Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

CCR vs VU

CCR
44%
VU
56%

Total votes : 131

Postby FuzzBob on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:14 am

Get dog costumes wrote:The VU are still influential, and many of my favorite bands would not be if not for them. Yet I don't go back to their albums. I like the guitar playing, Lou's vocals, and "Heroin," but that's about it.

I don't know of CCR being influential, but I love so many of their songs. Certainly they weren't nearly as ambitious, but I'd rather listen to "Ramble Tamble" than any long VU track. And the Cook/Clifford rhythm section is excellent. So I'll take CCR.

Saying I "respect" a band seems like a cop-out to me, but I think that's the appropriate stance to take on the VU here. They probably had a hand in the greatness of Can, Bedhead, and Silkworm, so I respect them for their ideas even if I don't listen to them.

With respect, my opinion is the polar opposite of yours.

My choice was VU without even thinking about it, based on personal taste. Despite the fact that I never plan to touch heroin ever, I instantly relate to the music's milkshake-thick fog of informed anomie spiked with the occasional flash of some event. The recording quality simply hits me as '60s DIY, nothing more or less. The factoid that Lou Reed wrote "Heroin" when The Beatles sang "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" is nice, but not a deal maker/breaker. Same with Nico.

I find CCR grating, on the other hand. Too down-home corny with a foul proto-Hootie aftertaste. I do respect them, though, and I don't see how that could possibly be a cop-out. The rhythm section sounded like they were Stax-tight on the R&B-ish stuff, their arrangements were perfectly done, and the songwriting was undeniable.
FuzzBob
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Thunderdome: CCR vs. VU

Postby Trey on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:42 am

I am bumping this old 'dome I put up because I was reading an old copy of Puncture magazine that I found the other day and the issue was a tribute to CCR. I guess Puncture was basically an indie rock zine, I seem to remember one with Sleater Kinney on the cover. Anyways, among the articles in this issue was a piece by Steve Malkmus. Basically he was tipping his hat to CCR, but he mentioned how they and VU were the super big whatever influences in his musical mind. He went on about the two bands for a bit, even though it was a CCR piece. I can't quite recall how he put it. But it was very well worded; it would have been a great post in this thread!

Anyway, it reminded me of this thread, so I bumped it. And I still give the nod to CCR, although VU in second are still way out in front of the rest of the pack.

Also, I would like to point out that I have started very few c/nc threads or other polls in the past because I have a brain that is riddled with A.D.D. The shit is real. The process of making one of these kinds of threads is overwhelming to me. Seriously. I know how lame that sounds. But it is the sad truth. I can't tell you how many times I have aborted posting a crap/not crap type thread mid way through composing it because I simply couldn't get my head around the steps. I go through all the steps and the shit is wrong. It makes me feel even stupider. I've even had to get my wife to do a few for me over the years because I really wanted them up. You laughing at me, bish? I'll fuck your eye socket out of your fucking head! Just saying. The complexity of the posting, she defeats me.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Trey on Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:44 am

Also, I tried to find the article online, but the magazine doesn't seem to be archive.
http://www.versechorus.com/puncturebackissues.html
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby a leg plaster on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 am

Gonna go with the Velvets, hands down. I really dig some of CCR's stuff, I think it's great, but they sure as hell haven't spoken to me in any way that the Velvets did and continue to.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby RBoyer on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:14 am

CCR is awesome, but I haven't spent significant amounts of time obsessed with them, as I have with VU.

It's VU.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby howiemarx on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:50 am

VU.
No hesitation.
howiemarx
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Re:

Postby geiginni on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 am

John George Peppers wrote:
Ace wrote:when I finally heard VU everyone had told me how incredible they were and I was pretty underwhelmed.

CCR made some great songs, but I always thought they were a bit of a one trick pony.

Yep, there you have it. I don't dislike either but......see above statement.

+1

If I were to try to listen to VU now, they'd probably annoy the shit outta me.

If I were to listen to CCR, it'd be cool for 20-30 minutes or so. Groove to Run Through the Jungle. Then it'd get old and I'd have to turn it off.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby japmn on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:53 am

I can 99.999% (repeating of course) live without CCR. Although I haven't listened to any VU in a really long time, I'm glad I went through a heavy phase of it.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:48 am

The Velvet Underground takes this one in a walk. Creedence was fantastic, and it's the sort of band I'd usually take over VU, but The Velvets were a three-dimensional band whereas Creedence just rocks.
Minotaur029

Postby Kyle Motor on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01 am

CCR, based solely on the "beer with" rule. I'd rather sit down and have a beer and chat with Fogerty than Reed.
That dog won't hunt, monsignor.
zom-zom wrote:Fuck you loser pussies that hate KISS.

Go listen to your beard-nerd aluminum guitar shit. See if I care.
Kyle Motor
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Control Z on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:02 am

VU. Morrison, Cale, and Tucker FTW. Waffle: "Fortunate Son."
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Surprisingly, this is a tougher thunderdome than I imagined.

It comes down to this:

CCR was a peerless singles band.
The Velvets were an influential albums band.

Since I tend to care more about albums than singles, and since the Velvet Underground have had a massive influence on the way I think about music, I should give it to the Velvet Underground and will. CCR were also, as charged, one-dimensional - though their dimension was wonderful, it was the only one they had, and their efforts to break out of it produced uniformly awful music. Mardi Gras is mindbogglingly bad, and really the one flawless album CCR produced was Cosmo's Factory, though I do love Willie and the Poor Boys too. The Velvet Underground had two albums that were close to flawless.

But I need to acknowledge that the Velvet Underground, as wonderful as they are, don't give me the kind of lunatic pleasure that CCR can inspire.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby cowboyhero on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Creedence by a country mile. The Velvet Underground were terrible, just embarrassingly bad.
cowboyhero
assistant intern
assistant intern

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Man, I really got into Creedence in the last year. "Ramble Tamble" is my jam for sure, but there are so many great ones. Just a really simple, powerful rock band with awesome guitar interplay and a kickin' rythym section. Classic rock radio will never let them go, so its hard for most folks to hear how unique they were, especially when played in between Lynyrd Skynrd and Guess Who tracks. They were one of the best of their time.

But The Velvet Underground were nearly unbeatable. They never played a wrong note. I agree with just about every member of that band that their studio albums merely approximated the insane things they did live. Sure, every studio album is earthshaking in its own way. A lot of great live recordings have surfaced in the last decade that showcase just how earthshaking this band was. Bootleg Series Volume 1: The Quine Tapes is indispensable, as is the unofficial bootleg Live At The Gymnasium (from 67 with John Cale and the first ever performance of "Sister Ray"!). There are very few bands that I could vote for over The Velvet Underground. A band's band.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby alex maiolo on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:32 pm

VU by an Urban Mile.

I like CCR just fine. AT the end of the day, though, they were pretty much playing in the folk/blues/rock tradition, with the chooglin' factor making them just a little better than the rest. No real ground broken though.

What came before VU that sounded much like VU? I like the first generation weirdos. When I think about what The Monks must have sounded like in '64, it blows my mind. Bobby Vinton had most of the hits that year, and the Beatles hadn't publicly "turned on" yet.
Same with VU. As things were turning to Peace and Love, they showed us that the world was ugly and weird. And you know what, THAT was the truth. Peace and Love was escapism.

Clearly CCR wasn't in step with their peers either, but when I think of who was more likely to tour with Country Joe And The Fish, I think of CCR.

Both great bands, but VU influenced more of my favorites, and I blame a lot of Alt Country on CCR.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby placeholder on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:45 pm

VU, no contest.

I love CCR, but they aren't in the same class as the VU.
placeholder

Postby J. Burns on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Creedence.

Look. I like the Velvets just fine. Voting for them over CCR because the Velvets were more "diverse" or "groundbreaking" or whatever is like voting for 311 over the Ramones. At the end of the day, it should be about who has the best jams.

Between these two bands, CCR has the best jams.
J. Burns

Postby sawtooth on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:13 pm

its joy vs destructive joy. destructive joy wins. vu wins.
Last edited by sawtooth on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the three-lobed burning eye
sawtooth
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby timpickens on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:58 pm

This is a tough one. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to CCR, and when I am they're supreme. But, I can listen to the Velvets mostly anytime and be happy.

VU, by a pube
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:54 am

Anarchy 2010 wrote:
cowboyhero wrote:Creedence by a country mile. The Velvet Underground were terrible, just embarrassingly bad.

Dumbest thing I have heard on this board as of yet.

Funny that you should say that . . .
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap