Crap
59%
Not Crap
41%

Total votes : 69

Re: UFC

Postby Surfrider on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:26 pm

qrj wrote:"We all goin' to TJ chumps to watch da fight after the gym bro."

I'll never see the appeal to this sort of macho bullshit.

This and it's fans are up there on my Reasons to Move into the Woods, and Then Never Leave the Woods list.

Crap.

Yeah, that's pretty awful. And sadly, is a pretty accurate summing up of 75% of the fans. There are plenty of non offensive people in to MMA though. It's a shame that a lot of the associations and promotional aspects of the largest MMA brand (UFC) will keep so many people at a distance, and i really do see why so many people would be put off by this.

Luckily for me, i have very little difficulty in separating the shitty aspects of the UFC from the non shitty aspects of MMA. One of my favourite things is that the macho dumbass fighters very, very rarely manage to actually be very good at MMA, so they usually have a short or unimportant career in the sport. I'd say around 80-90% of the elite fighters all come across as really decent and intelligent folk.

Also, i actually like commentator Joe Rogan, which i'm sure is the opposite to most people. With regards to MMA, he definitely knows what he's talking about. Not long ago there was a superb fight that was basically a lot of submission attempts going back and forth, so the goons in the crowd were booing because they weren't being given a bloodbath stand-up war. Whilst interviewing the fighters inside the octagon after the fight, the crowd were booing again. Joe Rogan got visibly agitated and annoyed, so he adressed the audience about their booing and how stupid they were and that they were an embarrassment. I thought that was pretty cool of him. He didn't need to do that. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he actually got a bollocking for it.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby buzzsaw on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

bro brogan.
I am not sure, but I think everyone at my gym is in the UFC. I always see some clown show doing incline situps and punching the air.
.....Either that, or I work out at a department store that sells Underarmor and Tapout clothes.......
I wonder how many barfights have sloppy drunken submission attempts these days.
Unbelievably Friendly Cuddling.
Yarbage
edit: I had to hit "submit" to post this. I lose.
Last edited by buzzsaw on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
buzzsaw
princess di
princess di

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:29 am

Trey wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
No shit? That's depressing as fuck. Fedor is one of my favorite fighters. I'm gonna have to look up that fight of him getting his ass kicked on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCbFPM6yQtc

Man that shit was weak. I was expecting Fedor to get his ass handed to him. As far as I can see, dude just made one of two choices:

1. Threw the fight for millions.

2. Underestimated his opponent and made the smallest of mistakes. But don't get me wrong, If Fabricio won this legitimately, then huge props to him for giving Fedor his first loss. But I just refuse to believe it'll be that easy for ANY heavyweight to take down Fedor again. I have a gut feeling Emilianenko will not be down in the dumps about this weak ass loss. Dude's a hard up Russian. I've got faith in him.

I really wish he'd except that contract so he can finally school some UFC heavy weights. When it comes to the ring though, I appreciated PRIDE's set up more, I gotta say.

The cage can and will (as proven in the fundemtal sport of fighting) give advantages where advantages shouldn't be. I like the idea of two humans fighting on an endless plateau, like how the rules were set up in PRIDE.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Trey on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Bump. Fedor is fighting tomorrow night in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Gran Prix. It's free if you have Showtime. Fedor is arguably the greatest fighter ever in the sport, but he's getting older. A huge upset is possible.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby mazacultura on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:20 am

Trey wrote:Bump. Fedor is fighting tomorrow night in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Gran Prix. It's free if you have Showtime. Fedor is arguably the greatest fighter ever in the sport, but he's getting older. A huge upset is possible.

I think he's got Silva's number. Silva barely survived his last fight, and that was against a smaller and much less skilled fighter than Fedor.

It'll be interesting to see how this tournament progesses through the year, especially considering Fedor's batshit-insane management.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby mazacultura on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:39 am

Well, shut my mouth.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Trey on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 pm

mazacultura wrote:Well, shut my mouth.

Man, I didn't want my hunch to be correct. That was rough.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm

...watchin' two grown-mens, covered in tattoos, sweats, and bodily fluids, graspin' fo' each others slippery limbs and appendages as dey use each others strungth to fight fo' domination...I just got three words: de, lish, us, I'm thru.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby flyinghouses on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Crap, with a factor for providing entertainment when going with a friend to a bar where they are playing a match and getting to see some of the blockheads that are seriously into it
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Dovey on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 pm

buzzsaw wrote:I wonder how many barfights have sloppy drunken submission attempts these days.

It's happening, and it's hilarious
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby whattheyallsay on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:52 pm

Total crap. I'm into martial arts (currently training in Muay Thai), and I find the MMA crowd to be a total turn-off. One of the cool things about being into martial arts back in the day was the lack of stereotypical jocks. That was back in the day.
whattheyallsay

Postby placeholder on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 am

NOT CRAP.

Enjoy the fighting, despise the fans and culture.

Dovey wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:I wonder how many barfights have sloppy drunken submission attempts these days.

It's happening, and it's hilarious

JHC. These two tough guys look like they've never thrown a punch in their lives.

buzzsaw wrote:I had to hit "submit" to post this. I lose.

So great.
placeholder

Postby mazacultura on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Trey wrote:
mazacultura wrote:Well, shut my mouth.

Man, I didn't want my hunch to be correct. That was rough.

Watching two fighters get knocked basically out of relevance in one show was not pretty. I don't know who I stole this line from, but it's a good one: "Fighters never really retire from the sport; the sport retires them."
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby mazacultura on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:39 pm

RSMurphy wrote:Image

...watchin' two grown-mens, covered in tattoos, sweats, and bodily fluids, graspin' fo' each others slippery limbs and appendages as dey use each others strungth to fight fo' domination...I just got three words: de, lish, us, I'm thru.

Well where else would you have us get our hetero-approved homoeroticism? Football? Ugh.
mazacultura
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:04 pm

Don't get me wrong, the thought of two practically-naked men beating the shit out of each other is pretty hot, and for that the sport is not crap. I just felt the thread needed a little commentary...from a male point of view.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby moonman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:03 am

It's interesting reading the comments in this thread about Christiane Santos because you see just how far someone can fall from grace. You'd be hard-pressed to find a new thread on the Internet about her in 2013 that doesn't call her a cheater and a coward for her steroid use and for ducking Ronda Rousey.

Anyway, I voted NOT CRAP to the UFC and to MMA in general for being boxing's safer, more exciting and less corrupt nephew, and for being simply the best and most effective and useful exercise that you can do, period.
moonman
the cheat
the cheat

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 pm

vockins wrote:There's rarely "art" in UFC to me. It's like the Max Hardcore of martial arts.

You're right, because UFC isn't martial arts, it's a sport. I appreciate anyone who is going to do something as difficult as learn a physical discipline like MMA, but it should be called Mixed Martial Ablitiy. There is no art or philosophy to it. Most MMA dudes I've seen in UFC are thuggish and disrespectful, which seems to be celebrated and part of the entertainment.

moonman wrote: and for being simply the best and most effective and useful exercise that you can do, period.

You shouldn't exercise by learning to hurt people if you aren't going to temper that ability with anything mental. Just lift weights and/or run around your neighborhood like a normal person.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby moonman on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Watch Georges St-Pierre fight and tell me that isn't the embodiment of modern martial arts.
Twilight Sparkle wrote:You shouldn't exercise by learning to hurt people if you aren't going to temper that ability with anything mental. Just lift weights and/or run around your neighborhood like a normal person.

This makes no sense.
moonman
the cheat
the cheat

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:27 pm

I watched a video of Georges St-Pierre in a fight with Jay Herion. I like his quick bow and nod to Herion as he was introduced. Seems pretty sportsmanlike (except now after he knocked Herion out, he did a little dance). Guy is a weapon, no doubt about it, certainly trounced the other guy in the ring.

Any embodiment of martial arts, modern (?) or otherwise, would be someone who sought to end a conflict without violence, preferably on amiable terms. Martial arts is a very holistic discipline and ultimately a way of life, so there's a reason I'm being all sementicalerated about it.
In UFC you have to fight the other person, that's why it's a sport. This narrow focus is also why it's not a test of martial arts. I don't know exactly how you'd really test martial arts between two people for and audience.

moonman wrote:
Twilight Sparkle wrote:You shouldn't exercise by learning to hurt people if you aren't going to temper that ability with anything mental. Just lift weights and/or run around your neighborhood like a normal person.

This makes no sense.

Exercise is something you undertake to stay physically healthy. Fighting is something you undertake to dominate. If you are going to learn to dominate other people, it is my belief you should also be learning how to respect other people and learn how to handle yourself during conflict. That's what I'm trying to say, or at least where I am coming from.

Physically, MMA is no more useful than anything else. Like running and weight training.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby cwendeld on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm

I spend 5-6 hours a week at a BJJ academy exercising and learning to hurt people. Rolling regularly is better cardio than the 50 miles/wk or so of utilitarian bike riding that I also do. It is also a time to be social, talk about goofy shit, and not think about work. All in all, I am a much better person for it. I'd also like to think that I am a fairly respectful and "normal" person. I have also done more traditional martial arts which are fine too, but something completely different.
cwendeld
alderman
alderman

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap