Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Current 93

Crap
26%
Not Crap
74%

Total votes : 31

Postby Boombats on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:57 am

All that anal sex magick coil golden dawn crowley chaos stuff gets a nod, at least the early stuff.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Re: Band: Current 93

Postby Ernest on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:32 pm

I was listening to a lot of prog and RIO bands for the past couple of hours, and all of a sudden, I felt like playing Current 93. Odd.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Nina on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10 pm

So not crap.

Bright Yellow Moon and Purtle are two of the most amazing things ever.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby somniferum on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:17 am

Not Crap, one of my favorites (especially the albums featuring Michael Cashmore on guitar).

So, since we are talking C93, for those of you that have the new album, what is your opinion of it? I was pretty dissapointed with it, although maybe I need to let it germinate for awhile before going back to it. Props to Tibet & co. for trying something different, but I guess for me, I was let down because I had different expectations for it. I haven't really found the proper time to listen to it either, unlike most of the rest of C93's recent output, it does not make for good late night listening. There are some nice moments on the album, but it seems like each time a particular track has built to a blissful, or creepy place, you (the listener) are jolted out of place by the jarring distorted guitars and drums that would be right at home in a psych band (of the more straightforward garage rock variety). I guess I just don't like distorted guitars in C93's music. They somehow seem out of place to me.
"Name calling is the last refuge of the out argued."

www.myspace.com/somniferumky
www.myspace.com/wurmkraut
somniferum
hemingway
hemingway

Postby bobbyscript on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:42 pm

I consider myself pretty open to various types of music... unless that music is black metal or world serpent/martial industrial
bobbyscript
pope
pope

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Spooky nuts like Tibet make The Bible interesting and magical for me. Much respect.

bobbyscript wrote:world serpent/martial industrial

Wat?
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby countwatula on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Twilight Sparkle wrote:Spooky nuts like Tibet make The Bible interesting and magical for me. Much respect.

bobbyscript wrote:world serpent/martial industrial

Wat?

Basically a bunch of British goths
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

Postby Plastic Eggs on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:06 am

Dave Tibet and co. are not crap on the whole, but I must say that I greatly prefer Death in June when it comes "Neofolk."
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby countwatula on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Plastic Eggs wrote:Dave Tibet and co. are not crap on the whole, but I must say that I greatly prefer Death in June when it comes "Neofolk."

This. I'll go a step further and say DiJ's 80s post-punk/new wave oriented stuff (before anyone started calling them neofolk) is the best. Douglas hadn't yet resigned himself to three chords per song.
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

Postby zom-zom on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 am

I really like most of the World Serpent stuff, Current 93 has some great music.

Death in June is classic as is Sol Invictus. If you check out the set Thunderbolt Pagoda did at the PRF BBQ, the second song is our interpretation of a Sol Invictus tune, Black Easter.

Tony Wakeford has heard it and approves, which is cool.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby SergioGeorgini on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 pm

zom-zom wrote:I really like most of the World Serpent stuff, Current 93 has some great music.

Death in June is classic as is Sol Invictus. If you check out the set Thunderbolt Pagoda did at the PRF BBQ, the second song is our interpretation of a Sol Invictus tune, Black Easter.

Tony Wakeford has heard it and approves, which is cool.

That's awesome.

I like that Above the Ruins mini album he did too. Similar to early DIJ and Joy Division.
Tonight we sleep in seperate ditches.

Marsupialized wrote:If I ever have a child, I want it to be conceived while listening to Caspar Brotzmann. I envision it would grow up to be a famous cannibal murderer.
SergioGeorgini
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby Mama Clortho on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 am

I have experienced beauty in youtube comments. Something about the tone of the music in combination with the comments. Fucking kills me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic_KKMSfufA
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby A Landing Craft on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:24 am

AND LO! I wavereth betwixt NOT CRAP and CRAP regarding thy opinionated dithering upon Current 93 on this hallowed Earth!

David Tibet looking like Jasper Carrott = NOT CRAP
The ATP show I saw with Andrew WK and Baby Dee = NOT CRAP
Associated with alleged racist and professional Captain Mainwaring lookalike Douglas P = CRAP
Associated with the lovely Rose McDowall and Steven Stapleton = NOT CRAP
Associated with the much missed Jhon and Sleazy = NOT CRAP
Thine melodramatic texts = NOT CRAP in doses

AND REMARK UPON THY MORIBUND INDECISION! IT APPEARS TO BE A NOT CRAP FROM THIS MORTAL BEING!
A Landing Craft
marmoset
marmoset

Postby goatlord on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:55 am

I don't enjoy some of the output of David Tibet, but I really appreciate his way of looking at music, religion and the world. I think that, out of all the industrial diaspora, he is the purest and most honest guy. He might be overdramatic, he might put way too much material out and some of it might be a bit meandering, but he really means it, he makes what he feels must be made and it's fearless about it. He doesn't care about fashions or whatever, he goes forward. I really, really appreciate that. He has made me cry, consider my atheism with the beauty of his music (I'm still not convinced, but man, he makes some good points about it), scared the shit out of me and make me see things with my eyes closed. David Tibet is Not Crap. And he seems to be a pacific weirdo, which is my favorite kind of person.

Also, he is depressing as fuck, and boy do I ever love depressing music.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:02 am

goatlord wrote:he really means it

He does!

In reference to the Black Ships Ate The Sky LP, David Tibet wrote:When people ask me about the second coming, some people think that I’m being ironic or that I’m metaphorically interested in Christ or that I have a weird occult slant on it. My belief is pretty orthodox. People ask “do you believe in a literal second coming of Christ?”, and I do. I see the skies opening and Christ returning on a white horse, and that is how I see it, so I expect that is how it will happen. The skies will open and we will suddenly think that it wasn’t fiction in the bible, as this is reality. At the same time, of course I’m aware that people, many Christians, use metaphors, but I can only speak about what I feel and the black ships coming into the sky is therefore a metaphor and a reality.

I really love his work, mostly in small doses where I obsess over a record of his for a few days before putting it down for a while and going back to something else. This is private music for sure - I would never put something like this on for somebody else. It's not for that.

phpBB [media]

This is one of my favorite songs. It's fucking bizarre. Wonderfully recorded. I love how he's willing to go completely out there. Like he'a completely comfortable with just baring his soul and the workings of his mind for everyone. It's incredibly brave music. Directly references Louis Wain, especially this work:

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Current 93! I am a huge fan of the first two records, and had to own them both on vinyl. For me, anyway, those two albums are the standalone high point of industrial. So fucking good. A quick little story that happened recently. I was finishing up busking(which is what I do for a living ha), when a good friend came by with some dame he'd just met and they wanted to hang out. He said we could go to my place and listen to some "messed up" music. I didn't put anything on and didn't plan to, when the dame said, "where is this messed up music I was promised?" So I obliged and put on Nature Unveiled. A short ways into the record she literally started crying and begged for it to be turned off, no exaggeration ha. So I did of course. But every time I've put it on for anyone they've had a similarly visceral reaction to it, often partly cause few people have ever heard this kind of music before. But even the jaded types seem to get a good kick in the pants ha. I think it speaks to the immense power of that particular record(along with Dogs Blood Rising) that time and time again it evokes such strong reactions from people. In a world where it would seem impossible to shock anyone anymore, that's quite a feat I think. I love music that makes me feel and is strongly emotive.

I think it adds a great deal that David Tibet is actually serious(or was) about being a Gnostic Christian and the apocalypse being imminent and all that. Nature Unveiled sounds infinitely closer to the utter severity of such a thing than all the Christian rock in the world combined, which sounds like it is what it is just cause the people involved happen to be rather dim and impressionable, hardly sounds anymore "Christian" than it does "rock" to me. Generally speaking anyway, I prefer it when people mean and live whatever their gimmick happens to be. I'm instantly interested if that's the case ha. Usually bored and disdainful if its not "for real" in that way, or it hides behind bullshit hipster irony and whatnot, which I come to despise more and more all the time. "Give me passion or fuck off" gam gam always used to say.
SkronkFronkerdale
kukla
kukla

Postby M.H on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm very weary of Tibet these days. As an organiser of occult ideas, he's virtually unparalleled. As an artist... you know, an actual generator of art... well, I'm less than convinced. His worst work is worse than the cruellest parody could ever be.

He could always pick his assistants with great skill, it must be said. And when it works (Earth Covers Earth, Christ And The Pale Queens Mighty In Sorrow, Thunder Perfect Mind, Sleep Has His House), it works to an incredible, uniquely unassailable degree. It goes beyond gothic posing into an idiosyncratic world of pure despair and beauty, far above anything Death In June and Sol Invictus ever managed (as much as it pains me to say it).

Kinda weird to see the early records getting props here, that shit is schlock of the highest order, laughably weak, even by the low standards of the day.

Current 93 are not without their problems, but they get a not crap from me.
M.H
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby Mama Clortho on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

goatlord wrote: he really means it, he makes what he feels must be made and it's fearless about it.

Exactly.

Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre is a perfect album. Black Ships Ate The Sky isn't far behind.

He has a triple album being released this year some time which i am very much looking forward to.

Not really into his earlier stuff, but this is a great quote explaining the whole noddy thing:

I was obsessed with Noddy. I took a load of acid on the top of the house where Rose McDowall was living and I had a vision of Noddy crucified in the sky and it really impressed me… as you would expect. The next day I just went mad for buying Noddy. Before I’d seen him crucified I wasn’t any more interested in him than any other kid who’s read Noddy as a child. I was taking such a huge amount of speed at the time that I had a massive amount of energy so I just started hoovering around and would come back with bin-liners full of anything with Noddy on. Rugs, mugs, jugs, didn’t matter, bought it all, to the extent that I started wandering around London wearing a red Noddy hat with a bell on the end. Which was possibly not a good move to make in terms of fashion…

Mama Clortho

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Totally resubmerged lately, this band keeps giving and giving. Thanks, Current 93!

phpBB [media]
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap