Coil?

CRAP
12%
NOT CRAP
88%

Total votes : 41

Re: Band: Coil

Postby brisket on Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:58 pm

Who made more (as in, greater volume of) interesting music than Coil? No one I can think of.

Definite NC
brisket
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby Piss Pisstofferson on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:54 am

Anyone who's heard Coil and doesnt love them, I dont understand what you want out of music or life and dont goddamn want to.
Piss Pisstofferson
mother superior
mother superior

Postby Mick Shrimpton on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Piss Pisstofferson wrote:Anyone who's heard Coil and doesnt love them, I dont understand what you want out of music or life and dont goddamn want to.

I've tried Horse Rotovator and Backwards. They were indistinguishable from Sounds From the Haunted Mansion. I imagine Trent Reznor plays Coil while he hands out Almond Joys to trick-or-treaters.

Crap.
Mick Shrimpton
first class
first class

Postby Defender on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:09 pm

woah wait.. almond joys rule, as do those two Coil albums.. oh and everything else they did too..

had a Coil dream the other night. marc almond was with them. close as i will get to seeing them i suppose! the pot i have has been giving me and my gf wild dreams all week, it's pretty neat

the reissues that come out tmrw are sold out til December already!
god is a gentleman. he prefers blondes.
Defender
star
star

Postby Defender on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:12 pm

J_Temperance wrote:I've sort of given cursory listens to Love's Secret Domain (which I thought sucked) and the "In the Dark" albums (which sounded more like straight up music for tripping), so I guess it's WF=3 then.

this one is top three for me! they weren't even really 'tripping' either.. just speed , x , n so on
god is a gentleman. he prefers blondes.
Defender
star
star

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:28 am

I could give or take a lot of their stuff, but Time Machines is a very special album. As good as drone gets. Eliane Radigue and Time Machines. Does very weird things to the mind, as advertised.

Can't help but be irritated by the cult of Coil. Know a lot of people that have just discovered them in the last few years, suddenly gotten very magickal and started crappy Coil lite/like projects.

Yes, your sex life is very spooky indeed.

I wish such trivial shit didn't annoy me. Need to listen to Time Machines and transcend.
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby goatlord on Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:38 am

I really, really enjoy Time Machines, and I really like Sleazy and Jhon Balance as characters, but I can't get into the rest of the output. Oh, yeah, there's that New Blockaders colaboration! That's a cool noise record.

This is one of those bands that ought to click with me but, so far, I've failed to like them. Another one is Talking Heads.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Mama Clortho on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 am

We seem to have exactly the same taste, goatlord. I recommend Peter Christopherson's Time Machines II if you've not already heard it. Maybe not perfect and essential like the first, but it has some great tracks all the same.
Mama Clortho

Postby Into the Void on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:25 pm

goatlord wrote:I really, really enjoy Time Machines, and I really like Sleazy and Jhon Balance as characters, but I can't get into the rest of the output. Oh, yeah, there's that New Blockaders colaboration! That's a cool noise record.

This is one of those bands that ought to click with me but, so far, I've failed to like them. Another one is Talking Heads.

Some recommendations from someone who has listened to them a lot, for a long time:

Black Light District- a balanced album that has some of the songwriting from their early career mixed in with long instrumental tracks (looking back I see this was actually released as "Coil Presents Black Light District - A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room"). Late 90's/early 00's Coil is the best stuff, in my opinion. Die Wölfe Kommen Zurück is one of my favorite tracks of theirs.

The New Backwards- Re-worked/mixed material from 2008 originally recorded in the 90's. Noisy, somewhat industrial, really solid from start to finish.

Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil- Harsh droning noise. If you like the New Blockaders collaboration you might like this.

(PS- if anyone has that Coil/New Blockaders collaboration on MP3 and wants to PM me a link where I could grab it you'd be my best friend forever).
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Mama Clortho on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:55 am

Into the Void wrote:

Black Light District- a balanced album that has some of the songwriting from their early career mixed in with long instrumental tracks (looking back I see this was actually released as "Coil Presents Black Light District - A Thousand Lights In A Darkened Room"). Late 90's/early 00's Coil is the best stuff, in my opinion. Die Wölfe Kommen Zurück is one of my favorite tracks of theirs.

Hey, thanks for mentioning this. I like this one a lot. The track you linked to is particularly great.

I could upload the new blockaders collab if no one else has gotten back to you.
Mama Clortho

Postby Into the Void on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:I could upload the new blockaders collab if no one else has gotten back to you.

It would be great if you could, thanks!
Into the Void

Postby Sprague Dawley on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Gold is new metal lp= YES
Horse Rotorvator lp= YES (although mines the bootleg, cant tell if it sounds shit or not, no complaints here)
Ape of naples 4xlp box= YES to last 2 lps

although got to be careful what mood I'm in before I out thsi shit on, lest it send me spiralling into a bizarro tizzy. and also DO NOT put it on if someone else is home. this is solo shit. they dont even have to try to be creepy or weird, they just make music and thats how it comes out. seems to me
Sprague Dawley
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby Otto Parts on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 pm

Otto Parts
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap