Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

crap/not crap

crap
51%
Not Crap
49%

Total votes : 164

Postby Ally In Exile on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:11 am

this "modest" mouse fella exudes such shitty vibes (both in his music and in interviews) that i find it intolerable to hear him sing or speak for more than a few seconds. his personality is about as likable as that of phil anselmo or courtney love --- and his music is no less dreadful.

quite simply, mr. lisp comes off like a super-bitchy ex-coke head who's in love with all his problems and all too eager to tell you about 'em at great length. bitterness is a terrible thing to have in spades when your music is monochromatic horeshit. add to the equation his awful singing voice and you have yourself quite an unpleasant concotion.

i like loads of patently white music, but modest mouse's boorish strand of northwest indie rock makes my skin crawl. it's enough to kill any desire i might have had to move to washington.

i can't even fathom how bad his recent, more "commercial" work must be.

CRAP. no waffles.
Ally In Exile
linus pauling
linus pauling

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:59 am

I saw them open for Built to Spill back in the mid-90s, and sweet lord, were they horrible. One of their songs even stole the riff from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which is already among the worst, most cloying songs ever written.

Since then, I've heard a handful of their records, and nothing has led me to revise my opinion of them. They are the streaks of crap that somebody left sticking to the basin of a public toilet.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby MantaRay on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:00 am

i dig their older stuff

not crap
MantaRay
cecil bill
cecil bill

Postby nicholas on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:57 am

Wood Goblin wrote:One of their songs even stole the riff from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which is already among the worst, most cloying songs ever written.

Since when does "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" have a riff?
I play in Suzanne The Plan and run Endless Records.
nicholas
padre
padre

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:54 am

nicholas wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:One of their songs even stole the riff from "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," which is already among the worst, most cloying songs ever written.

Since when does "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" have a riff?

Make that "chord progression."
Wood Goblin

Postby Into the Void on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:22 am

Hold on...so you really believe Bob Dylan's "Knockin On Heaven's Door" is "one of the worst songs ever written?"
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby ivan on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 am

i read an interview with that brock person somewhere in which he was getting snotty about belle and sebastian, saying they were ok but all the songs sound the same, which i found funny because thats what his music sounds like to me
ivan
moms mabley
moms mabley

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:59 am

wes9 wrote:Hold on...so you really believe Bob Dylan's "Knockin On Heaven's Door" is "one of the worst songs ever written?"

I absolutely cannot stand that song, and I hate the covers by Eric Crapton and Guns n' Roses even more. I hate the chord progression, I hate the lyrics, and I hate that stupid "Kna-kna-knockin'" part. :evil:
Wood Goblin

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:27 am

Modest Mouse is crap. My drummer (whose taste I highly respect) loves them. I don't get them at all. His voice is dumb. I just find that stuff to be unlistenable...even the old stuff isn't that fun or cool. Big CRAP.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:37 am

Bobcat Goldwaithe = crap

Modest Mouse = not crap enough for an album or too to override the crap that the rest of them get.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby NerblyBear on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:07 pm

It's not just the new stuff that's a snoozefest. Their older music sucks as well.

I picked up LCW and immediately sold it again because none of the riffs went anywhere. Just boring, bland music, along the lines of the Pixies.

Crappucino.
Gay People Rock
NerblyBear
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Darryl_P on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:49 pm

I like Modest Mouse. I also like fruit salads, twee pop music and children's breakfasts cereals.
I really like cocopops. Am I wrong to like cocopops? I am? Oh.

Well, since liking cocopops apparently takes away my worth as a human being...I'll have to switch to Nestle cereals instead?
Can somebody recommend me a new breakfast cereal?

(No, really, I can't get all the cocopops onto my spoon so they dry onto my bowl. Makes it a bitch to clean. I want a cereal that is larger than a cocopop and easier to scoop into a spoon)
Darryl_P
alderman
alderman

Postby rocker654 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:53 pm

Darryl_P wrote:I like Modest Mouse. I also like fruit salads, twee pop music and children's breakfasts cereals.
I really like cocopops. Am I wrong to like cocopops? I am? Oh.

Well, since liking cocopops apparently takes away my worth as a human being...I'll have to switch to Nestle cereals instead?
Can somebody recommend me a new breakfast cereal?

(No, really, I can't get all the cocopops onto my spoon so they dry onto my bowl. Makes it a bitch to clean. I want a cereal that is larger than a cocopop and easier to scoop into a spoon)

This isn't the best recommendation, but I have heard a few songs by this band that were not crap.

Try Fruit Brute.

blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Re: Band:Modest mouse

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Fucking forcing my way through 'Good News...' right now. I will probably listen to it again sometime and maybe change my mind (don't think so, though) but upon first listening this album, she is a complete turd. However, I dig 'Moon over...' and "This Is a Long Drive..." so much I'm still voting not crap. Brock singing and songwriting is very much hit or miss - when he pulls off that intelligent lyrics/interesting melody/somewhat gentle way of singing thing of his, it can be and is really great and memorable. When he fails at it, entire thing instantly nosedives to reach depths rarely available to any forms of expression... oh God make it stop, I can't take it anymore. Fuck you, 'Good News...'. Fuck you.

edit:
I dig 'Moon over...'
. For years I remained convinced that this albums is called 'Moon OVER Antarctica'. I think it would be a better title than 'Moon and Antarctica'. Oh, and 'Good news...' still sucks all sorts of balls.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Andrew. on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm

First 3 albums had some great stuff on them. Everything else I've heard is awful. Not middling or mediocre; absolutely godawful.

I admit to being really into those early albums at the time, but I haven't listened to them in years and probably never will again. This band is a write-off.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby enframed on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Crap.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Antero on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:53 pm

I think this is a pretty damn good band. Lonesome Crowded West is a fantastic album. Moon and Antarctica and This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About are as well, if somewhat less so.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby tallchris on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 am

Antero wrote:I think this is a pretty damn good band. Lonesome Crowded West is a fantastic album. Moon and Antarctica and This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About are as well, if somewhat less so.

+1. All the singles on Building Nothing out of Something are also pretty great.

I don't really like anything they've done since TM&A, but I'd still give them an overall NC.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby enframed on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 am

I was subjected to MM by some friends last night as we drove home from dinner. Luckily the conversation struck up again after four or five songs and I didn't have to endure any more.

"Float On" was an OK song, but I heard my fill of this stuff in the record store I worked in back in 2002, or whenever that song gained popularity.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:00 am

Sounds like consensus: first 3 albums great, but that's it.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap