Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

crap/not crap

crap
3%
not crap
97%

Total votes : 151

Postby MonsterDad on Mon May 26, 2008 4:13 pm

They were one of the main reasons why my friends and I took the trip to Chicago for the T&G anniversary. The first song alone (She Said) made the trip worthwhile.

Mary had a little drug problem is at moments my favorite song of all time.

NOT CRAP

scratch acid
berserker
just keep eating
MonsterDad
sister
sister

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sat May 31, 2008 11:29 pm

I apologize for asking this in the Scratch Acid thread, but if anyone knows what guitar/model of guitar Duane Denison used for Goat and Liar, I would appreciate if someone could fill me in.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby SecondEdition on Sat May 31, 2008 11:52 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:I apologize for asking this in the Scratch Acid thread, but if anyone knows what guitar/model of guitar Duane Denison used for Goat and Liar, I would appreciate if someone could fill me in.

travis bean tb-1000s, hamer tele copy i think.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby a. james on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:55 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:I apologize for asking this in the Scratch Acid thread, but if anyone knows what guitar/model of guitar Duane Denison used for Goat and Liar, I would appreciate if someone could fill me in.

i think those two albums both have the bean, down onward has the fender copies.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:47 am

Thanks for the info. guys.

but on a different note,

WHO THE FUCK JUST VOTED CRAP for Scratch Acid??????

They were undefeated
AnthonyVillalobos

Re: band:Scratch Acid

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:44 pm

I always wanted to know what stuff (guitars/amps/effects) Brett Bradford was using in Scratch Acid. I like his guitar tone a lot. I've seen a Les Paul during the original timeperiod in pictures, saw a Strat for the reunion stuff, some class of head and I think a Marshall cabinet during the original time in pictures, and have heard a flanger on at least some songs ("She Said" comes to mind), but other than that, I'm blank. How'd he get it?

Oh, and again: This band was awesome.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Model Citizen on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:04 pm

This was the band that turned me on to punk rock. Before I heard Scratch Acid, I was still into music but not interested in making it.

Within about a week or so of hearing them I was playing bass in a band - the first time I played an instrument was the first day of band practice. They had a pretty big impact on my life.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Picture 1

Picture 2

Seriously, what is that head he's using? Is it an old Peavey?

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Really wish I could have caught this band at T&G25. "Owner's Lament" in particular will just kill you. Beautiful.
Minotaur029

Postby Mr. Chimp on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:Really wish I could have caught this band at T&G25. "Owner's Lament" in particular will just kill you. Beautiful.

Airtight case for reunion shows. Just incredible.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 am

A real favorite. All the parts in this band worked so well together. Muscular, precise drumming. Loose, manically noisy guitar w/pronounced surf, rockabilly, and metal influences. Memorable walking basslines and grooves. Off-the-wall singer wailing something simultaneously horrible and funny.

Why yes, it's a bit derivative of PiL and the Birthday Party. But so's your mother. The first mini-LP is just flawless. A really perfect document, I reach for it more often than any Jesus Lizard vinyl (which I also like very much). It's infinitely more reckless sounding and full of tension.

The other two releases have their highs and low (Berserker being the better of the two) but man, that first one just nails it. Wish I were old enough to have seen this band live. Missed them by a couple of years.

Brett Bradford=huge guitar influence for me.

Not crap, no waffles b/c even the lesser material is interesting.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby chumpchange on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:35 am

Minotaur029 wrote:Really wish I could have caught this band at T&G25. "Owner's Lament" in particular will just kill you. Beautiful.

"Owner's Lament" was my first introduction to Scratch Acid, in 1985 I think. Earlier that year a friend had persuaded me to start tuning into the University of Alberta radio station, CJSR, which is where I heard the song. Still, after many years, my favorite Scratch Acid composition.
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Dave N. on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 am

This is like walking into a baptist church and asking "Who loves Jesus?"

Of course, it's NC.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Luzwei on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:41 am

Not Crap.

So eloquently put.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:46 am

chumpchange wrote:

"Owner's Lament" was my first introduction to Scratch Acid, in 1985 I think. Earlier that year a friend had persuaded me to start tuning into the University of Alberta radio station, CJSR, which is where I heard the song. Still, after many years, my favorite Scratch Acid composition.

Yeah, last time I listened to The Greatest Gift I realised my favourite Scratch Acid moments are the ones with strings. So pretty and so strange.

Also ever since getting into the U-Men, I don't think they sound like the Birthday Party as much as I used to.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby Luzwei on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 am

Bill Swansea wrote:
chumpchange wrote:

Yeah, last time I listened to The Greatest Gift I realised my favourite Scratch Acid moments are the ones with strings. So pretty and so strange.

Also ever since getting into the U-Men, I don't think they sound like the Birthday Party as much as I used to.

Although Yow ads another dimension to that band, the guitar playing in that band is the thing that does it for me too. You can realize that if you can maybe get your hands/ears on early pre Yow demos. That guitar is THERE!

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei

Postby Luzwei on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:58 am

The Greatest Gift has one of the best intros that I have ever heard. It has that surf vibe that I can't stop shaking my head to it.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei

Postby Domagoj on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 pm

Scratch Acid / Berserker [interchangeable position]

Just Keep Eating
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby chumpchange on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:04 am

Bill Swansea wrote:
chumpchange wrote:

And the U-Men! Of course! It was on the very same radio show that played "Owners Lament" that I heard "Clubs" for the first time. Probably like 3 songs apart from each other. I had taped that particular broadcast and listened to it for months, which is why I can remember this from 25 years ago and not what my last credit card purchase was.
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:45 am

chumpchange wrote:
Bill Swansea wrote:
chumpchange wrote:

And the U-Men! Of course! It was on the very same radio show that played "Owners Lament" that I heard "Clubs" for the first time. Probably like 3 songs apart from each other. I had taped that particular broadcast and listened to it for months, which is why I can remember this from 25 years ago and not what my last credit card purchase was.

That sounds like one amazing radio show. The U-Men were a great, great band. I wonder if they have a poll...
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap