crap/not crap

crap
6%
not crap
94%

Total votes : 152

Re: Film: Blade Runner

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 pm

scntfc wrote:honestly the person whose input i worry about the most is Ridley Scott's.

jimmy two hands wrote:Somehow I missed this one back in December.
numberthirty wrote:It occurred to me that Ridley Scott turned into the thinking man's Rob Zombie right around Prometheus.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:24 am

Johan Johansson is terribly overrated, the equivalent of listening to paint dry. Like NPR minimalism and actually very similar to the most sparse moments of a Hans Zimmer score. I'm not at big HZ fan but the guy can program a synth like few others (especially U-he Zebra2) and he has basically been gearing up to score a Blade Runner sequel since the beginning. If you listen to the end credits of Blade Runner and cross it with a cheeky Morricone impression, there you go. He (and maybe Harrison Ford) will probably be the best thing about the film by far.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Defender on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:29 am

npr minimalism?! like tangerine dream, riley, schultze? (this is actually some minimalism ive heard on npr)
god is a gentleman. he prefers blondes.
Defender
star
star

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:33 am

Ha, ok. I'm not sure why I said that. I think I meant KMart or something.
givemenoughrope

Postby Model Citizen on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Shame about Johansson's score apparently not being used but shit the reviews for this are really positive from what I've seen. Really didn't expect that.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby bogusaurus on Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 pm

The new film looks amazing. Stoked to see it. Don't care what happens in it as long as it looks like those trailers and has some approximation of the original's score and mood.
bogusaurus
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby enframed on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 pm

bogusaurus wrote:The new film looks amazing. Stoked to see it. Don't care what happens in it as long as it looks like those trailers and has some approximation of the original's score and mood.

That's pretty much where I stand as well.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 pm

I see Peter Bradshaw gave it five stars but I wouldn't trust Peter Bradshaw to tell me what day it is.

Actually at this point I'm not sure who I would trust to call this one. The balance of PRF opinion is more reliable than most...
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 am

2049 was great. Not a masterpiece or as iconic as the original but it was stunning to look at and it sounded incredible for the most part. Definitely watch it in a theatre with a good sound system.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
coke dealer
coke dealer

Postby andyman on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:35 am

That doesn't surprise me at all. All of Villeneuve's films are like that, impressive but kind of forgettable.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:27 am

I wouldn't say it's forgettable. I'd say the weakest part of this one was the same as the original: the story. Not to say it's a bad story or anything, I actually quite liked it, but it's just nothing really unique. The set pieces and some of the sequences were really outstanding though, I'm definitely seeing it again just for those things.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
coke dealer
coke dealer

Postby Me Again on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:43 pm

It'll probably make a killing this weekend.

At the very least I hope it's a better piece of art than this:
phpBB [media]
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
matt damon
matt damon

Postby bishopdante on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:23 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:I'm not at big HZ fan but the guy can program a synth like few others

Two things...

#1 Hollywood soundtrack composers if they have any sense run stables, they don't do everything as one artist, writing out sheet music at a piano, and were anybody to try that, the job would kill 'em. It works much like the studio of a renaissance painter: loads of the work is done by apprentices and hired workmen under the direction of the named person. It would be clearer if everybody got credited, like a band. Zimmer graduated out of Trevor Horn's session-musician underworld, and was trained by Stanley Myers doing advertising jingles.

150 feature films... considering that most composers only penned as many symphonies as there are fingers on hands, there is a lot to be said for technology and teamwork, but there should be no doubt that what you're hearing on any particular day is Zimmer & Co - and not that there is anything wrong with that.

#2 the money-is-no-object studio he built has an all-analogue modular synthesiser that probably requires several full-time staff to maintain and operate.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/petergorg ... hotostream

The synth modules making up that wall probably cost more than all the gear in most professional broadcast radio studios, let alone project studios, excluding the staffing cost to make it all fully-recallable and never break down.

Oldschool modular synths are everything they are claimed to be. Prohibitively expensive and large, a nightmare to wire up, and "analogue is better" great-sounding. In terms of unobtainable and impractical electronic equipment that does esoteric and magical sound-warping, there are many mythical pieces of gear that are fabled to produce sounds that nothing else can make. In most cases this is untrue, the difference in quality is exaggerated... but in the case of top-end synth modules, there is a profound difference.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm

It was as gorgeous and as unnecessary as I expected. Will not be seeing it again.

CRAP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:32 pm

bishopdante wrote:#2 the money-is-no-object studio he built has an all-analogue modular synthesiser that probably requires several full-time staff to maintain and operate.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/petergorg ... hotostream

The guy down the hall from us used to be (one of his) full-time synth techs. (Last time I was there he had an ARP 2600 and an early wavetable synth but the name of it escapes me atm...used on the score for To Live and Die in LA...both for HZ underling Junkie XL.) He said he was so sick of driving over to his place, plus it was dangerous to have to rely mostly on one client. Anyway, I asked him about that wall, maintaining it, etc. Wasn't there a ton of heat generated? of course there was bc they are built into the wall! and it's mostly for show anyway. HZ is quoted as saying that 90some% of Inception's synths are U-he Zebra2 (obviously, it's all about doing 50 versions of a cue with complete recall on everything, impossible with modular). It really is capable of some fantastic sounds and has probably the best sound engine I've heard yet...leagues better than anything Native Instruments has put out (although they have improved). I'm still getting my head around it a couple years after buying it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rBMb2oijyo

I have no beef with Chris Nolan films/HZ's tentpole scores, especially the newer synth-heavy ones. He makes scores for popcorn films and has no illusions that he doesn't and really all things considered does some pretty daring things; also he is a notorious hc workaholic, growing a beard and tweaking things until 3am according to assistants. He also posts on a synth/production and give pretty good tips regarding synths, compression, reamping, etc. Villeneuve/Johannson are kind of annoying since there is this air that they are making heady, artful films/music, inventing the wheel and not just mining things...but honestly, they fall short to me and I prefer the former. A Nolan BR would have been fine by me but I'd much prefer if they had hired someone younger and crazier like the guys who directed Green Room or Good Time or something.
givemenoughrope

Postby givemenoughrope on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:07 am

I feel like I just binged watched four episodes of a Blade Runner-esque tv show. Some ok moments but fairly lackluster like all of DV's films.

And if that really is a CS-80...they should have saved their money and used U-he Zebra and Diva like the rest of the score.
givemenoughrope

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:14 am

One of the less imaginative BR fan vids.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby catwoman on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:36 am

Saw it last night.
Not familiar w/ the original BladeRunner, so I was glad for the little intro-backstory-blurb thing in the beginning.

Interesting to look at. Some parts really dragged for me. Lot of characters brought in, and then left undeveloped. Not sure if the theater had the volume turned up to 11, but I had to put my fingers in my ears for some of it. I left kind of confused.
catwoman
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby scntfc on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:36 pm

i haven't seen it yet but i'm giving the score a listen and am pleasantly surprised.
i assumed the replacement of johansson was to go in a more action oriented direction,
but the zimmer/wallfisch score is all about pads and textures. good shit.

givemenoughrope wrote:...like the guys who directed Green Room or Good Time or something.

jeremy sualnier is on board to direct the next season of true detective. seems like a perfect fit.
scntfc

Postby warmowski on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:57 am

All respect to persons who score for a living. That said, this thing felt like six hours of kicking my ears in. On a 7.1 system I know to be tuned. Stop with the stabby subs, Jesus.

Script felt weak, telegraph-y and long, but goddamn, every visual aspect was so so good. Will watch again for sure. It's probably a classic.

-r
warmowski
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap