Whether it's you or someone else...

CRAP
76%
NOT CRAP
24%

Total votes : 151

Postby tinycorkscrew on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:46 pm

It's CRAP.

My favorite place to play shows and to see shows was an all-ages club that didn't allow smoking.

The only person who ever had a problem with the smoking ban (to my knowledge) was Larissa Strickland.
tinycorkscrew
cats
cats

Postby Minotaur029 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:52 pm

Occasionally satisfying...but so obviously terrible for you with virtually zero benefit.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby bigc on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:04 pm

The act itself is great. Your smoke will never tell you to fuck off or leave you standing on the side of the road...it is your :10 break...your pal and your time to think. If only it were good for you.

Sadly, smoking slowly degrades your quality of life over the time you smoke until you're 40 and can barely climb a flight of stairs...all the while being so addicted to the stuff that you actually argue yourself into thinking that quitting will only save you a few years at the end of your life. The truth is that quitting will make the last 20 years of your life so much better that you will be happy you found a new pal, and new confidante who gives you time to think.

I'm a little over a year off the shit. I still miss it. I had one lapse at a strip club in Vegas (on my brother's bachelor party). I couldn't resist the goth chick with dreads and tattoos offering me Salem Lights after two days of binge drinking. I had another error that was all of one ciagrette a few weeks ago.

Totally not worth it.

CRAP.
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Richard on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:08 pm

bigc wrote: I couldn't resist the goth chick with dreads and tattoos

Well, honestly, who can really resist that?
Richard
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby MantaRay on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Richard wrote:
MantaRay wrote:horrible crap

finally beat the habit after being a slave for 17yrs

I'm on my 11th smoke free day after about 20 or so years.
Congratulations, Manta Ray

thanks man.. my fiancee and I have a son on the way, so that helped alot in motivating me. Honestly though, I thought I'd smoke until the day I died.

keep up the work.. you get to 21 days or so you'll probably be out of the woods!
tmidgett wrote:robert christgau, in a moment of supreme clarity, once called mick mars 'dork-fingered,' which about sums him up
MantaRay
cecil bill
cecil bill

Postby skatingbasser on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:57 pm

Keeeeeeerrrrrap!

I enjoy not smoking.

Sometimes I will when I drink, it sucks and it still crap then, too.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby drew patrick on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:32 pm

Smoking is stellar.

I quit over 3 years ago, and I will never smoke again for the rest of my life due to the horrible effects of smoking on the average person's health.

But I would never trade those sweet chainsmoking years for any analogous non-smoking years at any price.

Smoking fucking rules, and not smoking for at least a couple of years of your life is total garbage.
drew patrick
greek
greek

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:05 pm

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Because it's crap.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby rocker654 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 pm

It's crap.

I had it beat for 4 years. Of course, being in a smoky bar with smoking friends and not drinking led me to have one.

Now I'm hooked again, because it appears to relieve stress, and sitting on the deck with a cup of coffee first thing in the morning is a great thing.

But still, crap.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby copower on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Because it's crap.

ditto.

i never got it.
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby steve on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:38 am

I have enjoyed smoking and being around smokers just about every time I have done it. I like the smell of tobacco and tobacco smoke. I liked kissing girls who smoked. About the only bad things about smoking are the addictiveness and the killing-you-with-cancer-ness.

I quit smoking after my dad died last year, and I don't "miss" it on a day-to-day basis, but there are occasions when I want to smoke, once in a while, and I have done it. I don't think I will ever be a regular smoker again though.

So, I don't know. I certainly enjoyed smoking and smokers, so I can't really give smoking a crap. Still, the killing you thing...

Not Crap, :WF: 7
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby copower on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:04 am

oh and now i have a question,

do you really start feeling better a day after you quit?

i've heard yes and no, but i am in no position to succumb to testing the theory myself.

explain you guniea pigs....
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby same on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:22 am

I work with a girl who smokes, heavily. She takes about one, ten-minute smoke brake every hour and a half. Sometimes this coincides with her eating-brake making it about 20 minutes. All told, she spends about 30-40 minutes of her shift smoking. It makes us get out late and makes my job harder because I have to deal with all the customers while she's smoking (petty, I know, but night after night it gets to you). Tonight I told her, "Look, we're closed, we're running behind, and I want to get the fuck out of here. Can you please wait until we're done and punched out to have a smoke?" and she glared at me and was a total cunt for the rest of the night. I don't mind if you smoke, but please people, don't be a fucking ass about it. Have the humilty to not let your bad habit become other people's burden.
same

Postby steve on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:18 am

same wrote:I work with a girl who smokes, heavily. She takes about one, ten-minute smoke brake every hour and a half. Sometimes this coincides with her eating-brake making it about 20 minutes. All told, she spends about 30-40 minutes of her shift smoking. It makes us get out late and makes my job harder because I have to deal with all the customers while she's smoking (petty, I know, but night after night it gets to you). Tonight I told her, "Look, we're closed, we're running behind, and I want to get the fuck out of here. Can you please wait until we're done and punched out to have a smoke?" and she glared at me and was a total cunt for the rest of the night. I don't mind if you smoke, but please people, don't be a fucking ass about it. Have the humilty to not let your bad habit become other people's burden.

You sound like a total cunt all right.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby same on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:21 am

steve wrote:
same wrote:I work with a girl who smokes, heavily. She takes about one, ten-minute smoke brake every hour and a half. Sometimes this coincides with her eating-brake making it about 20 minutes. All told, she spends about 30-40 minutes of her shift smoking. It makes us get out late and makes my job harder because I have to deal with all the customers while she's smoking (petty, I know, but night after night it gets to you). Tonight I told her, "Look, we're closed, we're running behind, and I want to get the fuck out of here. Can you please wait until we're done and punched out to have a smoke?" and she glared at me and was a total cunt for the rest of the night. I don't mind if you smoke, but please people, don't be a fucking ass about it. Have the humilty to not let your bad habit become other people's burden.

You sound like a total cunt all right.

I guess you had to be there.
same

Postby same on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 am

I would like to note that I have smoked on and off for several years. I enjoy it. But, I've always been very mindful not to let my smoking get in the way of other's lives/business, because I've also been a non-smoker off and on for several years and know what it's like to deal with smokers as a non-smoker. Like I mentioned Steve, my gripe with this girls's behavior is petty, but it's the fucking principle. It doesn't help that she's a bad worker.
same

Postby Hairy on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:22 am

After 13 years of chainsmoking/chewing tobacco I somehow managed to quit too. That was six years ago. Aside from the occasional shame filled dream where I fuck it all up by having a cigarette, I think it's behind me now.

There are some things I miss though:

Smoking provided an excellent excuse to leave many undesirable conversations/situations at least temporarily without offending. In fact it can make you look courteous and respectful for going outside to indulge in your weakness, while simultaneously making others feel superior as they are lacking such a weakness. Everybody wins.

Smoking people get all chatty and excited, often making them (however briefly) more interesting to talk to. These people tend to randomly and spontaneously congregate, forming groups with relatively lively and not-quite-so linear conversation. I still go and stand in the cold with them when its not that cold.

Sitting at a bar with a beer and cigarette is an end in itself. At that moment you don't need anything, everything else is gravy. That was before all of this authoritarian anti-smoking bullshit, of course. Now you would need a cigarette.

Smoking keeps you thin.

Not Crap for all that stuff. But not pretty either.

Crap colored phlegm perhaps
Hairy
party clown
party clown

Postby Barbo on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:36 am

For about eight years I kept my smoking to a relative minimum--a pack every two or three days. Then I started working sound almost every night. My habit quickly expanded to one or two packs for an eight hour shift. The odd thing is I still never smoked during the day at my other job. I convinced myself that I was somehow rejuvenating my lungs by taking that day break. Now that I only work during the day and don't really go out every night, I find myself only smoking on the weekends or the few times I go out during the week to see a show. At about 6pm on Friday I start powersmoking until Sunday night. It is pretty ridiculous. But fun.

Everyone in my family, except me, works in the health care industry. I am reminded constantly about the health effects. I am well aware of what I am doing. I just really enjoy it, at least for now. I plan to quit in the near future, but until then I will take full advantage my weekend, nighttime nicotine excursions.

Jon
Barbo

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:41 am

I'm assuming its only the two of you? Are you working food or something?
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby same on Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:50 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:

I'm assuming its only the two of you? Are you working food or something?

Yes it's only the two of us, and it's a very busy cafe/bakery. So if any of you think I'm the prick for bitching about this it's obvious it's been a long time since you've worked worked in a fast-paced food service environment. Lucky you.
same

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap