crap or not crap

crap
73%
not crap
27%

Total votes : 154

Re: band:U2

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 pm

U2 are not crap. Yes, they've released some shit and haven't put out a good record since 1996, but the three really good albums they have are really good. The Edge can play guitar, he just has no interest in playing guitar in a standard way, so he goes for delay pedals (although not as often as people make out) and a huge array of effects. Because of this - anyone who says the Edge can't play guitar is also saying Kevin Shields and Takashi Mizutani (yeah I went there) can't play either.

Bono is a dick, but these days I think he plays up to people's negative opinions of him a lot, just because his haters think U2 have no sense of humour and are totally pretentious or whatever. Adam Clayton has wrote some tasty bass lines and is tasteful and fine. The real weak point of the band is Clayton who really isn't much of a drummer but gets the job done.

Here are five album tracks by U2 that are absolutely fantastic (I know, haters are gonna hate as they say):

Wire

Zoo Station

Do You Feel Loved

Surrender

Seconds

Bonus feature (ignore dumb Joshua Tree era-snippet at the start there and just LISTEN to that guitar):

Bullet the Blue Sky
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 am

Haven't listened to this song in years, like over a decade, and I almost forgotten how much I like it.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:31 am

I'll vote crap with waffles for some of the stuff on Joshua Tree and before. There are maybe 5 to 10 songs of theirs I like, but everything from Achtung Baby onward is horseshit.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 am

I've been listening to youtube songs from that Paris 1987 show all day long, guitar sounds immense and Bono is at his best (it's a good thing).
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:16 pm

I was shocked that Bono didn't jump on the eulogy train for Phil Everly the other day.
Incandenza
"wild bill" hickok
"wild bill" hickok

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 am

Incandenza wrote:I was shocked that Bono didn't jump on the eulogy train for Phil Everly the other day.

Give him time.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Andy on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Bono's Illuminated-Steering-Wheel-Hanging-From-The-Ceiling microphone is the most pretentious thing I've ever seen. Ever.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Gramsci on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm

I loath this band.

However, even the worst bands can have one amazing album, and Achtung Baby is brilliant.

I hate U2.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Andy wrote:Image

Bono's Illuminated-Steering-Wheel-Hanging-From-The-Ceiling microphone is the most pretentious thing I've ever seen. Ever.
Dude, you could Photoshop anybody else into that photo and it would look awesome as shit.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Ptommydski on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 pm

If you're a U2 fan (or not, as in my case) it might be worth listening to the Earwolf podcast Are You Talking U2 To Me?, which sees Comedy Bang Bang host and former Mr Show writer/cast member Scott Aukerman ostensibly talking about U2 with Parks & Recreation actor Adam Scott. Admittedly only about 10% of each podcast is about U2 but if I'm enjoying it as somebody who actively dislikes the band, it might well tickle someone who is indifferent or a legitimate fan too.
Ptommydski

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am

I couldn't bring myself to vote crap until now. Somehow Apple missed hacking into my phone when they got everyone else's, but it's on my ipod now unwillingly. They got our desktop, the bastards.THEY ARE INSIDE MY COMPUTER! Any goodwill I once had toward this band is gone, despite some god songs in the '80s.

U2 is the NSA of mom rock. CRAP.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby M.H on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:39 pm

How a rock band can be so limp and unexciting while being so acclaimed for creating such bland, gimmicky washes of shallow atmosphere is a little beyond me. I guess it stops the music from becoming overtly and unbearably theatrical and gives Bono the space to soar. The man has bags of talent and charisma, but even he barely carries this weak, tepid, formulaic shit.

Like R.E.M or Springsteen, if they weren't striking such critically acceptable poses w/ their politics they'd get called out as a second rate act much more regularly. Total 'nice guys, bad music' syndrome.

Crap, high waffles for Bono's excellent singing.
M.H
javier pérez de cuéllar
javier pérez de cuéllar

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:27 pm

crrraaaaaaaaaappppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby MattMaxVan on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:18 pm

I voted Not crap. I have many waffles. First, as people, they kinda suck. Second, most of their recorded output sucks.
However, they are not crap because my wife loves them. I mean she probably loves them more than me. I buy her U2 LPs, concert Tickets, etc, and I get the sex, you see? Therefore- because the sex is not crap, the thing that helps me get the sex is not crap, which would mean that U2 are not crap. My logic is unassailable.....
JAFO
MattMaxVan
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby readandburn on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Baja Bound wrote:U2 have yet to make a bad record and like Bon Jovi they are the Best at what they do and they've sold more records than you have.

You probably think that Avatar is the greatest film ever made too, after all, it's made the most money.
readandburn
saddam hussein
saddam hussein

Postby geiginni on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:55 pm

To me, U2 is one of those bands for people whose tastes never developed beyond high-school, or being an undergrad in college. They're the band for people who still like the same things as they did when they were 14-20.

Maybe kids, a career, pressing life concerns get in the way of trying new things; pushing further, wanting more, listening closer and harder than when you were a kid. Maybe music is just background filler now. Maybe it reminds you of when music functioned as a social locus for bonding with others at a time when acceptance - even on a social fringe, was important, and when feelings hit just a little harder and more immediate than they do now.

If you're roughly in my age group, then U2 is definitely one of these bands.

Living in the past and never developing new tastes beyond your 20s is most certainly CRAP.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 am

Kraka!
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby agiant on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:41 am

iCrap
blah
agiant
egyptian
egyptian

Postby circle_ruler on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:40 pm

i would save U2 if they were trapped in a burning house but not before smoke inhalation and heat had damaged Bono's vocal cords irreparably. if The Edge had to die to achieve this end then so be it. greater good and all that.
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap