Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

NOFX

Crap.
73%
Not Crap.
27%

Total votes : 86

Postby BClark on Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:19 pm

awwww cmon guys, theyre really not all that bad, at all. great riffing. great bass. and the opening of that song "stickin in my eye" is a great opening, the kind of thing soundgarden wished they could do. and "the decline," that song is one of a kind.

kenoki wrote:
p.s. i'm kinda suprised no one else has a thing for liza and louise or bob or the brews or.... come on now, they weren't so crap.

I have a thing for liza and louise, and bob as well. great album, that one.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby eliya on Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I voted in this poll long time ago and I voted not crap.

I dislike most of their records except for "S&M Airlines", "The War on Errorism" some of "Pump up the Valuum" and obviously "The Decline".

The rest if crap, except for a good song here and there. The above album doesn't have the pop-punk melodies and harmonies of NoFX. These records actually rock and the lyrics of the songs are better than most of their other records, except for S&M airlines, the lyrics are kinda dumb, but I don't care for the lyrics as long as the music is good.
S&M Airlines is pretty close to being a hardcore record.
I think that they're probably the biggest DIY band right now. They book their shows themselves, they have their own label, some kind of their own studio. In the records I mentioned above, they sing against bush's government and the injustice in America(and other places). They write songs against the big record companies, and they have a firm opinion regarding this issue. They have the same opinions as Steve Albini regarding many things. The only difference that they show it in a stupid way.

well, these are the good things, the bad things are that they're pretty much drug addicts and alcoholics. They don't picture themselves that way and they make enough money to finance their addictions, so you can't "see" it on them, I mean, they don't look like junkies. These addictions are making them the opposite of DC's straight edge punk, which is for me the best form of Hardcore Punk, which is also making them "less punk" in that manner.

During september they played 3 shows in Israel, I decided to go to one of these shows, since I like some of their records and I believe that when a show from abroad is coming to Israel, I should check them out. They will surely be better and more professional than the Israeli bands. This show sucked, it was 2 hours long with maybe 40 minutes of music in it, the rest of the show was just seeing them getting drunk and talking nonsense, the music itself was just a bunch of their poppy songs. This gig really made me feel like they're utter crap.

Usually I don't vote crap for bands who have, say, 1 good record and 5 crappy records; I don't have to listen to the crappy records, just the good one. However, with NoFX, I feel bad and "guilty" when listening to their good records because of their bad records. and because they're jackasses.

Not Crap WF 1000.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:39 am

What makes this band appealing to anyone I´ll never find out. I hate everything about their music, I´m not taking all the extraneous stuff into consideration.
Bernardo

Postby DazeyDiver on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:12 pm

NOTHX
Ty Webb wrote:Hieronymous Bosch buttfuck

majorbarger.bandcamp.com

Es ist alles lächerlich, wenn man an den Tod denkt
DazeyDiver
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby Sebastian J. on Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:33 pm

CRAPFX
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Rotten Tanx on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:42 pm

I like their song "Kill All The White Man".

Other than that I was surprised, on hearing an album, at how bland they are.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby CJMcG on Sun May 11, 2008 3:31 pm

They get a NOT CRAP from me for "The Decline".
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby night_tools on Sun May 11, 2008 6:08 pm

A Not Crap from me. I like a couple of their albums (Punk in Drublic, Pump Up The Valuum), saw them live once and they were pretty good, and I like the Fat Wreck ethic. There's a lot more offensive bands out there in the 'punk' canon. NOFX seem like good clean wholesome fun by comparison
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools

Postby CJMcG on Mon May 12, 2008 12:50 am

CJMcG

Re: Band: NOFX

Postby crustandcrumb on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:15 am

I used, like a few of you, to dig them back in middle school, and still think Punk In Drublic, I Heard They Suck Live and Heavy Petting Zoo are good for the genre. Not Crap w/ an amount of waffles.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Re:

Postby Antero on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 am

CJMcG wrote:They get a NOT CRAP from me for "The Decline".

I would have said that in 10th grade.

Edit: I don't actually mean that to sound as bitchy as it obviously is.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby garble on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:09 am

Steve V. wrote:I just heard the new record.

Fucking goddamn awful.

You listened to the song about Tegan & Sara? You didn't think that shit was funny?

They're a crappy punk rock band that mostly sings about drugs. This new song about being an annoying douche to an indie rock lesbian is excellent.
garble
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby hellholiday on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 am

I hate the vocal melodies and the Crate amp sound to their guitars.

Crap
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Wood Goblin on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:33 am

garble wrote:You listened to the song about Tegan & Sara? You didn't think that shit was funny?

They're a crappy punk rock band that mostly sings about drugs. This new song about being an annoying douche to an indie rock lesbian is excellent.

That song is a piece of shit.

NOFX sucked in the 90s and have apparently continued flying the suck flag well into the 2000s.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Re:

Postby Lonesome Bulldog on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:47 am

EDIT: Pop Punk bands like NOFX are throat-fuckingly awful. There are more grievous offenders than them, by far. But still, throat-fuckingly awful.
Last edited by Lonesome Bulldog on Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonesome Bulldog
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Wood Goblin on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 am

One more thing: according to wikipedia, Fat Mike is 42 years old.

He's 42 years old, and he's singing about creeping out the singer from some semi-obscure indie folk band by asking her where he could buy some blow.
Wood Goblin

Postby Robert G on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm with Steve V. on this - NC. Very, very high WF for everything that came out after The Decline and for the reasons everyone else posted..
Robert G

Postby garble on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Hell yeah being 42 makes it better! I agree with a lot of the reasons above. NOFX is a shitty band, sure their guitars sound more like bubblegum pop than the usual aluminum beard flavor; yeah, they have made the same album of basically crappy shit over and over and over; yes almost all their songs (esp. pollitical) are dumb.

But they have sucked ass, dicked around constantly, made the dick move as the 42 year old backstage man, took way too many pills, and are not ashamed! They're fucking successful at it! The fact that they do this shit for money and "make it" is NOT CRAP.
garble
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Re: Re:

Postby Arson Smith on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:44 pm

Lonesome Bulldog wrote:EDIT: Pop Punk bands like NOFX are throat-fuckingly awful. There are more grievous offenders than them, by far. But still, throat-fuckingly awful.

(What's So Awful 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Throat-Fucking?
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Re:

Postby mt on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:43 am

Steve V. wrote:
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:EDIT: Pop Punk bands like NOFX are throat-fuckingly awful. There are more grievous offenders than them, by far. But still, throat-fuckingly awful.

All that pop-punk shit was like Fisher Price for me. I'll value it for what it was - my springboard towards better and greater musical things.

Still love it. Playing it is fun. Hearing is a nice, I suppose. Loosens me up a bit.

Having not listened to NOFX during my first go-round, I find it difficult to care now.

If I had to choose between the Descendents and NOFX, I would go Descendents every time.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap