Re: Thunderdome: CCR vs. VU

Postby n.c. on Wed May 18, 2011 12:27 pm

i like velvet underground better.
n.c.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby japmn on Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm

I think VU can be very hit or miss but even when they are missing, they are more interesting than CCR. CCR have 3 songs and they are good, but they play those 3 songs over and ove,r calling them by different names. VU had John Cale. They win for that alone. Throw in Nico and it's a landslide.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Colonel Panic on Wed May 18, 2011 4:09 pm

VU could choogle:
"Some Kind of Love"
"Sweet Jane"

VU could rock a shuffle:
"Run Run Run"

VU could rock a driving rhythm:
"White Light/White Heat"
"I'm Waiting For The Man"

VU could rock a smooth groove:
"Femme Fatale"
"I´ll Be Your Mirror"

VU could rock it soulful:
"I Found a Reason"
"Oh! Sweet Nothin'"
"Jesus"

VU could rock some noise:
"Sister Ray"
"Loop"
"Black Angels Death Song"

Has CCR ever rocked with this kind of style?
"Venus In Furs"
"All Tomorrow's Parties"
"Murder Mystery"

Don't get me wrong. Creedence was a great band, but they're kind of a one-trick pony compared to the Velvet Underground.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu May 19, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tarandfeathers on Wed May 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Colonel Panic wrote:Don't get me wrong. Creedence was a great band, but they're kind of a one-trick pony compared to the Velvet Underground.

Exactly. Creedence gets me much, much closer to my ultimate dream of listening to the same riff forever repeated into infinity, and they're not even trying to be arty about it. CCR vs John Cale's involvement in the Dream Syndicate/Theatre of Eternal Music would be a much tougher thunderdome for me. Also, by and large Lou Reed's voice makes me wish someone would punch him in the face. John Fogerty's voice makes my ears feel like they are made of solid gold.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Mark Hansen on Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I have to confess, I don't get people who don't get the Velvet Underground. They could go from despairing to joyful, deadly serious to whimsical, all in the same song.

Their self titled album is completely without a bum note, as far as I'm concerned. It is the album of theirs I most often return to, without question. The first two albums drew me in, but that particular album seals the deal for me. And I like all their studio albums, those officially released, and those consisting of outtakes or previously unreleased studio material. A lot of their live bootlegs are great as well. Easily, the most thoroughly documented live band in my record collection, with the possible exceptions of TG and Psychic TV.

CCR is just a blip on my radar, as far as I'm concerned. The VU is a multi-faceted universe.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Colonel Panic on Wed May 18, 2011 7:44 pm

tarandfeathers wrote:...my ultimate dream of listening to the same riff forever repeated into infinity, and they're not even trying to be arty about it.

If this is the case, then why would you ever own any more records than a single of AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"?
Colonel Panic

Postby tarandfeathers on Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 am

Because I prefer Creedence to AC/DC? Is that the correct answer? I think it is the correct answer.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers

Postby holmes on Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 pm

now, that, is a fucking thunderdome.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes

Postby Colonel Panic on Thu May 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Yeah, CCR vs. AC/DC makes more sense to me also, though I think Creedence would win that one mightily.

I can't believe VU isn't completely ruining CCR in this thread, in this particular community. CCR was a very good radio-friendly rock band, whereas the Velvets' influence on rock music is monumental, spawning several entire genres of music like noise rock, shoegaze, drone and dream pop. I'd say they're probably the (distant) second most influential band of the 1960s, after the Beatles.
Colonel Panic

Postby numberthirty on Thu May 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Colonel Panic wrote: I'd say they're probably the (distant) second most influential band of the 1960s, after the Beatles.

I don't know. There's a reason people tell that joke about Velvet Underground fans forming bands.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Mark Hansen on Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 pm

This thread has made me go back and listen to all those live and rediscovered studio recording/alternative recordings albums by the VU that I have. I am really enjoying this. There are so many good songs that were not on the officially released records, that are every bit as good as those on the official releases, that it is kind of amazing.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen

Postby Surfrider on Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 pm

All these "who was more influential, who was more pretentious, who was more authentic, which people were more douchey" type arguments are just clouding the issue for me. As are the extremists that are dismissing one band or the other.

This really is one of the toughest either/or polls ever. VU has versatility on their side, but CCR has the goddam locked-down choogle. CCR are a one trick pony but god damn if they don't play that trick better than anyone.

Y'know, i can't choose. When i'm feeling a bit wonky, out of sorts, uncertain, hopeless/hopeful, give me VU all day. When i've got a smile on my face, i'm with my good friends and we're sitting on the balcony, gimme that CCR ramble tamble until the cows come home.

Jury is 6 vs 6 on this one for me.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby punch_the_lion on Thu May 19, 2011 11:25 pm

VU were far more consistent, so they get my vote. CCR, as mentioned, were a good singles band. I could do without certain songs due to overplay on classic rock radio, though.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Thanasis on Thu May 19, 2011 11:46 pm

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Plus, all of the CCR songs are about how happy they are living out in the swamp with their Creole friends. All of them.

Yeah, like that song "Tombstone Shadow" or that other one "Graveyard Train" or "Effigy" or maybe "Fortunate Son"
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band
that guy from the opening band

Postby numberthirty on Fri May 20, 2011 12:37 am

Thanasis wrote:
Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Plus, all of the CCR songs are about how happy they are living out in the swamp with their Creole friends. All of them.

Yeah, like that song "Tombstone Shadow" or that other one "Graveyard Train" or "Effigy" or maybe "Fortunate Son"

Not to mention "Someday Never Comes", "Have You Ever Seen The Rain", "Lodi", "Travelin' Band", or "Run Through The Jungle".
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap