Crap
83%
Not Crap
17%

Total votes : 150

Re: Band: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Postby sulfur)addict on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:
harpseal2 wrote:I like some of their stuff, I hate to say.

You should listen to whatever music you enjoy the most and if anyone has a problem with that then tell them to fuck off.

+1

Frusciante's guitar on BSSM and Mother's Milk still holds up. Too bad Kiedis sings on those albums.

When I visited a German cousin in Berlin, one of the few books he had in English was Scar Tissue. i was unnerved, to say nothing more of it.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby zircona1 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:46 pm

I'm going with Crap overall, b/c I feel their best work is behind them and they should've broken up a while back. They're just boring now.

I admit I own BSSM and Californication, but I rarely listen to them. I will say, though, that the deeper cuts on both albums are good.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby Snowblinder on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:06 am

Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby harpseal2 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:05 am

prowler wrote:^trying not to sound like a dick here* but really, it's OK at your age to think RHCP are alright while not getting, say, the Minutemen. the fact that you're even considering these things already puts you ahead of most people. so don't worry so much, nobody here's gonna judge you. and even if they did, life's too short to worry. now if 10 years from now you still like the same things, then maybe you should start to wonder if something's wrong.

*not really trying :(

It's alright, it's not really dickish at all. I get what you're saying.

I'm not saying RHCP are even close to a good band, and I'm aware that with the Minutemen, it's just my taste, and maybe they will grow on me. Hell, Shellac had to grow on me. RHCP does nothing for me outside of a few songs, and one is solely because of middle school nostalgia.

But I'm not really sure they deserve the sheer amount of hate they seem to be getting. They always try to promote their lesser-known influences, like Fugazi for example.

At the end of the day, it's not the most offensively bad stuff I've heard on the radio. It can get worse, like it could be Limp Bizkit, for example.

Isabelle Gall wrote:

You should listen to whatever music you enjoy the most and if anyone has a problem with that then tell them to fuck off.

I gotta admit, these are some wise words to live by. Thanks!
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby Me Again on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:44 am

Isabelle Gall wrote:

Cosigned.

Make no mistake, you are not in fact obligated to like or dislike anything.

It isn't as if when you die you'll be beamed up to the Pearly Gates and God will say "I see here you watched Bride of Chucky twice but never made time for Andre Rublev."

Outside the critical sphere, taste in art matters very little. We can build our identities around it, but it has nothing to do with being a good person.

And one of the benefits of aging a little is seeing artists and idioms that were once very central to people's identities fading away. What might be considered "cool" or "novel" in one time and place can later become a footnote that not a lot of people care about. And vice versa.

No, I don't think RHCP are that great, but it's nothing worth losing sleep over.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
jennifer garner
jennifer garner

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:05 am

Keidis has always been acutely irritating but I think the thing about these guys that really grates is how shamelessly they've been chasing pop radio singles ever since they made it big. So now it doesn't matter if they're in the middle of some James Brown-styled thing or whatever, they're still going to break into a big shit-eating singalong chorus after 90 seconds.

Nothing wrong with pop music but RHCP are terrible at it.

And the worst of it is that it seems to work anyway. And so they keep writing these bad new songs and they keep playing them on the radio and what Nick Cave said.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby 154 on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:24 am

Anthony Flack wrote:So now it doesn't matter if they're in the middle of some James Brown-styled thing or whatever, they're still going to break into a big shit-eating singalong chorus after 90 seconds.

Which is what makes everything from Californication on so detestable. It sounds like they write an album of their own stuff, a jingle writer for Pringles or whatever writes a handful of isolated chorus parts and then they cut and paste them together. Mix and master it super loud so the point gets across over people's built-in toaster mp3 players and there you have it. Most pandering 'alternative' band ever.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby seanurban on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Summer of 1999, driving in my car with a friend, scar tissue comes on the radio.
He says, hey check out this new chili peppers song.
I give it a minute or so.
I say, ok enjoy it while you can. Because in two weeks you will give anything to hear a different song on the radio.
His countenance immediately dropped as he realized i had spoken the truth.
seanurban
King High

Postby givemenoughrope on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:20 pm

I really liked the early stuff at like 11, mostly bc it was just garage punk funk with the vocals mixed low (like, barely audible). Had no idea what the lyrics were (beyond the obvious) or anything. Great gateway band to Funkadelic, Sly Stone, stuff like Defunkt and some LA punk. As the more produced albums came out (Mother's Milk) it was an exercise in ignoring the shit elements (vocals, gated snares) to appreciate the good stuff (guitar parts). BSSM came out and I wrote them off completely since the lyrics, vocals were abysmal; came back around to appreciate the guitar and recording. Everything after that was just torture pop radio with the occasion neat guitar part.

I figured that JF breaking off would be right up my alley but to this day I have no idea to what to make of any of his music. I've also never used heroin.

crap, waffles for guitar
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby J_Temperance on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:08 pm

I think there is no musical entity I despise more than this band. Yes I know that Flea, Chad Smith and Frusciante are decent musicians and that they rep Beefheart P-Funk the Minutemen and Gang of Four and Fugazi and shit (which is more than can be said for today's ignorant pop stars...see Sam Smith bitching about Radiohead and Justin Bieber slagging off Prince) but they do so while playing music that is the exact opposite of the aforementioned artists'. Just the dumbest shit ever.

I may be biased because just about 98% of the time that I jam with local music people around here they're all about "the Chili's pHaT seXxXy beatz" but seriously, fuck this shit. It's sad to think that this is the only semi-rock band that seems to still hold a measure of popularity. Seriously, uggh humanity.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:24 pm

J_Temperance wrote:just about 98% of the time that I jam with local music people around here they're all about "the Chili's pHaT seXxXy beatz"

That's extraordinary. Do you mostly jam with 12 year olds?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby J_Temperance on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
J_Temperance wrote:just about 98% of the time that I jam with local music people around here they're all about "the Chili's pHaT seXxXy beatz"

That's extraordinary. Do you mostly jam with 12 year olds?

Yep, just trying to reenact the plot to School of Rock around here. A whole bunch of middle schoolers "making music" with a solitary late 20's man, not creepy at all!
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Ha, you know I've done the School of Rock thing (parent-sanctioned, not creepy). It is great fun. Kids' enthusiasm for music is a beautiful, inspirational thing. But I don't recall meeting anybody older than a teenager who would profess to enjoying the RHCP's output over the last decade or so.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Sprague Dawley on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:30 am

whyft I read thru this whole fucking thread I do not know. insipid tuneless cockrot. although I was rooting Uplift Mofo and Freaky Styley back in the day and the teenage me would be spewing at me voting crap 30 years later.
Sprague Dawley
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Major on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:17 am

Say what you will about the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but they won't go away.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby travis k on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Junkies don't fall down. They will stay on their feet, no matter how precariously.
travis k
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Major on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 pm

I wish Anthony Kedis would go back under the bridge.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby jtyler on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Ha, you know I've done the School of Rock thing (parent-sanctioned, not creepy). It is great fun. Kids' enthusiasm for music is a beautiful, inspirational thing. But I don't recall meeting anybody older than a teenager who would profess to enjoying the RHCP's output over the last decade or so.

I've met more than a few, and I've always been surprised.

EDIT: Well, I wasn't looking and accidentally voted NC, so it looks like I'm one of them...
jtyler
pod
pod

Postby BabyFang on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 am

The White Hot Chili Funkers are crap, IMO. Weirdly, Calipenetration is the one I can stand the most. There's plenty to like about Flea and Frusciante, though.
BabyFang
troll
troll

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap