crap/not crap

crap
6%
not crap
94%

Total votes : 152

Re: Film: Blade Runner

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:40 am

I’ve been sitting with this for a few days and watched the final cut of the original last night. I think I might have to give it another viewing. Some of the ideas and themes were quite powerful, like Ks alienation and loneliness. It’s a nice epilogue to the original. I’ll try it again.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:07 pm

scntfc wrote:i haven't seen it yet but i'm giving the score a listen and am pleasantly surprised.
i assumed the replacement of johansson was to go in a more action oriented direction,
but the zimmer/wallfisch score is all about pads and textures. good shit.

Bummed they took Johann Johannson off the project.
tmoneygetpaid
marshall
marshall

Postby joelb on Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I watched the Final Cut last night in prep for seeing the new one later this week. Been a while.

It is still great but I've changed. I used to think of Deckard as this semi-hero with a bad job that had to get done. In the movie he goes to work under threat of losing his social status, kills beings he knows are sentient and sexually assaults someone. He is kind of an awful guy, which maybe is the point. I haven't watched the narration version in forever but I'm guessing it tries to make him more sympathetic, which would totally contradict his behavior.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 am

He’s an anti hero. PKDs protagonists are almost always normal schlubs with average intelligence. His character in the book is even more shallow, concerned with nothing but how his neighbors perceive him. Since this film is noir the anti hero is a perfect protagonist. Not defending his actions just saying that he’s an archetype for this type of story and that’s part of why the film works as well as it does. If he was some Hollywood superhero it wouldn’t work. This way you know he’s flawed and capable of failure and any success he has is dumb luck.

His actions towards replicants are actually somewhat redeemed in this new film. He’s still a flawed schlub but he’s paid for his sins.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby numberthirty on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

On the "Replicant Or Not.." angle, it occurred to me that in addition to almost making the jump Roy makes Deckard also climbs up the side of a building right after Roy breaks two of his fingers.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby enframed on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm

I liked 2049 except for one thing: the music was too prominent in the mix, and more dramatic than the general vibe of the film. It looked great, everyone was fine in it, story is good, nice social/psychological commentary and ideas throughout. Kinda bummed they left it open ended and may lead to more than one more...but I'll probably see them, too. Sounds like they are building up to a revolution/war film.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby enframed on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Last edited by enframed on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby Podge9 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:07 am

Disappointed by 2049.
Looked great but that was pretty much a given. Cast were pretty good (apart from Robin Wright who was a touch hammy). Jared Leto wasn't too bad but his character is irritating as hell.

The whole film falls down though cos the story is weak and straightforward. There was very little drama, or intrigue or mystery, nothing to hook me. The running time was not at all merited and I found myself a little bored at times.
Podge9
bear
bear

Postby Gramsci on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 am

Probably one of the only film that retrospectively improves the original film.

I thought it was a flawed masterpiece that took the things that were good about the first film and improves on them. The plot also gives the Bladerunner 2019 more weight as it provides motivation for the characters that didn't exist.

Ford's acting was a standout in terms of the characters. Probably the best hour of him on screen since Witness. Ford has alway been a little wasted as an actor, he's clearly charismatic but rarely has chosen roles that give him any emotional breadth.

Gosling works really well as a Replicant with a limited emotional range, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a reflection on his acting ability.

Robin Wright should have been given more to do, she was great.

I'll go and see it again.

Red Letter Media's review is spot on

phpBB [media]
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Original Blade Runner had an excellent story in the final cut version, with plenty of content. Yeah it's slow, but so is Black Sabbath.

Deckard follows in a fine tradition of hapless detectives who end up achieving nothing more than having their heads fucked with. See also: Chinatown, or a personal favourite of mine, The Ruined Map.

Tyrell said their lives can't be extended, because their lives can't fuckin' be extended. It's probably not even possible to build a replicant that lasts longer than 4 years; they probably crap out like a Mitsubishi after that long. Sean Young was going to die after 4 years and Deckard was most likely built around the same time and switched on for this mission (a field test for the new replicant type) so also was due to live for 4 more years. Kind of the point, isn't it. "Too bad she won't live, but who does?"

Gaff letting them escape at the end and leaving Deckard that clue to his true identity was his act of kindness to them. Gaff was likely the first person Deckard met after he was switched on and he was probably more emotionally affected by the experience than he let on.

There's plenty going on there and if these guys find the story to be predictable it's probably just because it's such a well-known film.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am

Gramsci wrote:Bladerunner 2019

Don't do that.

It looked great, but I can't say I managed to solve the real mystery of the film (other than why the fuck Deckard now shops at River Island)- what was the point of it?

Ultimately, it was a hollow exercise. I think I preferred the point and click game, to be honest.
Last edited by Tommy Alpha on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am

Other mysteries-
What happened to Gaff's accent and does he now own a multinational fried chicken chain?
Tommy Alpha

Postby Gramsci on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:03 am

clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby andteater on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am

I felt it moved slowly to begin with, found myself wondering what the point was. However, it certainly picked up and I ended up loving it. A few clever tricks that will require me to view again. Not sure why anyone would complain about the score or the volume of nut shattering bass, but then again this forum is filled with rock musicians asking people to turn down, so it shouldn't surprise me.

andyk
andteater
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby pb183max on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 am

Gramsci wrote:Ford's acting was a standout in terms of the characters. Probably the best hour of him on screen since Witness. Ford has alway been a little wasted as an actor, he's clearly charismatic but rarely has chosen roles that give him any emotional breadth.

I finally got myself to a late screening last night, thought it was incredible.

I have copied this quote to give shout out to Harrison Ford's performance in 2015's The Age of Adaline; the film itself is charming if not a bit twee in places but Ford has a really nice supporting role and it is interesting to see him in something where he is not front and centre.
pb183max
judge
judge

Postby Me Again on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 am

Nursing a cold and feeling antsy, I decided to watch this in the middle of the night. Of the different takes provided thus far, I think this one corresponds most to my own impression:

Podge9 wrote:Disappointed by 2049.
Looked great but that was pretty much a given. Cast were pretty good (apart from Robin Wright who was a touch hammy). Jared Leto wasn't too bad but his character is irritating as hell.

The whole film falls down though cos the story is weak and straightforward. There was very little drama, or intrigue or mystery, nothing to hook me. The running time was not at all merited and I found myself a little bored at times.

I too thought Robin Wright seemed uncharacteristically awkward, at least at first. But Leto's acting was genuinely bad, almost wooden and pretentious to the point of being distracting...whatever he was going for I don't think it worked.

The score felt more and more pedestrian as the film wore on, especially the incessant unchanging synth washes.

Plot-wise it wasn't a terrible progression and I think Blade Runner 2049 is pretty okay by mainstream blockbuster movie standards, but the script definitely could have used more wit in places, and in general it's kind of a drab and depressing movie, thematically speaking. The original Blade Runner leaves the viewer with a much better feeling.

Dunno...feel kind of in the middle, could understand why someone would like it or not like it.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
matt damon
matt damon

Postby joelb on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:38 pm

I saw this three times in a movie theater. I could watch it again right now.

Not because it is all-out great, though it is pretty great. I just felt drawn to see and hear it over and over again.

Jared Leto's scenes could be eliminated without losing anything, as could Colonel Sanders, and it would be that much better. Every actor who wasn't one of these people was tops, and it wasn't really Olmos's fault.
DrAwkward wrote:If SKID ROW likes them enough to take them on tour, they must have something going on, right?
joelb
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Facundo on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

Crap.

Good FX, bad actors, expensive ad.
I live happier in this future by that miracle
Facundo
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Gramsci on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Did anyone else notice the weird cadence of Leto’s speech patterns? It has this ever so slight “Stephen Hawking” quality to it.

I actually liked the Leto scenes, they provide an effective mix of motivation and dread. I suspect if there were a third film he’d be revealed as a replicant. Possibly one of Tyrel’s final creations, hence the drive to create a replicant that can sexually reproduce, jealousy of Rachel...

File that under probable bullshit
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby strangeone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm

Podge9 wrote:Disappointed by 2049.

I'll have to second that, and boring because it was way too long and slow - everything K did aside from the action scenes was slow - slow walk, slow up the stairs, slow open the door fuckin' slow everything. Music was way too dramatic given the context. They could have cut 30-40 minutes easy. No wonder it flopped.
strangeone
viceroy
viceroy

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap