CRAP
7%
NOT CRAP
93%

Total votes : 157

Re: Band: Hot Snakes

Postby motorbike guy on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Touring the Midwest now.

New dates on the West Coast and East Coast in May and June!!!

https://www.subpop.com/artists/hot_snakes/tours
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Andrew. on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:27 pm

New album is great.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tbone on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Yeah I am super into this record. Right up there with all their other ones. I feel like Rick sort of infused a bit of what he had been doing in Obits on this record, and I am digging it.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby numberthirty on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 pm

While I didn't want to be a huge wet blanket, I just can't get around that everything from here on out is going to sound seriously lame when compared to Thunder Down Under.

Obviously my problem, but it's still a bummer.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Always thought Froberg was kind of an underrated lyricist. Is "I Need a Doctor" about mortality and desperation or maybe the need for public health care? Answer is probably both and other stuff, too. Is "Death of A Sportsman" about a colonial trophy hunter, the poor rising up against the rich, or something more personal? Probably all the above. He's got that great yelp, one of my favorite voices, but there's also care and craft in the words, even though it's driving downstroke barchord rock.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:29 am

Sorry to go on here but I've wanted to follow up on this. There's like probably five people I know where I now live who like Hot Snakes (many more, most places I've lived). I know from interviews that Froberg sees his lyrics as emotional energy, not something that should be analyzed or taken out of context from the impact of the sound. It's not poetry. But I think there's enough going on with the words that the music matters that much more, because there's real intent, that isn't dumb, in the words. I value that.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby 154 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:02 am

Andrew. wrote:Is "I Need a Doctor" about mortality and desperation or maybe the need for public health care? Answer is probably both and other stuff, too.

Maybe not if some of the.. odd rants in this (probably drunken) interview are to be taken seriously. His bandmates try to kindly talk him back down at points. Or maybe they were just sick of the annoying interviewer.

phpBB [media]
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby J. Burns on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:17 pm

154 wrote:
Andrew. wrote:Is "I Need a Doctor" about mortality and desperation or maybe the need for public health care? Answer is probably both and other stuff, too.

Maybe not if some of the.. odd rants in this (probably drunken) interview are to be taken seriously. His bandmates try to kindly talk him back down at points. Or maybe they were just sick of the annoying interviewer.

phpBB [media]

I could be wrong but the read I got from the interview is that Rick isn't anti-health care, but that the ACA as implemented is severely compromised and kind of a clusterfuck. I don't 100% agree with that but I understand where he's coming from. If I was freelance and didn't have employer-provided health care and had to pay 30-40% of my income to get even a shitty plan, I could certainly see myself being sympathetic to his position.

I am not as articulate as I want to be discussing politics in the meat world even when sober, so I can relate.
J. Burns

Postby numberthirty on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:22 pm

J. Burns wrote:I could be wrong but the read I got from the interview is that Rick isn't anti-health care, but that the ACA as implemented is severely compromised and kind of a clusterfuck. I don't 100% agree with that but I understand where he's coming from. If I was freelance and didn't have employer-provided health care and had to pay 30-40% of my income to get even a shitty plan, I could certainly see myself being sympathetic to his position.

I am not as articulate as I want to be discussing politics in the meat world even when sober, so I can relate.

That was also what I got out of it. It's also not a particularly singular take on the state of things.
numberthirty

Postby holmes on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Sometimes people we like say things we don't like. It used to be a bit of a non-event. Ah...the good old days.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby J. Burns on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:41 pm

It's funny, when the interview came out and made the rounds initially, people were saying "oh, man, it's such a bummer that Rick is conservative!" But I (could only bear to watch it once because of the awful interviewer) didn't hear anything remotely right-wing coming from Rick.

Overly cynical and/or nihilistic? Sure. Too drunk to do a proper interview? Very possibly. But mostly just a regular kinda-liberal dude who is just kinda frustrated about shit in general.
J. Burns

Postby Andrew. on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:08 am

I haven't re-listened. But from my memory, I don't get what anyone is talking about. I remember him critiquing the ACA as the shitty neoliberal, private-insurance compromise it is. Guess I need to re-listen. Froberg is not a conservative. I think that's just liberals misinterpreting his leftism (however inchoate its is) because liberals are obtuse dummies.

I remember him basically critiquing Obama from the left in that interview.

There's class politics throughout his songs. He put out an album called Moody, Standard, and Poor after the 2008 financial crisis.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:19 am

Andrew. wrote:I haven't re-listened. But from my memory, I don't get what anyone is talking about. I remember him critiquing the ACA as the shitty neoliberal, private-insurance compromise it is. Guess I need to re-listen. Froberg is not a conservative. I think that's just liberals misinterpreting his leftism (however inchoate its is) because liberals are obtuse dummies.

There's class politics throughout his songs. He put out an album called Moody, Standard, and Poor after the 2008 financial crisis.

Unless you're talking strictly in terms of "Liberals" being the folks in the video, this feels kinda "Six" vs. "Half A Dozen".
numberthirty

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Andrew. wrote:I haven't re-listened. But from my memory, I don't get what anyone is talking about. I remember him critiquing the ACA as the shitty neoliberal, private-insurance compromise it is. Guess I need to re-listen. Froberg is not a conservative. I think that's just liberals misinterpreting his leftism (however inchoate its is) because liberals are obtuse dummies.

I don’t think it was a big deal, either. He also went on about the ridiculous tax code and how people just get somebody who knows what they’re doing to keep from paying it.

I agree that there are plenty of people who think a critique of liberalism always comes from conservative angles. You can look back and watch people grow out of that on this very forum, starting in the first few pages of the ‘Problem With Liberalism’ thread.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby blackmarket on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:57 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:

I don’t think it was a big deal, either. He also went on about the ridiculous tax code and how people just get somebody who knows what they’re doing to keep from paying it.

I agree that there are plenty of people who think a critique of liberalism always comes from conservative angles. You can look back and watch people grow out of that on this very forum, starting in the first few pages of the ‘Problem With Liberalism’ thread.

Often, this is the result of a uniquely (U.S.) American idea that liberalism is the Left. I can't fully blame them. It's pretty much all they know. A meaningful Left power structure does not exist in this country, and the choices people have are mostly Right and center-Right.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Andrew. wrote:Always thought Froberg was kind of an underrated lyricist.

I think Rick underrates himself as a lyricist, to the point of saying his own lyrics aren't great and shying away from printing them in some cases. Vish got a few good explanations out of him in the recent interview, and yeah, it makes lyrics like "Death of a Sportsman" even more enjoyable.

J. Burns wrote:It's funny, when the interview came out and made the rounds initially, people were saying "oh, man, it's such a bummer that Rick is conservative!"

Wonder if those people made it to the part where he says libertarians are fucking insane. My guess is he strongly favors universal health care and thought ACA didn't go nearly far enough.

On another note, his voice is completely thrashed in those live clips, bordering on metal. Pretty funny.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 pm

He has some witty songs, and I like how he writes for his own voice. That is, I don't think those songs could be covered, sung by someone else, and sound good at all. Well, maybe "US Mint." But even the funny verse in "Luau" isn't anything special when I read it, as opposed to hearing him sing it. On the whole I wouldn't rate him as a lyricist. He's probably embarrassed about "Paid in cigarettes" because...it's embarrassing.
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Ike on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:22 am

I'm not sure if you're who I think you are, GET DOG COSTUMES, but you beat that drum pretty hard a few years ago on FB, and frankly, I have no idea why. There is nothing overtly embarrassing or untoward about that set of lyrics. It's a good song, pretty normal lyrics, nothing offensive about it at all.

If you've got a minute, I'd love to see your explication of this particular set of lyrics. Why, in particular, is it so bad?

If you're not who I think you are, kindly enjoy the weather in TX and please eat some wonderful BBQ in my honor!
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Ike on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 am

And about the above-clip, that bummed me out when I watched it a while. My guess now is he had pounded a few back and was closer to "taking the piss" than "cucks and betas".
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby 154 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:15 am

Ike wrote:And about the above-clip, that bummed me out when I watched it a while. My guess now is he had pounded a few back and was closer to "taking the piss" than "cucks and betas".

I contend that it was just a poorly communicated point, and possibly poking back at the agitating interviewer. The 'both sides are awful' stuff: well.. whatever, it was just 2016 I guess and she was obviously going to win..

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap