Total votes : 236

Re: band: swans

Postby Into the Void on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:01 pm

MrFood wrote:I got given the Body Lovers / Haters CD a little while ago.

I listened to the whole thing through - and right towards the end of the 'Lovers' CD, there's a part-sung, part-spoken vocal which sounds distinctly like Steve. Maybe a slightly younger Steve, but this record is 10 years old, right?

For the curious, it's right at the very end of track 9. It comes in right on the 8 minute mark.

Is it Steve?

That's Michael Gira.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby estragon on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Does anyone have a decent live recording of their recent sets?
estragon
monsignior
monsignior

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:13 am

i was supposed to be watching swans right now, but the show got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales (and instead melbourne gets a second show).
MrWarandieBoy
"nick the greek" dandolos
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby Haydon on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:06 am

Yeah...

...yeah :(
Haydon
intestine
intestine

Postby AnthonyCinder on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 pm

The earlier years are crushing, excellent.

There's a period of time in the latter half of the band's existence that I can't get into. Having said that, I love Soundtracks For the Blind. Pretty sure Jarboe is on that one.

Jury is still out on the new album.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Thanasis on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 am

Not crap. I saw them play four days ago and i can't stop thinking about it. One of, if not the best concert, i have ever seen/heard. If you get a chance to see them live i highly recommend it.
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band

Postby Thanasis on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 am

MrWarandieBoy wrote:i was supposed to be watching swans right now, but the show got cancelled due to lack of ticket sales (and instead melbourne gets a second show).

Shit! That sucks the big one.
Thanasis

Postby deep.BTUz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm

Believe it or not, I just listened to Swans for the first time. Really liked what I heard. Where is the best place for a novice to start?
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 pm

deep.BTUz wrote:Believe it or not, I just listened to Swans for the first time. Really liked what I heard. Where is the best place for a novice to start?

In terms of something that digests the many eras of the band and spits them back as a whole? Perhaps My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky (2010), The Great Annihilator (1995), or Children of God (1987). The latter two have a couple of clinkers and dated production, but you'll get the idea.

In terms of sheer brutality? Probably Cop (1984) and/or the Raping a Slave EP (1985). Not so accessible but you'll understand the basic blueprint for what came later.

Welcome!
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby deep.BTUz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
deep.BTUz wrote:Believe it or not, I just listened to Swans for the first time. Really liked what I heard. Where is the best place for a novice to start?

In terms of something that digests the many eras of the band and spits them back as a whole? Perhaps My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky (2010), The Great Annihilator (1995), or Children of God (1987). The latter two have a couple of clinkers and dated production, but you'll get the idea.

In terms of sheer brutality? Probably Cop (1984) and/or the Raping a Slave EP (1985). Not so accessible but you'll understand the basic blueprint for what came later.

Welcome!

Thanks. I'm kind of perusing the youtube clips right now, and I like the moody balladeering more than the yelling. Given that, which one do you think I should start with?
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:24 pm

deep.BTUz wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks. I'm kind of perusing the youtube clips right now, and I like the moody balladeering more than the yelling. Given that, which one do you think I should start with?

Happy to oblige.

This definitely narrows it down. Sorta. Of the above, probably The Great Annihilator. It probably has the best "ballads" of any Swans album. In that there's no yelling, but they're still "heavy." Children of God and My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky will also serve you well, but they each have a few ferocious numbers thrown in. Still, the latter is especially fantastic and worth your time.

The major-label Swans album, The Burning World (1989), is pretty much all ballads but it's rather non-representative. The production is inappropriate and Gira's singing is strained. I am not a fan but some people swear by it.

If you dig the ballads, you might also seek out the Angels of Light, Gira's far mellower singer/songwriter project during Swans' inactivity period. We Are Him (2007) and Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home (2003) are their high points.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby deep.BTUz on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:42 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
deep.BTUz wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote:

Welcome!

Happy to oblige.

This definitely narrows it down. Sorta. Of the above, probably The Great Annihilator. It probably has the best "ballads" of any Swans album. In that there's no yelling, but they're still "heavy." Children of God and My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky will also serve you well, but they each have a few ferocious numbers thrown in. Still, the latter is especially fantastic and worth your time.

The major-label Swans album, The Burning World (1989), is pretty much all ballads but it's rather non-representative. The production is inappropriate and Gira's singing is strained. I am not a fan but some people swear by it.

If you dig the ballads, you might also seek out the Angels of Light, Gira's far mellower singer/songwriter project during Swans' inactivity period. We Are Him (2007) and Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home (2003) are their high points.

I'm listening to The Burning World on youtube. Just bought it actually. Thanks for the help.
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:57 am

Soundtracks For the Blind. If you can't find something on that record that you like, then I just don't know.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby Plastic Eggs on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:07 am

Definitely check out How I Loved You by the Angels of Light.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby The Ditch on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:21 am

Wot, no White Light From The Mouth of Infinity / Love of Life?
The Ditch
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:49 am

Plastic Eggs wrote:Definitely check out How I Loved You by the Angels of Light.

Good record, especially if you like the softer side of Swans. I certainly prefer it to The Burning World, as it's a lot less glossy. But there are some Angels of Light records that I like even more.

Note to Mr. BTUz: The mellower Angels of Light stuff is something like a more natural, and--in my opinion--more successful take on what Gira tried to accomplish circa The Burning World.

The Ditch wrote:Wot, no White Light From The Mouth of Infinity / Love of Life?

They have their moments but they're kinda goth, no?

AnthonyCinder wrote:Soundtracks For the Blind. If you can't find something on that record that you like, then I just don't know.

A fascinating album, but way, way too sprawling and inaccessible for most neophytes. Plus, at least half of it is instrumental sound collage stuff...
OrthodoxEaster

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:13 pm

Well would you look at that. It would appear that Jarboe will sing some background vocals on the forthcoming Swans album:

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2012/0 ... nihilator/
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Domagoj on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 am

Good news. Welcome back, Lady Snake.
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:04 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:Well would you look at that. It would appear that Jarboe will sing some background vocals on the forthcoming Swans album:

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2012/0 ... nihilator/

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap