Who's the best????

The Birthday Party
48%
Joy Division
52%

Total votes : 130

Re: The Birthday Party Vs Joy Division

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:15 pm

The Birthday Party. I prefer the kind of bloody, lusty heat generated by this band's music to the kind of cold alienation conveyed by Joy Division. No matter how well-conveyed it may be.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Schadenfreude on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Birthday Party.

I go through phases where I don't like Joy Division. And even when I do like them, the emotion of their music is aimed to make you feel shitty. I don't like feeling shitty. I will say in their defense that I really enjoy playing their music. I'm always in the mood to cover that band. It's simple and fun.

Birthday Party feels so maniacal. Maniacal music has to make you grin.
That's not entirely true.
Schadenfreude
chimp
chimp

Postby cneutron on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:35 pm

The Birthday Party is one of my favorite bands EVER.
I have a feeling there are a lot of people voting that haven't delved too far into TBP's catalog.

I made This compilation for the One CD mix of a band you like for someone interested thread.

I don't think you can really be into music and not hear enough Joy Division to at least form an opinion. I don't think the same is true of The Birthday Party.

oh yeah, guess who I voted for?
Joy Division is awesome, but no contest for me.
cneutron

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:50 pm

cneutron wrote:The Birthday Party is one of my favorite bands EVER.
I have a feeling there are a lot of people voting that haven't delved too far into TBP's catalog.

I made This compilation for the One CD mix of a band you like for someone interested thread.

I don't think you can really be into music and not hear enough Joy Division to at least form an opinion. I don't think the same is true of The Birthday Party.

oh yeah, guess who I voted for?
Joy Division is awesome, but no contest for me.

Fuck yes!

Today just got a little brighter. The Birthday Party takes the lead! Righteous.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Control Z on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Fuck you. Joy Division. :D

But not by much.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby a leg plaster on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:23 pm

SecondEdition wrote:No other band could never, ever have recorded "Capers."

FYP.

That is my favorite song of theirs! So glad to finally hear someone give it a nod.

I chose the Birthday Party in this poll, easily. The boredom that overcomes me from listening to Joy Division has not left me from the first time I ever heard them. I just don't get it.

The Birthday Party on the other hand, had me by the balls the first time "Sonny's Burning" came into play and tore my stereo apart. The very next day I went in the record shop to buy Junkyard and when I made it home "Blast Off" proceeded to do the exact same thing to me, maybe even more so. By the following week I had made my way back to that very same record store to purchase Prayers on Fire and it quickly became the best album of theirs to me. The first and second songs were unbeatable pieces of abrasive rock music and I could hardly believe what I was hearing, but by the time "Capers" had finished, I knew I had found a band that was of the utmost importance to me. Completely life changing. I wish I could relive those couple of weeks over again.

The Birthday Party. Nothing close of a second thought.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby a leg plaster on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Just read your post in that mix CD thread and it seems you and I both got in with the Birthday Party on the same track --- "HANDS UP, WHO WANTS TO DIE!". I'm downloading your compilation now too, which looks completely fantastic. Probably gonna throw "Capers" on there and stick it in my car stereo, actually.

Salut!
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby Control Z on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm

Y'know what? I would probably have voted for the Birthday Party, but I saw the Birthday Party in 1982 (at Tuts in Chicago), and they emitted 100% pure spite and chaos and godforsaken noise, and it was great. But I never saw Joy Division. Had they toured America in 1980 like they planned to, and played Chicago, it is possible that I would have seen them.

So, if I had seen Joy Division, like two Englishmen (Stewart O. and Dave C.) whom I "know" via the internet, I woulda voted Birthday Party; but Joy Division remains, for me and several of my elderly American friends, the band that we never got to see live. For lots of people, the Birthday Party remains the unseeable -- too young, wrong continent, etc -- and therefore most valued group. That is fine.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby a leg plaster on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Control Z wrote:Y'know what? I would probably have voted for the Birthday Party, but I saw the Birthday Party in 1982 (at Tuts in Chicago), and they emitted 100% pure spite and chaos and godforsaken noise, and it was great. But I never saw Joy Division. Had they toured America in 1980 like they planned to, and played Chicago, it is possible that I would have seen them.

So, if I had seen Joy Division, like two Englishmen (Stewart O. and Dave C.) whom I "know" via the internet, I woulda voted Birthday Party; but Joy Division remains, for me and several of my elderly American friends, the band that we never got to see live. For lots of people, the Birthday Party remains the unseeable -- too young, wrong continent, etc -- and therefore most valued group. That is fine.

Interesting outlook. I couldn't use this as a voting method to most of the bands that I enjoy though, due to my age constraints and all of that. I'm sure it would have been an absolute blast of a time to see the Birthday Party live, especially considering how great their live album and footage remains to this day. Definitely wishing I was there.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby Antero on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:54 am

Exactly 50/50 split. Impressive.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Plastic Eggs on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:17 pm

The Birthday Party without a moment's hesitation.
Plastic Eggs
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby sulfur)addict on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 pm

The emotional resonance I have with Joy Division beats out the bitter caveman rock of The Birthday Party. I have to go with Joy Division.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Chromodynamic on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:26 pm

Confession: I haven't heard any Joy Division outside of that one song. Guess I better get to listening before I vote, although I am inclined to think the Birthday Party will win out anyways. I was actually just going to vote for the Birthday Part and be done with it but the emotional resonance that sulfur)addict mentions intrigues me.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby i am the smud on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Fuck Joy Division. That band bores the shit out of me. Fuck them right in the face

The Birthday Party
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby cneutron on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:07 pm

a leg plaster wrote:

Just read your post in that mix CD thread and it seems you and I both got in with the Birthday Party on the same track --- "HANDS UP, WHO WANTS TO DIE!". I'm downloading your compilation now too, which looks completely fantastic. Probably gonna throw "Capers" on there and stick it in my car stereo, actually.

Salut!

How did I not see this comment? And/or leave it unanswered?
Yeah, Capers is awesome... who the fuck else would write a song like that, I left it off because there was so much ground to cover though.

Again no dis to Joy Division, but Birthday Party man... Birthday Party
cneutron

Postby IDNG on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Birthday Party. By a country mile and then some. They have an intensity and madness that Joy Division can't touch. I used to love JD when I was younger but with each year that passes I like them less and less. It just doesn't hold up for me. It's the opposite with BP. I loved them then and more and more each year.

And I could watch this performance every day for years. Actually, I almost have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlS4BwTUQw
IDNG
novitiate
novitiate

Postby Bill Swansea on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:44 am

cneutron wrote:
a leg plaster wrote:

Salut!

How did I not see this comment? And/or leave it unanswered?
Yeah, Capers is awesome... who the fuck else would write a song like that, I left it off because there was so much ground to cover though.

Again no dis to Joy Division, but Birthday Party man... Birthday Party

Y'all be weeping at a Joy Division compilation I could make.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby arrowhead on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 am

joy division. all day.
arrowhead
scout
scout

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap