umm
i dislike their new album very much,
but i did like their old stuff.
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

very modest mouse

Postby Uecker on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:02 pm

completely uninspired and flat musically... i have yet to hear an album of theirs that doesn't bore me. unimpresive "frat boy/hippie girl" rock... the guy is a unique song-writer, and that's about it as far as i can see.
crap!
Uecker
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:51 pm

All-Night Diner
Convenient Parking
Dark Center of the Universe
Different Cities
Dirty Fingernails
Dramamine
Life Like Weeds
Paper Thin Walls
Shit Luck

i really like all those songs. i don't think anyone could, in good faith, say that all or even most of those sound anything like BTS or frat rock. definitely a couple sound sorta like BTS, but still, i can't see how you could say isaac sounds like doug. saying the guy in creed sounds like the guy in those five other bands that all sound like him, sure. but if you can't immediately tell the difference between isaac's voice and doug's voice, within about two words, then you might wanna trade in your ears for some french fries or a pack of gum.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Andrew L. on Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:18 pm

Convenient Parking

Fuck'n eh. Probably my favourite MM song and it's just the same damn thing over and over. Brilliant.

"We dig repetition
This is the three Rs
The three Rs"

Also, Custom Concern destroys me. And if Frat Boys (my own most cited strawmen after hippies) are soon to be raising toasts and playing Xbox to their back catalogue, I just don't want to know about it.

Brock's great at expressing the bitter-sweet/depression-euphoria binary. Better than most.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby xproudfoot on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:22 pm

The margin here is CRAP

So let me get this right, the kidn of people who frequent electrical audio bulletin boards are the kind of people that would call modest mouse crap, because other people who might like their music like modest mouse instead, and call zz top and slayer not crap? I'm assuming because those bands have no claim on their hipster cred and thus they have no jealousy of zz top. In a way your liking zz top is as if you are ironically amusing yourself by saying you like it, the way you adore the music a retarded person would make, because it doesn't threaten your fragile ego.

Isaac brock writes better music than me, and I'm assuming better than about 98% of the people on this message board. And he is more popular than 99.9% of people on this message board.

let's get over it.

(hehe... by the way, hello everyone...hope I've made a bunch of good lifelong friends now)
xproudfoot
troll
troll

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:57 pm

xproudfoot wrote:The margin here is CRAP

So let me get this right, the kidn of people who frequent electrical audio bulletin boards are the kind of people that would call modest mouse crap, because other people who might like their music like modest mouse instead, and call zz top and slayer not crap? I'm assuming because those bands have no claim on their hipster cred and thus they have no jealousy of zz top. In a way your liking zz top is as if you are ironically amusing yourself by saying you like it, the way you adore the music a retarded person would make, because it doesn't threaten your fragile ego.

Isaac brock writes better music than me, and I'm assuming better than about 98% of the people on this message board. And he is more popular than 99.9% of people on this message board.

let's get over it.

(hehe... by the way, hello everyone...hope I've made a bunch of good lifelong friends now)

i can't speak for anyone else here, nor myself for that matter, but i will hazard a guess that there are some folks out there somewhere who have opinions based on actual music and what it makes them think, or how it makes them feel, the music, not the ego crap or the cred crap. some folks love britney spears, and some folks love leonard nimoy singing about bilbo baggins, and some folks love ZZ top, and some folks love your momma all night long. Sure!

there's bound to be some folks here and there who cast votes based on what they think other people might think of them. honestly, anybody who even invests any energy into talking about or pondering the concept of "cred", you're probably fucked. by that i mean, you're certainly just rebelling against cred-whores because that's such a cool thing to do. right? irony detector warming up...

also, please don't use the word "retarded" like that. i'm retarded, and i find it measurelessly offensive.

oh, as far as the "the kidn of people who frequent electrical audio bulletin boards" statement, bear in mind that at some point, *all* generalizations *always* fail. please detect irony now.

since you tried to pigeonhole me (i consider myself a part of that subset of humans, the 'frequent this board' category), you'd maybe like to know that i voted not crap here, not crap for slayer, and for ZZ top, i didn't vote, because i feel like i don't know enough of their catalog to have a valid opinion of them. certainly not a passionate opinion anyhow.

so SUCK IT!

:lol:

cheers, opinionated and outspoken new person. assuming you actually ARE a person... hrm...
Last edited by toomanyhelicopters on Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:08 am

I love modest mouse
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby garble on Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:03 pm

You know, they played here in Denver a couple days ago, and about a block away from where Sonic Youth was playing on the same day. It was my first time seeing SY, and they were pretty good... but everyone who walked by to join the street-swarm for MM was like "whoa, sonic youth is playing today..." I'm not sure what my point is, but it was funny in an odd way.

postscript: CRAP
garble
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Severance Package on Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:46 am

alexdamon wrote:C-R-A-P!!!

goddamn college rock.

I'm in complete agreement with ya.

They seem to be everywhere now. I can't explain why.
Severance Package
ward boss
ward boss

Postby Andrew L. on Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:08 am

This is becoming the EA equivalent of the Phish thread that erupted like a whitehead over on the Tortoise forum a while back (to lazy to dig up link - it's as dull a forum as you'd expect it to be).

Because the new album's crap, I won't go on defending them or my appreciation for much of their back catalogue, but as to how
They seem to be everywhere now [and] I can't explain why.
, well the Modest fRat boys really broke big following this pimpin, whorin, tell-all, topless interview conducted for MTV which you can access at this link( commencing at the "Now, to watch the interview in Real. . ." paragraph:

http://app2.sonymusic.com/wwwroot/modes ... 71,00.html

Isaac Brock has a cocaine hairlip throughout the entire thing, pumping hands and enthusing on the influence of the "recently discovered" Dave Mathews Band.
Andrew L.

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:16 pm

Severance Package wrote:

goddamn college rock.

I feel like you dislike them soley based on their image. Maybe if you passed some sort of judgement on their music I could take your opinion more seriously.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby tallchris on Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:42 pm

From 96-01, definitely not crap. I think the first three full lengths and various singles and ep's are some of the best music to come out of the post-grunge northwest.

But that new album, oh my gawd! Crap on a crap log. I thought "Float On" was an old U2 song the first time it came on the radio. "Dancehall" is possibly the most excrutiating song of the year.

Can a band be considered college rock when 2/3 of the band didn't even finish high school?
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby djanes1 on Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:42 pm

Last night I had a dream that I liked Modest Mouse and was even humming along to one of their songs. Not an actual Modest Mouse song, since I have none of them committed to memory, but a song my mind made up and slapped a 'Modest Mouse' tag to. I am now classifying this dream as a nightmare.
djanes1
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby kerble on Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:00 pm

toomanyhelicopters wrote:
faiz wrote:I think a WF of 6.7 is in call for.

oh faiz, you've ended your sentence with a preposition. :cry:

You're dead, Scott. Dead to me.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby flyinghouses on Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:52 pm

HA!
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Severance Package on Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:26 pm

Andrew Weatherhead wrote:
Severance Package wrote:

goddamn college rock.

I feel like you dislike them soley based on their image. Maybe if you passed some sort of judgement on their music I could take your opinion more seriously.

OK. I'll try to explain what I was thinking at the time.

I personally felt the music they recorded for K and Up was sort of interesting and weird pop music. Although I was never a fan, I thought they kind of had a respectable edge to them that I could appreciate.

I don't see what everybody likes in their last few albums, though. It all of a sudden sounds "bigger" and like they think of it as a joke or something. Like that song "Ocean Breathes Salty," it sounds like Beck-ish rock, which is something that doesn't really interest me. The earlier stuff seemed to have more passion whereas the new stuff seems more image-conscious. Just my opinion.
Severance Package
ward boss
ward boss

Postby mooliachi on Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:37 pm

I used to like to listen to them while I was high. And we're talking 'forget to eat for two days' high....

Now, I see them for what they are, and I cannot listen to them, the whole shtick is so old..."i'm sad, I'm witty, I'm playing the same notes over and over and over .......

And, AND, a friend of mine invited me to see them a few months ago, and Isaac was so drunk, you could not understand a fuckin thing he was attempting to say between songs, AND, AND these four or five drunken frat boys were arm in arm swinging back and forth, singing so loud I could not hear,, and, AND, bumping into this girl in a wheelchair every couple minutes. This doubley retardeded display completeley soured any love I had for the band and their followers.....

CRAP
mooliachi
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby capnreverb on Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:54 pm

xproudfoot wrote:The margin here is CRAP

let's get over it.

um, i've heard the modest mouse, and, they felch billy goats when even put in the same sentence as the mighty ZZ TOP.

Quite simply, ZZ TOP'S FIRST is the motherfucking bomb. no hipster cred needed. no irony. just a fact. like taxes and sunshine and rain.

ALL HAIL ZZ TOP'S FIRST
capnreverb
bum runner
bum runner

Postby areopagite on Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:22 am

with apologies for their latest commercial release, i'll say "not crap." it took me several periods of rejection to appreciate this band, so i understand its detractors. the good shit is undeniably good and the not-so-good is at least interesting.
areopagite
tunnel
tunnel

Postby ironyengine on Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:12 am

Have you guys listened to the drumming on This Is A Long Album Title For A Band With No Cred Yet? Not crap, at all.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap