Unwound

Crap
4%
Not Crap
96%

Total votes : 219

Re: Band : Unwound

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:37 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:Indie Rock Confession: The fill at ~5:02 in We Invent You has been making me cringe for 15 years now.

You know, I was just thinking of asking about Sara Lund's drumming on this page. I've been listening to full albums by this band for the first time, mostly working backward from Leaves Turn Inside You. So far neither of the three of them, actually, really grab me as players, but besides wanting more aggression at certain points I can't really think of anything I'd change. They sound like a unit.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby crustandcrumb on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Sara is a competent drummer. And actually, in my view, anything short of laying a track down live
is basically simulacrum and/or faux pas. But if you botch a fill like that, fix it.

There's a track on the Gorguts record Colored Sands where John Longstreth rushes a fill just slightly, but to my ears it's glaring. Gets me every time.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:46 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:Indie Rock Confession: The fill at ~5:02 in We Invent You has been making me cringe for 15 years now.

I'm a big fan of that whole record and am really curious as to what you are referring to. Like at the end of the song there where the drums go out? I think all the albums I've ever been a part of are full of things like that haha, particularly drum things, but that kind of thing has never really bothered me much, if at all. But I'm curious as to what other people are bothered by I guess. Perhaps its more glaring in what is otherwise entirely competent drumming. I never think much about such things though, just learn to like the mistakes haha. Maybe vocal things, if anything, tend to make me cringe. But such vox things are usually done on purpose by the performer.
SkronkFronkerdale
mister rogers
mister rogers

Postby crustandcrumb on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 am

Yeah, go to 5:00 which will give you a couple seconds of context, then listen to the fill at 5:02.

phpBB [video]
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby eliya on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 pm

It kind of sounds like she was starting (or intended) to play a busier fill, kind of like the one on 4:44, but then decided to play a simple ba-da ba-da fill that has half the strokes. So it's like she's trying to curb the busier fill energy.

I'm into it!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:16 pm

sounds normal to me
Bernardo

Postby Redline on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm

The drum fill after the second verse of the Allman Brothers Melissa is far worse.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby J. Burns on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:04 pm

"Yo Sara Lund, let's take these motherfuckers to South Central"
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Came back to these guys after a while this week. Still love their whole catalogue.

Anyway, what’s the pedal used on guitar at ~1.53. In Corpse Pose? Some sort of phaser?

phpBB [media]
Verbs & Nouns
matthew perry
matthew perry

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Came back to these guys after a while this week. Still love their whole catalogue.

Anyway, what’s the pedal used on guitar at ~1.53. In Corpse Pose? Some sort of phaser?

phpBB [media]

Have been informed by an outside source this:

“That sound in corpse pose is the guitar being doubled with an analog synth like a ms20. they did it as sort of a nod/pisstake of the lead break in buddy holly by weezer.”
Verbs & Nouns
matthew perry
matthew perry

Postby 154 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 am

Yeah pretty sure Steve Fisk was throwing down some synth parts by the last few records. He might have even been credited for keys on Leaves.

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:45 am

crustandcrumb wrote:Yeah, go to 5:00 which will give you a couple seconds of context, then listen to the fill at 5:02.

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 am

Redline wrote:The drum fill after the second verse of the Allman Brothers Melissa is far worse.

:smt018
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby noise&light on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:26 pm

There are so many bands that I feel owe a small debt to Unwound. I imagine them as the musical influence of many young bands now. It's something that I think I hear when I listen to Ovlov, Yeesh, etc.

Sometimes you can be influenced by someone's impact, even if you aren't actually trying to copy them. A band can introduce a sound and it's in the air for other people to develop and experiment with.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Sprague Dawley on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 am

kind of bummed this reissue LP of New Plastic Ideas is one-dimensional, flat and way too quiet. Regretting selling my cass version. That thing sounded AWESOME.

during the 2 years I had my record shop I pretty much played the entire Unwound catalogue, on loop, for 8 hours a day, for 2 years, and never once got sick of it. BEST BAND.
Sprague Dawley
the cheat
the cheat

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap