crap
6%
not crap
81%
it all depends on whether jarboe is on the record
12%

Total votes : 236

Postby tmidgett on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:47 pm

A Landing Craft wrote:still want to track down "Public Castration Is A Good Idea".

Massive record. Love it.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby John W. on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 pm

I remember being a teen and listening to The Swans a lot. I'd put the speakers right in front of me and turn it as high as I could without making the stereo fry. I can't really get into them anymore, but they were a great, weird, powerful band.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby placeholder on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:08 pm

I think Public Castration... and Body to Body... are their best records, but everything from the beginning until Children of God is pretty much unbeatable.

NOT CRAP.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:52 pm

Public Castration Is a Good Idea is really hard to listen to. Even for me, and I am a pretty big Swans fan.

KZZHZHZHHHH-DUN-da-dun-KZHZHHHHHZHHZHZMONEY!IS FLEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH-SH! And it goes on like that for, what, 70 minutes?

It's just punishing. Which is what Swans are supremely good for, but it's almost too punishing for me to ever be in the mood for.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Magenta on Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:20 pm

I have a shirt with the Filth album cover on it.
Love that shirt.

One of my favorites, not crap at all
Magenta
mickey cochrane
mickey cochrane

Postby elmofreech on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:59 pm

A Landing Craft wrote:I've only just got round to checking them out. I really love the early 82-84 stuff...not so hot on the later stuff, but still want to track down "Public Castration Is A Good Idea".

i know you guys don't want mp3s (i don't really either) but most of the Swans stuff is on eMusic. Except for "Cop" thru "Holy Money." Sign up for the trial subscription and use your song downloads to get "Public Castration." That's what I did. It's still downloading, but I'd like to think Young God gets some $$$ for it.

I really like the later Swans btw.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Red Square on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:08 pm

yeah, some of the later stuff isn't too bad...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: band: swans

Postby cjh on Mon May 04, 2009 4:11 am

brainwashed.com wrote:
Swans To Reform? Michael Gira Live at the Oxfam Café

Seemingly out of the blue, Michael Gira came to Tufts University on April 26th and played for a group of about 50 people. The show had been announced just days before he was to perform, but this did not stop him from playing a set composed of new songs, as well as some familiar material from both Swans and Angels of Light. I took some notes from the performance and had the chance to talk with him both before and after the show. Somewhere along the line he managed to utter the words "Swans" and "tour" in the same sentence.
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Adam I on Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 am

In other Swans-related news, Jarboe is responsible for the soundtrack to the laugh-a-minute terror/rape-horror game 'The Path'. For me, is not compute, but for others perhaps not so much...

track here
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I

Postby John C5 on Mon May 04, 2009 6:36 am

At the end of my first year of uni I had to get a job, urgently. My friend told me of a security firm that would take me on instantly. The idea of securing anything was almost as abhorrent as the uniform I had to wear, but for six months I did twelve hour shifts in some unusual places. One favourite and easy one was an abandoned office block right behind the Bank of England. Have you ever been in the square mile of the City of London on a weekend? There is no-one there. Just a few puzzled tourists and many little men in stupid blue uniforms, asleep or doing ta'i chi on the roof. Another strange one was manning a desk in an entirely switched-off power station near Dagenham. A cathedral of metal and pipes, with me sat in the middle, reading Nietszche.
Anyway, there are not many times in my life that I have felt lonely; I'm good with solitude. But being the sole occupant of a huge flat fenced-off piece of land beneath London Airport in the east-end for a couple of summer's days did it. Emptiness can be beautiful, but not when it's forced. Love of Life filled the space for me and when I hear it now I am in that dry brown place, watching private planes take off and land full of people having a far more interesting time.
sleepkid wrote:It is a deep and complex world, and so try and take a breather every so often.
John C5
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Michael Gira wrote:I am considering the idea of calling the next record a Swans album, or at least some sort of hybrid between Swans and Angels of Light. It might even be like this: Swans/Angels of Light, not sure yet. Then I got to thinking that if this happens, I will probably put together a Swans/Angels Of Light tour. I am even threatening to play some older Swans material as well as Angels material on the tour. We’ll see. I haven’t even contacted the appropriate suspects/musicians/victims yet to contribute. It will NOT be Swans “reuniting” or any crap like that – more carrying forward with the thread from Swans’ Soundtracks For The Blind / Swans Are Dead period, and incorporating what I’ve learned from, and the sensibility of, Angels Of Light as well. But surely, in any event, I am anxious to feel the force of sound abuse/pass through my body again.

Very exciting.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Adam I on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:06 am

Ooh!

Yes, this is very exciting. Well, assuming Gira et al make it to ol' Yookers. The last Angels of Light record was very Swan...Swanny? Swannish? Swan-like. Didn't really like his previous Akron/Family / AoL hybrids - thought the straight AoL stuff was far better, but the most recent one was great.

That's assuming 'We are him' is the most recent AoL record...

Anyway, would see.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I

Postby BClark on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:25 pm

yea its pretty exciting, but i get the feeling (given the general direction he takes with the angels of light) that it would be more of a return to the late-career swans stuff, which is good but not as great as everything up to and including children of god.

hey, is there a poll for best swans album? that would be an interesting one. i'm tempted to say filth but it's a close call between all those early albums.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:40 pm

Picked up "Feel Good Now" on vinyl a couple of days ago. I listened to side A and dug it, I haven't had a chance to listen to the rest of it due to a shroomathon. I don't know if that would've been a good idea, didn't want to find out either. The songs I heard made me feel uneasy sober.

This is the first record by Swans I have heard. What's a good starting point for this band? Seems like they got a grip of albums, most of 'em out of print (at least from my work).
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby BClark on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:12 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:This is the first record by Swans I have heard. What's a good starting point for this band? Seems like they got a grip of albums, most of 'em out of print (at least from my work).

i'd say their first album filth is a good starting point. all of the first 5 albums are very good - filth, cop, greed, holy money, and children of god (in order). jarboe joins on greed but doesn't become a major contributor until children of god and everything after that. i'd say her contributions range from ok to quite good, but one way or another her presence in swans is "not the point" of the band.

filth, cop, and greed are my favorites and all good starting points. public castration is a good idea is a very good and aggressive live album that should be checked out. children of god is very good but it introduces way more traditional songwriting and melodic stuff into their sound, so i'd say it's not quite representative of what they do best.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark

Postby Magenta on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:58 pm

BClark wrote:i'd say her contributions range from ok to quite good, but one way or another her presence in swans is "not the point" of the band.

What was the point of the band?
Magenta
mickey cochrane
mickey cochrane

Postby BClark on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Magenta wrote:
BClark wrote:i'd say her contributions range from ok to quite good, but one way or another her presence in swans is "not the point" of the band.

What was the point of the band?

the early stuff
BClark

Postby Magenta on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:06 pm

http://www.lastsigh.com/interviews/gira.htm

This seemingly proves everyone wrong, which is ideal.
Magenta
mickey cochrane
mickey cochrane

Postby Buttcakefred on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:20 am

Filth is awesome. Listen to weakling and have it grind your face off. Soundtracks for the blind is the best double album I've heard.
Buttcakefred
pod
pod

Postby Bernardo on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Anyone hear anything about them being back together?
Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap