7%
not crap
81%
it all depends on whether jarboe is on the record
12%

Total votes : 239

Re: band: swans

Postby LBx on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 pm

i guess i missed quite the show. everyone here (in Mtl) and here (EA) seems pretty blown away.
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Agrimes on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:24 am

Oct. 6, Columbus, Oh

Setlist:
(Feedback/Drone/Noise Jam)
No Words, No Thoughts
Your Property
Sex, God, Sex
Jim
(Improv Jam?)
I Crawled
My Birth
Beautiful Child
Eden Prison

(I'm pretty sure that was everything. That's either an improv jam before I Crawled or something I didn't recognize)

Highlights:
- The intro jam started as about 10-15 mins or so of the guitars and bass feeding back and the drums rattling before they even took stage. Christoph plucked some notes on his guitar which looped. Then they all came on and started jamming.

- Michael stomping, pacing, yelling, and arching over backwards as he really got into it.

- Drummers damn near stole the show all on their own. Thor is appropriately named.

- They dug up a lot of old songs. Most sounded different than the studio recordings, even the new songs.

- During "Beautiful Child" Chris' bass head blew so they had to cut the song short. Michael said if they couldn't rig another one up, the show would be over. Thor gave him his amp head and they hooked it all up, but mentioned something about it not being powerful enough. People were trying to mosh during the song and Michael was visibly annoyed (and rightly so). While setting up the bass stuff he said, "Please stop all the stupid-ass moshing. If you wanna do that, go see Green Day." Michael had a stand with lyric sheets and as they finshed each song he would toss it behind him. During this song there were three more sheets, but after the incident he tossed the other two away.

- After the show I met Norman. I told him how well I thought he and everyone else played and how much I enjoyed the performance. He signed my ticket stub and shook my hand. Tried to meet Thor, but some chick was hogging him for herself. I met Michael at the merch booth. He expressed some dissatisfaction at having to end the set a bit early due to the bass problems, but I assured him it was still a great performance and they all pulled through and made the most of it. Told him how much I liked the show, shook his hand, he signed my ticket, I didn't want to sound like an obsessive fanboy and there were other people waiting to meet him so I left it at that.

I think it's worth noting that even though Michael and the rest of the Swans have been around for a long time and are mostly approaching old age, they showed me tonight that they are unencumbered by it. These guys are still in love with what they do, and not one iota of their intensity has been sacrificed. I would even compare tonight's performance to their performances during the 80s. Just as brutal and intense as anything they did then, and nothing about it seemed trite or fake. Every drum hit, every guitar attack, every bass rumble, every word just whipped through me like an electric current (my lower back hurts, if that's any indication). The sound was just as much as a physical presence in the room as I or anyone else standing there was. I pretty much watched "old men" take any band in the entire history of music that has ever thought they were "heavy" or "intense", plunge them into a black hole, and utterly annihilate them. It was such a beautiful experience and I thank them with all my heart.
Last edited by Agrimes on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agrimes
president
president

Postby gjp on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 am

We seem to have attracted all the idiots. We were right in the middle of the moshers. It sucked.

Show was awesome despite being surrounded by those morons, who also felt a need to talk during all of Baby Dee's set. One of them was even on his phone.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Ace on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:16 am

qrj wrote:Show was awesome despite being surrounded by those morons, who also felt a need to talk during all of Baby Dee's set. One of them was even on his phone.

At least they weren't trying to be noticed by her during her set, which was happening where I was... laughing REALLY LOUDLY at her jokes, complimenting her n stuff. That was super irritating.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:36 am

Agrimes wrote:Oct. 6, Columbus, Oh

Setlist:
(Feedback/Drone/Noise Jam)
No Words, No Thoughts
Your Property
Sex, God, Sex
Jim
(Improv Jam?)
I Crawled
My Birth
Beautiful Child
Eden Prison

(I'm pretty sure that was everything. That's either an improv jam before I Crawled or something I didn't recognize)

I think that may just be part of "Jim," just like the extended drone is part of "No Words/No Thoughts." That is pretty much the same setlist they used in Detroit, except we clapped, hooted, stomped, hit bottles together and hollered after "Eden Prison" enough so that they came out again and played a completely rejiggered version of "Little Mouth" that trumped the original. It was about a minute and a half of all the guys making patented Swans "SMASH! SMASH!" noises - the bassist broke his A string - followed by a minute and a half of Gira singing the entire song a capella.

- Drummers damn near stole the show all on their own. Thor is appropriately named.

I felt like I could barely hear Thor and Cristoph for most of the Detroit concert, which ought to indicate how bowel-movingly loud the rest of the guys were, Pravdica and Westberg especially.

Phil Puleo, on the other hand, looks like Gumby and gets the MVP #2 Award, since MVP #1 goes to Norman Westberg in perpetuity.

- During "Beautiful Child" Chris' bass head blew so they had to cut the song short. Michael said if they couldn't rig another one up, the show would be over. Thor gave him his amp head and they hooked it all up, but mentioned something about it not being powerful enough. People were trying to mosh during the song and Michael was visibly annoyed (and rightly so). While setting up the bass stuff he said, "Please stop all the stupid-ass moshing. If you wanna do that, go see Green Day." Michael had a stand with lyric sheets and as they finshed each song he would toss it behind him. During this song there were three more sheets, but after the incident he tossed the other two away.

He was in great spirits here, and one thing that was awesome about the concert here was that he kept on being legitimately funny in between all the massive bursts of amplified violence. Two hipsters in the front were headbanging, and he did do the "No headbanging. None of that shit" routine, but he then pretty much pulled the rug out from under himself by kind of glowering at the audience, then going "...what." in a mock-cranky tone, and then blew some kind of whistle/noisemaker that made a ridiculous honking sound into the microphone. It might not translate all that well in print, but it was very, very funny at the time. Later in the concert, some wackjob tossed a bouquet of flowers on stage, so Gira said, "Should I stick them up my ass?" and pretended to while making a very dumb face. Seemed like at least a quarter of the goth population of the Metro Detroit area was out in force at that concert.

I agree with the analysis about them pretty much eating every other band that thinks they're "heavy" for breakfast with room for hors d'oeuvres on top. I really hope they come back to Detroit sometime soon.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Agrimes on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:57 am

You're right about him being in good spirits, something I wasn't really expecting out of him. He did the noisemaker thing at the Columbus show too, I just forgot to mention it.

"Hey, I got something to tell you guys! *hoooooot*!!!"

And between and during certain songs he was vigorously scratching his crotch and ass at the crowd.

Columbus' goth population made it to this show as well. After all, it was in a goth-themed nightclub. After Eden Prison was over he said they couldn't do any encores because of the aforementioned bass amp problems. I wonder what else they would have done. I was kinda hoping they'd play some "Soundtracks For The Blind"-era songs, but given the brutality the set already had, they would have stuck out like sore thumbs.
Agrimes
president
president

Postby jbarthebumtakr on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Tremendous show last night, funny to see an unkillable Peavey savng the set.
jbarthebumtakr
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:35 pm

Gira blew the horn thing while they were setting up at the Boston show.

We also had the "Little Mouth" noise/solo Gira at the end.

I still can't get over how amazing it was...and it was weird to see Gira smile. Especially right after howling "KILL! CHILD! KILL! CHILD"...
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2

Postby Verge of Light on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:11 am

Agrimes wrote:"Hey, I got something to tell you guys! *hoooooot*!!!"

And between and during certain songs he was vigorously scratching his crotch and ass at the crowd.

Interesting, he did the same things in Philly.

Makes me wonder if it wasn't some rehearsed / pre-determined clowning ala the Metallica Black Album Tour ("Hey Lars, let's have an impromptu drum solo contest." "Ok, James, what a whacky idea that we haven't done at the same time in every set and every show of this world tour.")

Ok, it doesn't REALLY make me wonder that at all. Ha ha.
Verge of Light
vishnu
vishnu

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Got into town to catch the second NYC date, having just returned from 36 days in the Caucasus. Mind-blowing. Couldn't even think about my jetlag. Just an incredible performance. And yes, I'd seen numerous Swans shows and lineups in the past. Saturday also featured a two-man horn section (slide trombones, I think) making elephant noises on a few tunes.

Possibly the best and most interesting reunion of an '80s/'90s band I can think of. For me, this even surpassed the Jesus Lizard (b/c this was a whole lot more than Swans' greatest hits done right). Goddamn, I can't wait to see them again.

One lament: They only had the Filth t shirt in fat-boy sizes. My early '90s version of this shirt is pretty ragged now, and I had hoped to replace it. So if anyone wants to sell me one in men's size M, I'll happily send you some cash.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby tocharian on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 pm

I have tried and tried and tried (and tried) with Swans. Noise rock by way of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Seriously, add a primitive drum thud and some croaky Gira vocals and it's a Swan's song.

Would have seen them live if they had played Los Angeles, though. Glad everybody enjoyed their shows.

crap
tocharian

Postby Ernest on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:48 pm

tocharian wrote:I have tried and tried and tried (and tried) with Swans. Noise rock by way of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Seriously, add a primitive drum thud and some croaky Gira vocals and it's a Swan's song.

That's a little unfair. No one cares about post-1986 Swans.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby elmofreech on Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 am

Ernest wrote:That's a little unfair. No one cares about post-1986 Swans.

I only care about post-1986 Swans.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
cy twombly
cy twombly

Postby Verge of Light on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Ernest wrote:
tocharian wrote:I have tried and tried and tried (and tried) with Swans. Noise rock by way of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Seriously, add a primitive drum thud and some croaky Gira vocals and it's a Swan's song.

That's a little insane.

Almost every Swans fan I know loves at least an album or two of their later work.

"White Light From the Mouth of Infinity" is my personal favorite but I love the early albums (and Circus Mort) nearly as much.
Verge of Light
vishnu
vishnu

Postby Into the Void on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Verge of Light wrote:
Ernest wrote:

That's a little insane.

Almost every Swans fan I know loves at least an album or two of their later work.

Yep. Tocharian, try Soundtracks for the Blind. It is ≈50% instrumental, very drone-y, dark and fucked up.
Into the Void
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Domagoj on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:13 am

OrthodoxEaster more or less wrote:Superb band with a messy but fascinating trajectory. '82/'83-'86/'87 and '94-'98 were my favorite eras. I only like a few grandiose songs on each of the maudlin "White Rabbit" albums. the Burning World was a serious failure. Jarboe can freely express her woman ways.

Never Crap, even though they were pretty close for a while in the late '80s.

re-make / re-model

Orthodox rockist, in this quality assessment we are very close. As usually, it seems I am a bigger goth than you are.

Hope the new flight will work out for me.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby punch_the_lion on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:39 pm

I just got the new album for my birthday. I think it is excellent so far, better than I expected it to be. I hope they do more shows in the future.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby rappard on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 am

Setlist from the 10/28/10 Koko (London, UK) show, copied/pasted from the torrent description:

01. No Words/No Thoughts (31:47)
02. My Property (7:28)
03. Sex God Sex (8:12)
04. Jim (9:48)
05. Unknown (14:51)
06. I Crawled (9:59)
07. intros (0:47)
08. Beautiful Child (8:38)
09. Eden Prison (9:38)
10. Little Mouth (4:11)
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby The Ditch on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Anyone here see them in Manchester?

Man, they were great.
The Ditch
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby Schadenfreude on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm really, really enjoying the new record.
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap