Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Crap
83%
Not Crap
17%

Total votes : 150

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:42 pm

I used to really love these guys. Not sure why.

I managed to amass a large number of their "collectible" stuff, which, as a cursory search of Ebay tonight confirms, is "worth something."

This guarantees that this stuff will be leaving my house shortly.

I can smell that new Fuji GA645i already.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby a. james on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:55 pm

burun wrote:I used to really love these guys. Not sure why.

I managed to amass a large number of their "collectible" stuff, which, as a cursory search of Ebay tonight confirms, is "worth something."

This guarantees that this stuff will be leaving my house shortly.

I can smell that new Fuji GA645i already.

why you were willing to unload a guitar when you had that stack of garbage sitting around is beyond me.

check your records you might be able to keep that guitar.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 pm

The guitar-selling is not for financial reasons, it's for clutter reasons.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Postby Jeremy B on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 pm

Musically they are the definition of crap. I've read some interviews with Flea and the wacko guitar player, they both seem like geuine nice people. But nice people make CRAP all the time.

-Jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:53 pm

I actually don't mind their early stuff. Hillel Slovak is an astoundingly overrated player, but it's nice, sexist, mindless fun. Flea is good, but also overrated.

They're not really very funky at all, and I never got around to listening to blood sugar, but overall some of their records are pretty fun (caveat: suspend your intelligence).

As the Brits say, however, Anthony Kiedis is a fucking bell-end. All his lyrics = "ME SO MYSTIKALLLY HORNEE BIAAAAAATCCCCHHHHHHHHH". Fold up your dick and stop trying to fuck my earholes, Tone.

It's nice music to play when you feel like either ignoring or killing your braincells, which must be why so many fratboy closet cases love them so much.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:21 pm

Crap and not Crap.

This band was my KISS and sort of musical gateway drug as a preteen. Hearing Flea and Frusciante talk about (and sometimes TRY to play like) Black Flag, Mike Watt, Funkadelic, Lightning Hopkins, Eric Dolphy, James Brown etc. was kind of important...I wish there was a big stupid band around like this NOW for people that age. Instead, there is indie and emo and bullshit.

I also wish that Flea had kept up his playing like Frusciante (who is a GREAT guitar player) and started a different band without the "singer". Worth seeing live for the guitaring alone.

They have written some of the worst "hit songs" imaginable.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby PEPPER! on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:33 pm

CRAP, BIG COILY STEAMY CRAP
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby enframed on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:58 pm

so fucking crap. even their old stuff.

i do tolerate ONE song from californication. i think it's called "road trippin" and in it someone (probably not one of them) plays a chamberlain to superb effect. the song is just fine until kiedis opens his enormous mouth.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby RBoyer on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:27 pm

This is the band that should have been called "The Pretenders."

Pathetic.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:30 pm

burun wrote:I used to really love these guys. Not sure why.

Because you're female, that's why. All the ladies seemed to love this band back in the day--even the cool ones.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Jodi S. on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:Because you're female, that's why. All the ladies seemed to love this band back in the day--even the cool ones.

Oooh, that stings, Brett.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Postby ianscanlon on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 am

The only explanation for their continued existence is that the world is an intolerably cruel and unjust place full of evil, (and shirtless white boy wannabe funkitude) CRAP. Somewhere on the internet there's clips for a really awful instructional video where an obviously wiped out flea is interviewed by an equally wiped out River phoenix.. BOOOO
ianscanlon
red hodges
red hodges

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 am

I've seen my share of terrible funk bands that weren't white and wore shirts. My guess is that there is nothing that you could play that would be as entertaining as the three instrumentalists in that band. CRAP
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby fancyjamtime on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:23 am

mattw wrote:Frusciante's solo stuff is pretty good

Yes. There's a Youtube vid of him playing "How Deep is Your Love" that's tits. Hate the red hots though.
Buster Bluth wrote:No mother, I can blow myself! You've interfered for the last time!
fancyjamtime
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Piasek on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:09 am

red crap chili peppers
Piasek
grand
grand

Postby Conchis on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:40 am

How different would the vote count be if they had a different singer?

I can understand the scorn, but I really, really dig the instrumental part of the their music, and in particular the cool sounds Frusciante makes with his guitar.

I like the lavish production on Stadium Arcadium quite a bit. It was obviously made with great care, recorded on tape, and is an extra pleasure on vinyl due to the mastering job by Steve Hoffman. Listening to it makes me feel good, despite the incredibly lame lyrics. Feel free to take a dump on me for saying this.

Frankly it boggles my mind that pure unadulterated HACKS like the Foo Fighters seem to get a pass on this board while RHCP get completely shit on. How the hell did Dave Grohl go from the awesome drummer in Nirvana to this?
Conchis
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby RBoyer on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:44 am

Conchis wrote:How different would the vote count be if they had a different singer?

Wouldn't make a difference at all. Different perfume on a turd is still just perfume on a turd.
RBoyer

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:50 am

Conchis wrote:How different would the vote count be if they had a different singer?

I can understand the scorn, but I really, really dig the instrumental part of the their music, and in particular the cool sounds Frusciante makes with his guitar.

I like the lavish production on Stadium Arcadium quite a bit. It was obviously made with great care, recorded on tape, and is an extra pleasure on vinyl due to the mastering job by Steve Hoffman. Listening to it makes me feel good, despite the incredibly lame lyrics. Feel free to take a dump on me for saying this.

Frankly it boggles my mind that pure unadulterated HACKS like the Foo Fighters seem to get a pass on this board while RHCP get completely shit on. How the hell did Dave Grohl go from the awesome drummer in Nirvana to this?

Foo Fighters don't get a pass from me. Grohl fucked up by not being satisfied with being an awesome drummer and feeling the need to step out front just like so many great-drummers-turned-shitty-frontmen before him. I'm talking to you, Ringo, among others.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby FuzzBob on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:16 pm

The Hillel Slovak period was their peak, and even Frusciante admitted as much when he left the band in the '90s, when he says the band turned from something good into a bunch of tools hopping around onstage with sock-phalli. George Clinton produced Freaky Styley, so at least they weren't fakin' the funk in 1985.

RHCP should have died young and left a dignified corpse when Frusciante left, but nooooo, they had to grind out a few more shark-jumping records to continue bankrolling their expensive heroin habits/rehab.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:25 pm

Conchis wrote:How different would the vote count be if they had a good singer?

Probably pretty different. Who knows...I might have still liked em now. I used to like them back when I was young and ignorant, but not anymore, and most of my dislike is focused toward kiedis and chad smith, who is NOT an incredibly funky drummer at all. the only times that guy came close to funky was blood sugar sex magik, and even that was pretty rare. none of their drummers have ever had the funk.

and kiedis is a complete fucking buffoon.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap