UFC

Crap
59%
Not Crap
41%

Total votes : 69

Re: UFC

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Sweaty, ugly sacks of meat grappling with each other in a cage?

No thanks.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby steve on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Couple of Chris Cyborg training videos where a dude tries unsuccessfully to follow her workout. Second one he pukes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX8zB07d4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kejlh7-Adc

I have no respect for fighting, but this woman is in incredible condition.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I have never been too interested but my wife is big time into martial arts and follows all this stuff. She's mainly into the female MMA stuff and she has decided that she wants to get into doing it.
Knowing my wife, dating/banging/married to her for over a decade now, when she decides she is going to do something, no matter what it is or how outlandish or crazy it sounds, she's going to do it. This should be terrifying on every level.
There's a chick she loves named Chris Cyborg or something who's a bad motherfucker, no doubt.

Watching the chicks, there's no reason at all they should not be fighting the dudes. Should be inter-gender. This chick would wail on most of the dudes I have seen doing it.

Also, the Brock fight, I am surprised it was not stopped when Brock was lying on his back just taking punch after punch to the face without fighting back.
I am no expert and the ref knows what's he's doing but it was brutal right there, brain damage stuff it seemed to me.

Chris Cyborg is totally dominant. They're gonna have to let her fight men before long.

I thought they were gonna stop the Brock fight too, but I guess they are saying a lot of the shots were hitting his forearms. Still, he was doing nothing but laying there, hoping to get through it. Not trying to punch out of there or anything that a more seasoned fighter would have been doing. The truth of it is, Brock has like 5 fights under his belt and he's not been tested like that before. Carwin totally punched himself out and ran out of gas and had zero energy in the second round. Brock took him down so easily. They'll fight again.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Also, please keep me posted about Marie's progress! Tell her I wish her the best of luck!

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Surfrider on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Also, the Brock fight, I am surprised it was not stopped when Brock was lying on his back just taking punch after punch to the face without fighting back.
I am no expert and the ref knows what's he's doing but it was brutal right there, brain damage stuff it seemed to me.

I was thinking the same thing, but i rewatched the fight and the vast majority of Carwin's punches were either firing off the mark or being blocked. I thought it was good reffing really, and because of that it became the kind of fight that i like MMA for. Guy gets kind of pummelled but somehow manages to keep his wits about him. Guy dishing out the pummelling doesn't have what it takes to put the other guy away and gets shit tired. Previously pummelled guy turns it around and gets the victory.

UFC 115 and 116 have been 2 really good back to back cards. I think 117 will be interesting as well.

Anyone that likes them some MMA, if you haven't already seen it then track down WEC 48. Well, the prelims at least. Leonard Garcia -vs- Chan Sung "the Korean Zombie" Jung is possibly the greatest MMA fight in the (very short) history of the sport.

I love MMA.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:28 pm

It seemed to me like he gave up and was just waiting for the ref to call it. If dude did not punch himself out and came at him hard in round two, Brock would not have stood a chance. He's lucky as fuck he was able to get on top of him and get him in that choke.

Brock did show class after the fight, I was assuming he'd be all like 'I am a bad motherfucker!' but he was humble.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Surfrider wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Also, the Brock fight, I am surprised it was not stopped when Brock was lying on his back just taking punch after punch to the face without fighting back.

I was thinking the same thing, but i rewatched the fight and the vast majority of Carwin's punches were either firing off the mark or being blocked. I thought it was good reffing really, and because of that it became the kind of fight that i like MMA for. Guy gets kind of pummelled but somehow manages to keep his wits about him. Guy dishing out the pummelling doesn't have what it takes to put the other guy away and gets shit tired. Previously pummelled guy turns it around and gets the victory.

UFC 115 and 116 have been 2 really good back to back cards. I think 117 will be interesting as well.

Anyone that likes them some MMA, if you haven't already seen it then track down WEC 48. Well, the prelims at least. Leonard Garcia -vs- Chan Sung "the Korean Zombie" Jung is possibly the greatest MMA fight in the (very short) history of the sport.

I love MMA.

Yes, WEC is where it's at. The 145 and 135 pounders are so fast and well trained. They can't rely on brute strength the way the bigger dudes do.
Did you watch Leonard Garcia vs. Roger Huerta a couple years ago, when Leonard was in the UFC? Was a war.

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re:

Postby jeff_fox on Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:16 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Doesn't anyone else think this is just a tad homoerotic?

No. Not one bit. Total fucking crap, WF 0.000000. If it were at all homoerotic it would be crap WF 0.0000001.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby vockins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:43 pm

It's crap.

The Lesnar/Corwin fight was gross. It might as well have been a bear and mountain lion. Akiyama/Leben was a total mess. Sosynski/Bonnar was the same thing. Reljic/Grove was the best fight of the night to me, and even that one was sloppy.

There's rarely "art" in UFC to me. It's like the Max Hardcore of martial arts. If it gets your dick hard to see some meathead get a elbow to his temple 900 times and come back to choke someone out, well, enjoy yourself. Even Pride seems more professional. I prefer K-1 and boxing.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 pm

vockins wrote:. Even Pride seems more professional.

What the fuck are you talking about. Pride (now defunct) allowed competitors to fucking stomp on the face of a downed opponent. Also allowed knee strikes to the head of a downed opponent. Everything else is the same as UFC rules. Many of the UFC fighters came from Pride. Your comment, it is the proverbial clown shoes.

And the Leben/Akiyama fight was the best fight of the year so far. No quit in either of those guys.

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:59 pm

I watched PRIDE quite a lot when it was around. I'll start watching UFC when they bring Fedor on over to destroy every Heavy Weight they've got contracted.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Trey on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:04 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:I watched PRIDE quite a lot when it was around. I'll start watching UFC when they bring Fedor on over to destroy every Heavy Weight they've got contracted.

Fedor was offered the largest contract in UFC history, and he turned it down. And you do realize, he was beaten last week by a guy who was in the UFC and got beaten by non-title holders?

I used to like Fedor too, but he is scared of being in the UFC. He hasn't fought anyone relevant in 4 or 5 years.

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 am

Trey wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:I watched PRIDE quite a lot when it was around. I'll start watching UFC when they bring Fedor on over to destroy every Heavy Weight they've got contracted.

Fedor was offered the largest contract in UFC history, and he turned it down. And you do realize, he was beaten last week by a guy who was in the UFC and got beaten by non-title holders?

I used to like Fedor too, but he is scared of being in the UFC. He hasn't fought anyone relevant in 4 or 5 years.

No shit? That's depressing as fuck. Fedor is one of my favorite fighters. I'm gonna have to look up that fight of him getting his ass kicked on youtube. For a while there I remember he was undefeated except for a fight where the judges wouldn't let him to continue fighting with his eye lid bleeding. That was some bullshit. As far as I'm concerned that particular fight doesn't exist on his record.

He's probably watching what's happening to Crocop right now. That dude has seen better days too.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby wellsyuk on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:25 am

The verbal advertising schpeel is just horrible - I'm not used to that. You get it from Bruce Buffer and even the commentators too? Brought to you by... argh Noo..
And the fighters are forced to wear sponsored stuff the moment they stop fighting.. just cheap..
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Surfrider on Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 am

wellsyuk wrote:The verbal advertising schpeel is just horrible - I'm not used to that. You get it from Bruce Buffer and even the commentators too? Brought to you by... argh Noo..
And the fighters are forced to wear sponsored stuff the moment they stop fighting.. just cheap..

I completely agree. I'm not used to that sort of thing either, and i find it gross. It especially annoys me when Mike Goldberg is saying some shit like "tonight's fight clock is brought to you by Bud Light - THE DIFFERENCE IS DRINKABILITY!", while someone is in the middle of securing a submission or throwing a head kick. I know it's not his fault because he is forced to do it, but surely just having the logos all over the place/popping up on screen with the fight clock/fighter stats etc is enough non?

The sport of MMA is still in its infancy so at least improvements are being made all the time. I have been following it since the beginning and it has been interesting to see the way it has evolved. I think if someone was to argue that in the early days it was a pretty savage spectacle and all that, i would be inclined to agree. It was a bit of a freakshow. I think i mainly started watching it out of pure shock and somehow got hooked.

These days though, i find it much more difficult to watch boxing or K1. People being blasted in the same 2 or 3 spots repeatedly makes me whince a lot more than seeing guys go at it, attacking all over the place in as many different ways as possible. Yeah, it can mean that it's pretty devastating sometimes, but the overall longlasting damage caused is far less in MMA than it is in other combat sports.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Trey on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:10 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
No shit? That's depressing as fuck. Fedor is one of my favorite fighters. I'm gonna have to look up that fight of him getting his ass kicked on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbFPM6yQtc

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby vockins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 am

Trey wrote:
vockins wrote:. Even Pride seems more professional.

What the fuck are you talking about. Pride (now defunct) allowed competitors to fucking stomp on the face of a downed opponent. Also allowed knee strikes to the head of a downed opponent. Everything else is the same as UFC rules. Many of the UFC fighters came from Pride. Your comment, it is the proverbial clown shoes.
The fighters seemed generally more prepared and more skilled.

And the Leben/Akiyama fight was the best fight of the year so far. No quit in either of those guys.
I can see that any night of the week a block and a half from my apartment. Two dudes "not quitting" and plowing each other in the face for five minutes is not sport to me.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Trey on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:00 am

vockins wrote:
The fighters seemed generally more prepared and more skilled.

I can see that any night of the week a block and a half from my apartment. Two dudes "not quitting" and plowing each other in the face for five minutes is not sport to me.[/quote]

The Pride fighters weren't more prepared and skilled. Many of them basically went back and forth between Pride and UFC, depending on where they could get the most money at the time. Plus, Pride did not check for steroids, so basically all of their fighters were juiced. Almost all the best Pride fighters came to UFC after Pride folded, and while they remain contenders, they've all been beaten by UFC guys. Anderson Silva is the exception to this, I will have to think if there are others.

Yes, Leben and Akiyama was a brawl. But both guys have mad skills. Sometimes, one guy's skills cancel the other guy's, and they just dig in and get after it. It is "fighting", and if someone doesn't have the stomach for watching it, that's understandable. But those guys are in there to win, and they want to do it in the most exciting fashion possible. A boring but undefeated fighter doesn't get many fans, and therefore doesn't get to fight on the bigger cards very much.

Here's probably the most famous Pride fight ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90YcgwA ... re=related

Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Re:

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:59 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Doesn't anyone else think this is just a tad homoerotic?

No. Not one bit. Total fucking crap, WF 0.000000. If it were at all homoerotic it would be crap WF 0.0000001.

Fair enough. You would know better than I would, after all.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby gjp on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:03 pm

"We all goin' to TJ chumps to watch da fight after the gym bro."

I'll never see the appeal of this sort of macho bullshit.

This and it's fans are up there on my Reasons to Move into the Woods, and Then Never Leave the Woods list.

Crap.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap