Composer: Bela Bartok

Postby evermuse on Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:43 pm

Bela Bartok
Do I even need to ask?
evermuse
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby geiginni on Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:03 pm

You needed not have asked, but while it's there.....

SO VERY MUCH NOT CRAP. To my senses Bartok is the perfect amalgam of derivative and original music. What he did with the vast knowlege and cataloging of traditional Hungarian, Rumanian, Macedonian, and Gypsie musics and his grasp of modern composition and arranging produced some of the finest, and more importantly, visceral music of the 20th century. I can't think of any contemporaries that composed such beautiful, violent, and spiritually moving music in the modern idiom. He produced some of his finest while in his darkest hours. His passion for his cultural heritage can be felt in everything he did.

...and I'm a real sucker for traditional Hungarian/Gypsie type musics.

However, I've read that Stravinsky disliked his music. In fact, upon hearing of Bartok's death in 1945, Stravinsky remarked "I never liked his music anyway". So one CRAP from Stravinsky and one NOT CRAP from me...
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Dylan on Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:07 pm

It's weird that Stravinsky didn't like Bartok's music because I see distinct similarities between The Rite Of Spring and some of the Bartok quartets. Then again, Stravinsky liked Tchaikovsky.

Oh, and NOT CRAP. Mikrokosmos are studies for kids, but really beautiful too, somehow.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby geiginni on Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:36 pm

Rite of Spring was written in 1912

I believe Bartok's 1st quartet was composed in 1908-09 and is the only one to precede 'Rite'. His second quartet was composed in 1918 and performed in 1919.

It is well documented that Bartok was an aficianado of Stravinsky's works and had a deep admiration of his abilities. It is not unlikely that Bartok might have been influenced to some degree upon hearing 'Rite'.

Though both composers were highly opinionated, and dare I say arrogent; I tend to percieve Stravinsky as more inclined to being an asshole toward or about people. Not just becuase he disliked Bartok's music and thought his ethnomusicalogical research to be a "waste of ability".

The fact that he liked Tchaikovsky so much, but at the same time disliked the music of his mentor Rimsky-Korsakov (dismissing it as "trite")[personally I don't see much difference in the style and substance of the two]; and that he so readily dealt out harsh criticism of his contemporaries only leaves me to chuckle at what a curmudgeon the guy was - despite his creative output.
geiginni

Postby Dylan on Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:04 pm

geiginni wrote:Rite of Spring was written in 1912

I believe Bartok's 1st quartet was composed in 1908-09 and is the only one to precede 'Rite'. His second quartet was composed in 1918 and performed in 1919.

It is well documented that Bartok was an aficianado of Stravinsky's works and had a deep admiration of his abilities. It is not unlikely that Bartok might have been influenced to some degree upon hearing 'Rite'.

Just to needlessly clarify - I don't think either were "influenced" by one another. I see an 'after the fact' similarity between the two.
Dylan

Postby evermuse on Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:27 am

I remember reading somewhere sometime that he was influenced by Stravinsky's work. I'm hardly an expert on the subject. So perhaps, when I'm not so tired, this will be a google worthy issue.
evermuse
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby capnreverb on Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:55 am

His String Quartets are some of the most powerfull written. Along with the Late Beethoven's, they are the litmus test.
capnreverb
bum runner
bum runner

Postby geiginni on Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:15 pm

I just got hold of a copy of "Duke Bluebeard's Castle" this week.

I'm not normally a great fan of opera, but this is haunting. The orchestration is quite rich, along the lines of "The Wooden Prince", but not as aggressive and violent as "Mandarin". It is quite etherial.

Sung in Hungarian, BTW...the 1965 Decca

Highly RECOMMENDED!!!
geiginni

Postby Andrew L. on Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:32 am

capnreverb wrote:His String Quartets are some of the most powerfull written. Along with the Late Beethoven's, they are the litmus test.

I started to listen Bartok b/c the name kept coming up in interviews with John Fahey that I was hunting down in high school. Thing is, I've never found satisfactory recordings. I'm super keen on hearing anyone's pics, especially for the quartets.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Bela Bartok

Postby Stef on Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:12 pm

Most certainly not crap. Right up there with Schoenberg and Satie. :)
Stef
fan
fan

Re: Composer: Bela Bartok

Postby Christopher on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 pm

Some great, super-rare video footage of Béla Bartók here. The clip is short, but it shows him at the piano, then later smiling and talking with the interviewer.

Whoever posted the clip translated the Hungarian:
[when asked how he was learning English]
"It's quite hard to practise alone. Now we talk in hungarian language between each other." Goddamn, this makes me sad.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:06 pm

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Since I was a teenager, I've had the idea of this piece done on electric guitar. I don't think it's impossible.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Christopher on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Going to a performance of the String Quartet No. 2 on Monday and cannot remember the last time I've been this excited for a show. I only wish it was the complete Nos. 1-6.

For anyone interested, there is an amazing two volume / 13 LP collection put out by the Hungaroton label in the early '80s, all featuring Bartók himself at the piano. Some of the recordings date back to 1912(!) and, while the sound quality varies as much as you'd imagine some 100+ year-old recordings would (and there are even moments where I enjoy the extraneous, hissing rhythm that time imposes on a turning wax cylinder), every bit of it is a real treat to hear.

Died of leukemia at 64. "Fuck cancer," indeed. BB = NC.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Isabelle Gall on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Christopher wrote:Going to a performance of the String Quartet No. 2 on Monday and cannot remember the last time I've been this excited for a show.

Lucky you. The final movement of String Quartet No. 2 is my all-time fave Bartok.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Anonymous37 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:58 pm

I've only heard his piano concertos (making a deep dive into classical music remains one of those things I know I really should do but haven't managed to do yet), but I really liked them.
Anonymous37
mayor
mayor

Postby matt_stevens on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:31 pm

I started having violin lessons at the end of last year after picking an instrument up cheap in a second hand shop. I spent a day listening to Quartets 1-6 at work a few weeks ago, then in my lesson that week my teacher decided to break out a collection of 44 Bartok Violin Duets. They start off really easy, but have plenty of odd tonality in them and are really interesting to play. Not Crap!
matt_stevens
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby travis k on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 am

An old Polish lady on my block was throwing away a bunch of records that I snatched up.
One of them is his Six String Quartets ( 3 records)
Major score
travis k
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Janeway on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

aw man, should i try to snatch up an old polish lady on my block ? haha shake some records out of her

“hey lady, where’s my quartets?”

:D
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby jimmy spako on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 am

matt_stevens wrote:I started having violin lessons at the end of last year after picking an instrument up cheap in a second hand shop. I spent a day listening to Quartets 1-6 at work a few weeks ago, then in my lesson that week my teacher decided to break out a collection of 44 Bartok Violin Duets. They start off really easy, but have plenty of odd tonality in them and are really interesting to play. Not Crap!

Damn, decidedly not crap. Salut! and much fun with your new instrument.

travis k wrote:An old Polish lady on my block was throwing away a bunch of records that I snatched up.
One of them is his Six String Quartets ( 3 records)
Major score

Also thoroughly not crap, those are the best of days.

I used to have the string quartets dubbed on tape but can't find them around here. Just picked up a used CD of the complete quartets from the Julliard Quartet for cheap. It is a good time to buy 20th century classical music on CD too. Thanks for the reminder, thread.

NOT CRAP!
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby travis k on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 am

Mine is the Julliard one , too!
travis k
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Return to Crap / Not Crap