Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Sea and Cake

Crap
41%
Not Crap
59%

Total votes : 49

Postby Superking on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:23 pm

Most of their albums sound very similar to each other, yes. But I happen to like their sound. I have been enjoying their latest album as well. They're kind of like aural quaaludes or benzos, nice to listen to while flying in airplanes.

Not Crap, but I could certainly understand why someone would not like them at all.
Angus Jung wrote:Anyway, yeah, women, metal/heavy shit, 2012, everywhere.

The Hero of Love!
Superking
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote: Live they're as dull as their fans.

Crap with a few waffles. They have a nice cover version of "Sound and Vision." Also, They have 3 or 4 songs that are really nice to listen too. other than that, it's all the same boring sound.
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby BadComrade on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:11 pm

One time when I saw them play at Lounge Ax, forum member Mayfair (who played keyboards for The Sea & Cake live) almost kicked some guy in the audience's ass for talking shit about the opening band M, which was Dave Pajo's "solo" project at the time.

That shit cracked me up.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby rocker654 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:48 pm

Never heard of it. Horrible band name, though. Almost as bad as Archers of Loaf.

Gag me with a spoon.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby BadComrade on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:55 pm

The name came from the drummer. He was talking about an album by a band called Gastr Del Sol, which was called "The "C" in Cake", and he thought it was "The Sea and Cake"
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Ace on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:48 am

Their name is awful. just terrible.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:02 am

I guess better C in Cake than P in Cake.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby j_harvey on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:45 pm

BadComrade wrote:One time when I saw them play at Lounge Ax, forum member Mayfair (who played keyboards for The Sea & Cake live) almost kicked some guy in the audience's ass for talking shit about the opening band M, which was Dave Pajo's "solo" project at the time.

That shit cracked me up.

I would love to have seen this. I just can't picture an angry Mayfair, but for some reason I really like the idea.

enframed wrote:i still have that movie soundtrack that john mcentire did for that horrible last john hughes film. that album contains a beautiful TSAC track and i still listen to that but that is all.

That soundtrack is a *must* own. A MUST.
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby cesb on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:37 pm

I like the Sea and Cake. Primarily "The Fawn" but I've liked pretty much everything I've heard.
Mike G. | +@-
cesb
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Location: La Grange. No, La Grange ILLINOIS. No, Evanston, I mean.

Postby kerble on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:44 pm

j_harvey wrote:
enframed wrote:i still have that movie soundtrack that john mcentire did for that horrible last john hughes film. that album contains a beautiful TSAC track and i still listen to that but that is all.

That soundtrack is a *must* own. A MUST.

Reach the Rock also has a good Polvo track and another tasty nugget from D***og**.

in spite of my early ire (which still stands), "Jacking the Ball" is tremendous.

I think the problem is that the vocals are such wishy washy mush. the vocal melodies are good, often beautiful, but they're unintelligible, which sits funny in 'easy listening' type music. I like all the principals as musicians, too. I just think that it doesn't work as well. Besides, the first few Aluminum Group records succeed in ways the Sea and Cake records fail, while having seemingly similar goals. I think the beautiful, well arranged soft-pop song with nice keys and snappy drums works better with bitter, easily discernible vocals.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby j_harvey on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:35 pm

kerble wrote:Reach the Rock also has a good Polvo track and another tasty nugget from D***og**.

Polvo recorded a few other songs for the soundtrack, which didn't get used. I'm assuming they must have released them elsewhere. June of 44 also did a few songs, but for some reason they weren't used in the movie either. I think those songs ended up on Four Great Points. Just some trivia for the next time you are watching "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?".

The Sea and Cake are not crap. I really like Eric Claridge's bass playing and you can not argue with McEntire's drums.
j_harvey
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby BadComrade on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:50 pm

+1 on the Eric Claridge. He's a pretty unique bass player.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby boilermaker on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:01 pm

I can't stand those awful vocals.
Crap!
boilermaker
princess di
princess di

Postby gjhardwick on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:54 am

I only album of theirs that i own is The Fawn but i like it...
gjhardwick
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby simmo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:29 am

Played with them last night. I thought they were pretty good, and certainly better than us. Gentlemen too. Still don't understand why they get such a hard time from some quarters.
simmo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:47 am

simmo wrote:Played with them last night. I thought they were pretty good, and certainly better than us. Gentlemen too. Still don't understand why they get such a hard time from some quarters.

probably because they are so boring
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Peripatetic on Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:54 am

Has anyone attended any of the European shows?

Pitchfork had photos from a Tortoise show last Thursday in LA showing McEntire playing. The Sea and Cake was in Germany that night. Just curious who's playing drums with them.

Anyone know?
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby alex maiolo on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:43 pm

I think they are great. The first few records were OK, but didn't do much for me - pleasant enough, which I suppose is like saying "she's pretty in the face" or "has a great personality."

Then they put out Oui and One Bedroom, which are complimentary records. Personally, I think these two albums combine to make one excellent one, but one their own, they are pretty damn good. I like how both of these records have two opening songs that make a sort of mini suite. I like to hear both songs if I'm hearing one.

Archer's stuff is alright. Sam's is OK. I can't stand Shrimp Boat.
The "super group" element of this band works for me. The sum of the parts, etc.
As stated, the secret weapon in this band is Eric Claridge.
Not enough can be said about John's drumming. One of many Chicago Human Rhythm Machines.
I like that they bring a keyboard player with them on the road, and that they keep it compact. All of the analog gear is great in the studio, but a pain in the ass on the road. Reason+Controller+Stylophone and they sound perfect.

When you try to make indie rock for adults, you risk getting egg on your face. I think they've pulled it off. I enjoy having them on when I'm driving, having a party, or cooking dinner. On the rare ocassion that they come to town (hint hint) my older rock geek pals and I usually get dinner first, and treat the night the way 50 year olds do when they go see Rod Stewart or someone. Dates, wives, drinks afterwards - all that.

So far I like the new record. I think they may have peaked with the two records I mentioned. They refined their "sound," like it or hate it, on those. There has been a slight departure on this new one, but they would have to do something more drastic in the future to shake things up.

I always thought it would be fun to play in that band. They should be proud of what the've done, and the "image" they have.
It's hard to articulate, but some bands, GvsB, for example, get tagged with an image - "sexy hunky style guys" in their case.
For S&C, I think Simmo hit the nail on the head when he used the term "gentlemen," or I might use a word like "class."

Simmo - cool you got to play with them. I'd like to hear some of your stuff.
Mayfair - I had no idea you played keys with them. Are you Max? If so, we met in Chapel Hill.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby tommydski on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:15 pm

Alex, I completely agree with your comments on this band.

Mayfair doesn't post here anymore but he was a gentleman and a scholar. He is also known as Mark Greenberg, formerly of Chicago legends The Coctails. He owns and runs Mayfair Recordings. Such a nice guy, I miss his posts a lot.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby krakabash on Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:20 pm

I love "Jacking the Ball"
krakabash

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap