13%
Not Crap?
84%
Who?
3%

Total votes : 32

Re: Band: The Karl Hendricks Trio

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

I like the copy of A Gesture of Kindness that FM jonsolomon sent me as a freebie. I play it regularly and I should probably check out some of the stuff that he's done in the subsequent two decades.

Very sorry to hear about Karl's illness (I had no idea) and hope it's all going well, or as well as can be, and that he's maintaining that sense of humour that is so evident in his songwriting.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ranxerox on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 am

Been listening to the Zoltars a lot lately.

They sometimes remind of the longings heard on some KHT recordings. KHT has recorded some special shit. Really great stuff. You would think it is generic, but it has nuances and depths that never give up or let you go.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Carl on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 am

Chris Ware created the artwork for the Karl Hendricks Trio's 1995 album A Gesture of Kindness. Twenty years later, Chris has offered his original artwork up for auction to help Karl pay his bills.

The auction runs through April 16. Thanks to Jon Solomon for running the auction and to Chris Ware for his gracious generosity on Karl's behalf.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby jonsolomon on Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:39 pm

jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:37 am

jonsolomon wrote:https://www.drawnandquarterly.com/blog/2015/04/original-chris-ware-artwork-auction

This ends tonight at 11:00 pm ET. Tell your art collector friends!
jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby jonsolomon on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 am

A public memorial for Karl Hendricks will be held at Brillobox in Pittsburgh on Saturday from 5-9 pm ET.
jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby zircona1 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:35 pm

I have never heard of this band.

Recommend me an album to start.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
carter family
carter family

Postby Carl on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:47 pm

zircona1 wrote:I have never heard of this band.

Recommend me an album to start.

Depends on your tastes. If you like short, concise, noisy songs, A Gesture of Kindness is a good introduction. If you like Crazy Horse guitar workouts, The World Says is as good as that gets.

The words "Karl Hendricks Trio" or "Karl Hendricks Rock Band" on a record indicate sterling quality. What their presence represents is a part of how his loss hurts.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby jonsolomon on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:20 pm

I posted this on my Facebook page and things have escalated quickly, so I share it here as well...

So, I was thinking.

Would anyone reading this want to record covers of Karl Hendricks songs?

I could put'm each up on Bandcamp as a compilation and give all the $$$ for downloading to his wife / kids.

No set deadline*.

A song gets finished, up it goes on the page.

Let me know if you would like to take part - either in the comments or privately.

Thanks.

Jon

*That said, I'd love to put a first batch of songs up on March 1st.
jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby Carl on Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Midnight ET Friday/Saturday before the memorial, WRCT will play a lot of Karl's music into the wee hours. 88.3fm in western Pennsylvania and www.wrct.org everywhere.

jonsolomon wrote:A public memorial for Karl Hendricks will be held at Brillobox in Pittsburgh on Saturday from 5-9 pm ET.
Carl

Postby Carl on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 am

Carl

Postby jonsolomon on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 am

The covers of Karl Hendricks songs have started to come in and they're really terrific. Re-workings of "The World Says," "The Ballad of Bill Lee" and "When Will the Goddamn Poor Wise Up?" all reached me in the past few days.

If you / yours would like to record something for the forthcoming tribute compilation, please try and get me your track(s) by March 1st. That’s when I’m planning to post the first set of tunes on Bandcamp, with further updates following as pieces are completed.

jonsolomon wrote:I posted this on my Facebook page and things have escalated quickly, so I share it here as well...

So, I was thinking.

I could put'm each up on Bandcamp as a compilation and give all the $$$ for downloading to his wife / kids.

No set deadline*.

Let me know if you would like to take part - either in the comments or privately.

Thanks.

Jon

jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby jonsolomon on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am

There are 13 finished Karl Henrdricks covers that have been sent to me so far.

For those still trying to figure out what song to tackle, if you wanted to avoid duplicates (something I personally welcome, but I’m not you), here’s what I have received:

The Ballad of Bill Lee, Baseball Cards, Coming In September, Dead Flowers (2), The Last Thing You’ll Ever Do For Me, Painted My Heart, Some Girls Like Cigarettes, When Will The Goddamn Poor Wise Up, The World Says (2), The Worst Coffee I’ve Ever Had, Your Lesbian Friends

Jon

(I also know of spins on Flowers Avenue and The Scoffer's Reply in the works.)

jonsolomon wrote:The covers of Karl Hendricks songs have started to come in and they're really terrific. Re-workings of "The World Says," "The Ballad of Bill Lee" and "When Will the Goddamn Poor Wise Up?" all reached me in the past few days.

If you / yours would like to record something for the forthcoming tribute compilation, please try and get me your track(s) by March 1st. That’s when I’m planning to post the first set of tunes on Bandcamp, with further updates following as pieces are completed.

jonsolomon wrote:I posted this on my Facebook page and things have escalated quickly, so I share it here as well...

So, I was thinking.

No set deadline*.

Thanks.

Jon

jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby jonsolomon on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 am

Our friend Karl Hendricks died in January 2017. He was 46.

Karl was one of the best songwriters of this generation (or any other) but he was an even better father than he was a musician, and a thorough inspiration to many as a husband, dad, artist and business owner who carried himself with a quiet dignity through some unspeakably lousy times.

This collection of Karl Hendricks covers (with artwork by Dana Lechtenberg) is our perpetual tribute to the “bard of Pittsburgh.”

Some tracks come via dear friends, others from people who just loved the music of The Karl Hendricks Trio.

They’re arranged by artist alphabetically as a nod to something Karl said about there being two perfect inventions in the whole world: “the wheel and the alphabet.”

New songs will be added as they are completed and I hope that people will come across this page and be inspired to record their own.

Including you.

All proceeds from this digital compilation will go to Karl’s wife and children.

You can purchase “The Wheel and the Alphabet: A Tribute to Karl Hendricks” here, where you will also find additional information about each artist and their song.

Jon Solomon / Comedy Minus One
jonsolomon
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby Carl on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

jonsolomon wrote:New songs will be added as they are completed and I hope that people will come across this page and be inspired to record their own.

At the start of 2018, a couple of great new additions have joined the collection: Matt Jencik's version of Thee Speaking Canaries' "Dizzy and Stoned" and Disastronaut's remarkably faithful version of "Naked and High on Drugs."
Carl

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap