Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Crap
83%
Not Crap
17%

Total votes : 150

Postby motorbike guy on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:51 pm

a horrible horrible band. their worst quality is how their fans seem to think that liking them is "cool" and "countercultural" and "different" and shit.

RHCP are second in this craptastic category (delusions of taste) to the all time winners - my most hated band - Fishbone.

except my most hated band is the Dead. but same idea.....
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Arson Smith on Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:57 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:did i hear that they stole the single from their new album from tom petty or is that someone else?

Well, those chord changes in the verses bear a striking resemblance to Petty's "Last Dance With Mary Jane", which probably bears a striking resemblance to god-knows-how-many-other-songs-as-well... but, yeah.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Schadenfreude on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:45 pm

Musically, crap.

They come off to me as swell fellows, though.
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

Postby tommydski on Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:47 am

bradley r. weissenberger wrote:I was disappointed not to see the video for "Under The Bridge" because, really, who doesn't need to see a shirtless Anthony Kiedis running in slow motion directly toward the camera?

It now occurs to me that the phrase "a shirtless Anthony Kiedis" is completely redundant.

As he ages, Flea looks more and more like his name should be Seamus.

They call their new double album "Stadium Arcadium".

The letters "RHCP" present an irritating combination and order of letters.

Anyway, my chance encounter with this band's videos reminded me of how much I dislike their music and most everything else that surrounds their music.

Absolute CRHP.

this is my favourite bradley post ever.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Mose Varty-Seppanen on Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:29 am

tmidgett wrote: john frusciante seems like a genuine freak in the mold of the kirkwood brothers, which means he might've done something i would like at some time

but this is one of the worst bands of all time

pure shiznit

My thoughts exactly.

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote: As he ages, Flea looks more and more like his name should be Seamus.

Ha Ha Ha, I agree but there's no reason to hold that against the guy.
Anthony Keidis needs his head impaled on a spear.

Total Crap
Mose Varty-Seppanen
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:58 am

tommydski wrote:this is my favourite bradley post ever.

Here is a far better Bradley post.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby alex maiolo on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:14 pm

Poop.

They seem like nice guys. They seem to be having a good time.

They are good about spreading the gospel of the bands they listened to. They talked about P-funk before it was cool to like them again, back in the mid-80s. Props to Gang Of Four, Black Flag, Minutemen, etc.

But these influences clearly didn't make a difference, so that makes the music extra crap.

-A
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby ctrl-s on Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:50 pm

In 1984 a naked Flea flying-tackled Jon King from Gang of Four onstage in L.A., causing what I would imagine to be deep and lasting trauma (not to mention its effect on witnesses), so not crap. Even though their goofy-ass music is very bad indeed, I never expected Thing One from Flea & co.

edit: I seem to recall one S. Albini giving an enthusiastic nod in Matter Magazine to the song "Police Helicopter" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers' first album -- "baddest punk-funk thang ever," or something like that. HMMMM. (He did pan the album as a whole, though.)
Last edited by ctrl-s on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctrl-s
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby glynnisjohns on Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:13 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:

UN FUEGO!
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby alpha80 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Total Crap apart from a few riffs/bridges...

Vocals were consistently crap.

Crap.
alpha80
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby alpha80 on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:

:lol: LOL :lol:
alpha80
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby Ace on Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:33 pm

crap crap CRAAAAAP. I'd always thought it is just their newer stuff, and remembered how i used to love their old stuff when i was in middle school, but MY GOD i just heard the song 'knock me down' playing from my cousin's stereo and i'm ready. to. kill.
worst song i've ever heard, perhaps.
Last edited by Ace on Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

Postby lemur68 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:08 pm

The chorus from their latest radio single:

Hey oh
listen what I say oh
I got your hey oh
now listen what I say oh

Describing this lyric as something other than "sub-Kravitz" would require more thought than Keidis obviously put into writing it.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mayfair on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Though I consider them to be a band making some terrible terrible music (the alt-funk-power-ballad-for-movie-soundtrack) I will have to admit to liking the playing of Flea and Hillel Slovak on the "Uplift..." LP quite a lot. I was never a fan of Anthony Kiedis's singing which kept me from too much further investigation of the band and its records....
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby rocker654 on Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:34 pm

You do know that Flea was the bassplayer for Fear at one point....
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654

Postby caix on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:14 am

Though they have some great songs on early albums, they've degenerated over the years in a way which erases whatever they had going for them originally.
I play bass in Fake Limbs.
caix

Postby Minotaur029 on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:17 am

Total crap. I can't believe this band is still around.

But I actually like their version of "Love Rollercoaster" in the context of Beavis and Butthead Do America.
Minotaur029

Postby copower on Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:10 am

i'd much rather listen to faith no more (the real thing) or the self titled mr. bungle album, which i feel represent the real and totally better versions of anything RHCP ever tried to accomplish.

i fucking hate the chili peppers, and i dont respect the singer much due to that hassle with him and mr. bungle.

just seems really really stupid to me.

CCCCCRAP.
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby copower on Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:11 am

heres an interesting read, sorry i couldnt just link it:

# What is this about a feud between Mike Patton and Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers? Did it really get Mr. Bungle kicked off of a festival?

Based on various interviews with the people involved, it seems to boil down to this: In 1989 Faith No More released an album called "The Real Thing," and several singles from that album for which videos were made. The video for "Epic" became very popular, and Patton was suddenly seen in silly clothing, swinging his long hair around, rapping to Faith No More's funk-metal sound, all over the world. Anthony Kiedis seems to have been oblivious to the fact that this sort of combination of funk, metal, and rap (always accompanied by bad clothing and hair) had been the trend on the West Coast for some time, and wasn't actually invented by his band. Envious of Faith No More's success, and angry that it seemed to have been achieved at least in part due to the wild frontman who he thought had stolen his "moves," he accused Patton of ripping him off in the press. Members of Mr. Bungle responded by gleefully threatening Kiedis with bodily harm in the press. Eventually Patton and Kiedis met in person, were polite to one another, and everyone lost interest.

Many years later, after Faith No More was long gone and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were hugely successful, the release of Mr. Bungle's "California" was pushed back by Warner Bros. so it wouldn't come out at the same time as the Red Hot Chili Pepper's similarly-named "Californication." Then, when Mr. Bungle were asked to play at some European festivals in the Summer of 1999, Kiedis threatened to cancel his band's appearance, and Bungle were dropped. That Halloween, Mr. Bungle retaliated by playing a show in Pontiac, Michigan dressed as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, complete with freqent heroin injections and covers of really bad songs. This resulted in Kiedis having them kicked off of some Australian festivals.

Fun quotes:

"OK, here's what happened, 'cause I know he has his opinion, now here's mine. In that interview the writer said, 'Are you guys sick of people ripping you off?' I said, 'Who are you referring to?' and he said, 'Well, Mike Patton in Faith No More.' So I told him what our drummer said, and yeah I watch that 'Epic' video, and I see him jumping up and down, rapping, and it looked like I was looking in the mirror. The thing is, I had no problem with him personally. I mean, I love 'The Real Thing,' and I liked his vocals on that record. I mean, when I heard the record I noticed subtle similarities, but when I saw that video it was like, 'Wait a second here, what the fuck?'" -- Anthony Kiedis

"I mean, the Chili Peppers is something I hadn't really thought of in years. And I'll go ahead and tell you this. Why not? I haven't told anybody else yet. We were looking at booking some Mr. Bungle shows in Europe this past summer, some big festivals, which is something we'd never done before. We figured it'd be a good thing: We'd get to play in front of a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise hear us. Our agent was in the process of booking these festivals, and it was becoming apparent that we'd landed some pretty good ones—one in France, another one in Holland, some big-name festivals. Turns out someone's holding a grudge! We were booted off several bills, including a really big festival in Australia, specifically because Anthony Kiedis did not want us on the bill. He threatened to pull the Chili Peppers if Mr. Bungle was on the bill. Now, rationalize that one! That's so fucking pathetic! I mean, this guy's selling a million records! We are not even a speck of dust on this guy's ass! What's the fucking problem? It's unbelievable." -- Mike Patton

"I would not have given two fucks if they played with us there, but after I heard about some Halloween show where they mocked us and read another interview where Patton talked shit about us, and I was like, you know what, fuck him and fuck the whole band." -- Anthony Kiedis

"We were booked, months in advance, to do eleven festival dates in Europe. Come Summer, we get a call from the three biggest of those festivals, all of them the same day, saying that we can't play, because the headlining band retains the right to hire and fire whomever they wish. We found out it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers, so our manager called their manager to find out what the hell was going on, and their manager was very apologetic, and said, 'We're really sorry, we want you to know this doesn't reflect the management's position, or the band's for that matter, it's Anthony Kiedis who wants this.'" -- Trey Spruance
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby m.koren on Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:49 am

They might redeem themselves (light years from now) if they ditched Anthony and put out nothing but hard funk instrumentals. Why let Flea and Chad's talent go to waste artistically(cause right now it is). If anyones had a chance to see what these guys can do out of the RHCP shackles, well it ain't so bad really. Sonically , Blood Sugar is a great album. I winced when Rick Rubin said he only used 57s for close mics on guitars and drums. Hope it isn't really true?
m.koren

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap