

BobbyPeru wrote:
n.c. wrote:i used to not like them. then for a while they were a guilty pleasure. now i like them a lot. i just picked up "....long drive..." and "lonesome crowded west" on LP and have been listening to them a lot. i also love this song and video.

I don't think so.. those are both really good records. The Moon and Antarctica isn't bad either. I feel like alot of people who hate this band probably haven't heard much other than Float On. Their later stuff is pretty forgettable though.
Another possibility is that they had the misfortune to see Modest Mouse in their "classic" era, 96-99. I absolutely and without qualification LOVE the recordings they made in that period, but I saw them twice in 1998 and both were among the worst shows I've ever seen. Both were in Minneapolis, one was a college show where they just sabotaged themselves by following every good song with unbearably long meandering muttering or tuning. The other was at 400 Bar and after ten minutes of uninspired playing, Isaac just started hitting one chord and yelling "show's over! go home!" for seriously 15 minutes while Jeremiah and Eric tried to improvise something out of his crap. Most of the crowd refused to leave though, and they started playing songs again, probably five or so before they packed it in for good.

I know they had good shows in that stretch too, I've heard several bootlegs, but that would turn many people off a band forever. I saw them when I lived in Japan for the M&A tour, and they played a great show to a packed small club, and talked to Isaac briefly after the show. When I mentioned that I'd seen them earlier and it was pretty shitty, he just said "yeah, we don't remember a lot from those years."
kaleb
boris spassky
boris spassky

Postby Ike on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 am

Kaleb, did you grow up in the Cities?

About MM, I still enjoy the first two albums/all the early singles a lot.

We heard a new song on the college station the other day and turned it off. Absolutely boring in every way. Bums me out.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby kaleb on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Ike wrote:Kaleb, did you grow up in the Cities?

I grew up just outside of Madison, WI, and went to college in Sioux Falls, SD. A few college friends and I would drive the 4 hours to the Cities just about every chance we had to see a band we liked. Sioux Falls was pretty much a desert for shows, though I was lucky enough to see one of Fugazi's only two SD shows, on opposite sides of the state for the Red Medicine tour.
kaleb
boris spassky
boris spassky

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap