73%
not crap
27%

Total votes : 154

Re: band:U2

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:39 pm

busbus wrote:
Awesome_Komodo wrote:Hilarious CRAP

I just don't get it. The band is on, the singer ain't.
I was making fun of the ridiculous early 80s video. The Edge looking like a nonce and Bono dancing like a buffoon...
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Trad on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Awesome_Komodo wrote:
busbus wrote:

I was making fun of the ridiculous early 80s video. The Edge looking like a nonce and Bono dancing like a buffoon...

Yeah, that too. You just made me visit youtube for bad U2 videos, damn you.
Trad
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby P.J. Craven on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:23 am

busbus wrote:
Awesome_Komodo wrote:
busbus wrote:

Yeah, that too. You just made me visit youtube for bad U2 videos, damn you.

This is an extremely bad video, but it's a pretty good song. I'm about as far it comes from being a U2 apologist, too. Could never get into this band.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:34 am

also note Adam Clayton's bad case of knee-dancing in the "I Will Follow" video. Larry Mullen looks like he's 8 years old in these early videos. Bono's hair is distressingly terrible in the Gloria video. Wow that is some bad hair. Holy shit.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andy on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:52 am

SecondEdition wrote:Bono's hair is distressingly terrible in the Gloria video. Wow that is some bad hair. Holy shit.

Right. It's 1980. That's what hair was like.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Re:

Postby John George Peppers on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 am

stephensolo wrote:i'm not a U2 fan, but here are some observations:

-the edge is a really good guitar player.
-they are a very tight band live.
-after many many years they've managed not to change lineups once.
-they attempt musical reinvention every few albums (some might see as too madonna, but i don't).
-because of these reinventions, they take musical risks, i.e. alienating older fans.
-being rich with famous, they could just remake the same album over and over again, but they do not.
-they go out of their way to find cool young acts to open their shows.
-relating to the above statment, they actually listen to new music. few famous older musicians seem to do this.

Also, the edge is a damn good singer.
warmowski wrote:Those shoes aren't going to gaze at themselves.

BBGS:Ava

BBGS:Inhalant Abuse
John George Peppers

Postby jimmy spako on Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:43 am

Wood Goblin wrote:However, I still feel like raising a glass to them, and here's why. They formed the band when they were teenagers in the late 1970s. The lineup on their first EP, from 1979, is exactly the same as the current lineup. They've never lost or replaced a member, and they've never taken an extended hiatus or broken up/reformed. That's one hell of a marriage.

Has any other band beaten this run?

i hate this argument, especially in praise of a band like U2.

U2 is a business, a business with dudes who wouldn't really know what to do if they didn't work for U2 Inc. so they stayed with the company, they're clever, maybe even self-aware, they know their place in the world, know they are not going to live better without U2. maybe they even love the hell out of their little enterprise, who knows.

that still doesn't change the fact that if they had any humanity they would have withdrawn from musical & public life years ago & spared us the incessantly bland ear rape & the pretense of papal relevance & the eating of the babies & whatnot.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:55 am

CRAP.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Trad on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

And the evolution continues:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/223955

Spiderman Broadway musical?
Trad
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby geiginni on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:27 pm

busbus wrote:And the evolution continues:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/223955

Spiderman Broadway musical?

John Adams wrote an opera about the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos.

Phillip Glass wrote an opera about Egyptian New Kingdom monotheist king Akhenaten.

Seems appropriate U2 would do Spiderman.
geiginni

Postby cjc166 on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:05 pm

I do not like the current U2. However, I loved them up through Zooropa, so I give them a not crap. When I currently listen to War, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and Zooropa, I still like it. So, dock me 50 indie-snob cool points and STFU. :mrgreen:
cjc166
pod
pod

Postby Chromodynamic on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

I like 4 of their songs, am indifferent towards a few others, and dislike the rest. Crap.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Awesome_Komodo on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:19 pm

The Sunday Bloody Sunday bit from this always kills me.
Here comes the pissball, shithead - get ready!
Awesome_Komodo

Postby Ptommydski on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am

There's a weird compulsion amongst casual music fans to assume that in order to achieve a certain level of success, there must have been a "classic period" whereby a band put in the required amount of work to deserve their status. Sometimes this is true, as with The Rolling Stones or REM. Sometimes you have bands like Metallica and U2 where there really was no such period. They were momentarily interesting at the time but with hindsight, if you actually go back and listen to the records, they were a couple of modestly captivating gimmicks mined to death over several albums, followed by a steep decline.

A while ago somebody made a bizarre request for me to listen to the whole U2 discography as a sort of challenge, which I did. Frankly I have no idea what people ever saw in this band. Even in their early years I found their music to be predictable, humdrum bullshit.

CRAP, no waffles at all.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby 30Peak on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:58 am

I understand the hatred for the posturing, the politics. There's so few bands with their stature left - or maybe ever - that it's probably easy to knock them.

My wife is an immigrant, and part of her education came from listening to early U2 songs. It's part of how she learned English, and part of how she learned about many significant historical events (Martin Luther King, the El Salvador Civil War, the politics in the US in the 80s, et al.) I've read stories of people learning English from Beatles records in the Eastern Block and elsewhere as well.

Through your filter, keep in mind they're the same 4 guys that started playing together in their early teens. They've never been sponsored for a tour or sold a song for publishing use commercially. They've also used their status for more humanitarian good than pretty much any other music group. I've got no stat on that, but no one close comes to mind. In many ways, they're a lot like Neil Young or McCartney in that respect.

They've touched a lot of people in a very positive way globally. The narrow self-aggrandizing cynicism of the United States probably doesn't mess very well with their 'we're in this together' world view. That may be why there is so much negative energy thrown their way from the indie rock world, which is sort of ironic considering they're probably the best example of a band never compromising their music or message for monetary gain.

Now, as for that Spider Man musical they're scoring...
30Peak
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby Domagoj on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Ptommydski wrote:There's a weird compulsion amongst casual music fans to assume that in order to achieve a certain level of success, there must have been a "classic period" whereby a band put in the required amount of work to deserve their status. Sometimes this is true, as with REM or U2.

I crapped your post. Sorry. I can't stand glorification of REM in the background of this. Same stadium shit as U2. Both should have perished in 1985. Early U2 albums are modest post-punk affairs but they've got some character, especially War and the Unforgettable Fire.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby rappard on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 am

30Peak wrote:My wife is an immigrant, and part of her education came from listening to early U2 songs. It's part of how she learned English, and part of how she learned about many significant historical events (Martin Luther King, the El Salvador Civil War, the politics in the US in the 80s, et al.) I've read stories of people learning English from Beatles records in the Eastern Block and elsewhere as well.

Heartwarming but in no way relevant to this discussion.

30Peak wrote:They've never [...] sold a song for publishing use commercially.

Huh?
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Richard on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:40 pm

Big Market

Imagine you’re a middle-aged, upper-middle class male.You live in a large metropolitan area. You have a good job. Your wife does Pilates. Your oldest just started Kindergarten. Yes, you’re an adult but you’re still cool! Your jeans cost $125. Sometimes you wear sneakers with a blazer!

You like the idea of being a guy who’s into live music but the last few concerts you’ve been to were a) too loud b) too crowded c) too foreign (you're lucky if you recognize one song). You’ll snap a few photos with your smartphone and tell your bros about it to get some street cred but let’s face it – you didn’t enjoy yourself. There are millions of you. And you’re willing to drop cash to have a concert make you feel cool again.

Product Market Fit

Then you learn that U2 is coming to town – U2! Earnest, melodic, Oprah-endorsed U2! $200 a ticket? No problem. You get a sitter. Your wife is excited – this is going to be great! You invite some friends from college to join you.

On the way, you listen to the “early stuff”. Joshua Tree pumps through the speakers of your Lexus SUV (no judgement - you have two kids!). The harmonies soothe. The lyrics are straightforward. You recall a simpler time before car seats and prostate exams. The nostalgia is so thick you have to wipe it from your face. You haven’t looked at your phone in nearly 11 minutes.

You arrive at the show and see yourself everywhere. Tasteful North Face and Patagonia jackets abound. The stands are awash in earth tones. No one is shoving. No one has a nose ring. These are your people.

Usability

The band begins with A SONG YOU RECOGNIZE! You’re on your feet. You’re drinking “craft” beer. Everyone is singing terribly.

And the best part – YOU CAN DANCE HERE! 80,000 people surround you and there’s not a coordinated movement in sight. Even the band sets a low bar. Bono doesn’t so much dance as lunge and bounce. The other guys seem content to nod and rock. All around you, middle-aged people are rocking and lunging and bouncing and singing badly. Is that guy wearing Tod’s loafers and a Barbour jacket? Yes he is. And he’s in the zone.

The set is basically a greatest hits playlist. The band graciously performs two new songs that no one recognizes to give you a few minutes to use the john and grab another IPA. They might as well flash an intermission sign.

Even the political statements go down smooth: “Democracy!” “Fight AIDS!” How could you possibly disagree? You’re not only dancing and reminiscing – you’re spreading freedom and reasonably-priced medicines to distant lands!

And the kicker: not one but TWO encores, the ones you know best – the ones you first heard that summer you painted houses or kissed Katie at the beach party. You’re closing your eyes now. This is sad and sweet. You put your arm around your wife. You’re wondering if Katie ever got married. A third of the crowd departs after the first encore. It’s no big deal – some of us have work in the morning! Anyway, the traffic will be better if everyone doesn't leave at once.
Via Charlie Cheever.

http://www.quora.com/Why-is-U2-so-popular/answer/Daniel-Rosenthal
condoms filled with frog bollocks and sawdust
Richard
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby iembalm on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:07 pm

I can never decide whether a third-person affectation in criticism is cowardice or just lazy. Real insight there, though - people validate their self-image through their taste in art? I had no idea.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Andy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

iembalm wrote:- people validate their self-image through their taste in art? I had no idea.

And even if they do, so what?

U2's art cannot be judged based on the people that like them any more than you can say that Insane Clown Posse suck because of Juggalos. ICP's music sucks on its own lack of merits.
Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap