Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who's the best????

The Birthday Party
48%
Joy Division
52%

Total votes : 130

Postby Dazzling Killman on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:33 pm

Jujyfruits wrote:The Birthday Party for miles. Joy Division was boring as fuck. TBP was a lot more intense than JD and, judging for what I've seen, their shows were way more exciting.

And anyway JD never had a bass player with a see-through shirt, big moustache and cowboy hat. Just that would beat almost every band.

Honestly i don't think that big moustaches and cowboy hats can beat Curtis on the stage...but i reconize the big personality of Cave...he was a leader for sure
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Piasek on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Dazzling Killman wrote:
Jujyfruits wrote:The Birthday Party for miles. Joy Division was boring as fuck. TBP was a lot more intense than JD and, judging for what I've seen, their shows were way more exciting.

And anyway JD never had a bass player with a see-through shirt, big moustache and cowboy hat. Just that would beat almost every band.

Honestly i don't think that big moustaches and cowboy hats can beat Curtis on the stage...but i reconize the big personality of Cave...he was a leader for sure

Joy Division - every song sounds the same. don't get me wrong they're a nice guys i lke'em just fine

TBP - fucking great band, great musicians and a mile stone in the history of alternative music. great songwriting and everything. tbp can beat every otherband, except some exceptions.
Last edited by Piasek on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Piasek
grand
grand

Postby Dazzling Killman on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:38 pm

Piasek wrote:and this is the reason to vote for tbp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsJcZro7Yk

Not my fav song of them...but nice clip!
Nick was on fire!! :P
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Dazzling Killman on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:42 pm

Piasek wrote:
Dazzling Killman wrote:

Joy Division - every song sounds the same. don't get me wrong they're a nice guy i lke'em just fine

TBP - fucking great band, great musicians and a mile stone in the history of alternative music. great songwriting and everything. tbp can beat every band, except some exceptions.

Ok let me see...for you songs like Atrocity Exhibition, A Means to the End, Excersize One, She's Lost Control, Shadowplay, Candidate, Sound of Music or Somethiing Musk Break sounds the same???? beh for me not...
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

Postby o_d_m on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Piasek wrote:The Birthday Party - every song sounds the same. don't get me wrong they're a nice guys i lke'em just fine

FYP
o_d_m
jiminy cricket
jiminy cricket

Postby Dr. Geek on Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm

This is a tough one, surprisingly. I was ready to go with the Birthday Party before thinking it over. And now . . .

Joy Division was a semi-decent band that flirted with synth filled crap toward the end of its life.

The Birthday Party easily swallowed any band then (indeed, most bands now); a monstrosity beckoned to life on a former penal colony.

Easy choice, right? Except I find myself listening to Joy Division more (or at least the first album) when compared to the Birthday Party.

Hmmm . . .

I think I'm gonna have to vote for Prince on this one.
My Radio Show: Hex Enduction Hours On 91.3 FM KXCI Tucson - Recent Playlists

Bringing you the best punk, post-punk, and noise rock from the US/UK and beyond! Every Thursday midnight to 3AM MST (stream online at http://www.kxci.org)
Dr. Geek
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Ranxerox on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Piasek wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:Joy Division is essential.

Can't believe they are winning this poll. Cannot.

BP

fugazi > tjl, wipers > stooges and now joy division > tbp.

Did the Wipers prevail over the Stooges? Now that is truly beyond my ken.

In comparison, JD over tBP seems natural.

JD is clearly the more influential band, the band with a more broadly enjoyed palette, and a band with plenty of balls and breadth.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby a. james on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:58 pm

Ace wrote:
242sumner wrote:
tmidgett wrote:
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:
242sumner wrote:
hench wrote:joy division by a mile.
I have to ask, do you like any music that has balls because your taste in music is very faggy?

Homosexuals have balls.

Also, some guys listen to "bands with balls" exclusively because they feel a little insecure about their own masculinity.
Its the way they found to compensate for that :twisted:

Oh yeah, the Smiths attracted a bunch that were totally confident in their masculinity.

also, some guys listen to rock music while other guys are a bunch of pussies. worried about what people think of them, and whether that androgynous girl digs him.

not for me. i like my music like i like my me: loud, angry, and drunk.

i wanna feel alive not be put to sleep. keep your fucking joy division, and enjoy "the idiot" one last time for me.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Domagoj on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:37 pm

Of course I wasn't there at the time. I couldn't see them live. I have realised greatness of the Birthday Party only recently thru video clips and live recordings that were issued late in the 1990s.

BP studio records are ok, I like 'em just fine.

JD LPs and singles are excellent or at least very good.

I'd pick Ian Curtis' desperation rather than Nick Cave's madness. The latter is still alive, that's true.

I even listen to couple of early New Order albums and singles more than anything from Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

The only thing that works better for BP is that they had influence on some excellent American bands: Scratch Acid/the Jesus Lizard, early Laughing Hyenas, Killdozer...

- Joy Division -
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby Jujyfruits on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:56 pm

Really... yeah, JD sound always the same. Of course the songs are different, but it's always the same mood and Curtis' songwriting always seems to me like is moving in the same very narrow range. It's differente with TBP. Compare songs like "Jennifer's Veil", "Release the bats", "King Ink" and "Happy Birthday" and you have some pretty different stuff right there. I don't know if sounding always the same is that bad, I love The Fall and half the time they're recording the same song over and over but that's one great song, JD's only song puts me to sleep.

JD is booooring. TBP is pure excitement.
Jujyfruits
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby ssakmule on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:22 pm

edit
Last edited by ssakmule on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssakmule
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Dazzling Killman on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:56 pm

Jujyfruits wrote:Really... yeah, JD sound always the same. Of course the songs are different, but it's always the same mood and Curtis' songwriting always seems to me like is moving in the same very narrow range. It's differente with TBP. Compare songs like "Jennifer's Veil", "Release the bats", "King Ink" and "Happy Birthday" and you have some pretty different stuff right there. I don't know if sounding always the same is that bad, I love The Fall and half the time they're recording the same song over and over but that's one great song, JD's only song puts me to sleep.

JD is booooring. TBP is pure excitement.

you are far,,,,
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Dazzling Killman wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:BER got it right. The Birthday Party wins against any band except the Stooges.

are you sure???? for me the Wipers are better then the BP...and i can say the same about the Scratch Acid...so well

I dunno. I probably listen to the Wipers more, but I would much rather have seen the BP in their prime than the Wipers.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Dazzling Killman on Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:06 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Dazzling Killman wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:BER got it right. The Birthday Party wins against any band except the Stooges.

are you sure???? for me the Wipers are better then the BP...and i can say the same about the Scratch Acid...so well

I dunno. I probably listen to the Wipers more, but I would much rather have seen the BP in their prime than the Wipers.

Two awensome bands
in my case i like more the idea to comeback in the first '80 for see Greg Sage live...
to me he ddin't changed so much...even today i'm sure he still rocks...about Nick Cave no comment
btw..it's pretty hard to find someone at same leauge with Greg Sage...so well...if you can't see it...beh it's just your problem
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

Postby A Totem Pole on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:32 pm

that damned fly wrote:also, some guys listen to rock music while other guys are a bunch of pussies.

i like my music like i like my me: loud, angry, and drunk.

What are you a character from an 80s brat pack movie?
A Totem Pole
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Piasek on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:04 am

you failed me, PRF
Piasek
grand
grand

Postby Ace on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:22 am

Piasek wrote:
Ace wrote:
Piasek wrote:
Ace wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:The Birthday Party wins against any band except the Jesus Lizard.

FYP

wrong. i love jesus lizard, but i think bp did it first.

I've spoke about my feelings on this in another thread, but this elusive "it" is something totally arbitrary seeing as both bands had a separate aesthetic. I'm aware that it's a matter of taste but I don't see why people are always comparing each band to each other.

case in point: the jesus lizard were undeniably an AMERICAN band. This is a defining aspect of their aesthetic, and their sound, to me. I'm not saying this is the reason I prefer them, but it inevitably separates them from the birthday party in a big way.

alright, i understand jesus lizard, but joy division???

Can't help ya there, I totally hate Joy Division. Aside from 2 songs of theirs, maybe, I found them to be completely underwhelming. Vanity music, totally.

EDIT: I realize some people might object to my last comment. I'm sorry but I can't help it, I always felt that this band was sort of in line with that book "beautiful feelings for beautiful people" - not fake, just sort of dramatic.

Of course, then again, TBP were BEYOND dramatic. But they have Rowland S. Howard. So they win.
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Dazzling Killman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:50 am

Ace wrote:
Piasek wrote:
Ace wrote:
Piasek wrote:
Ace wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:The Birthday Party wins against any band except the Jesus Lizard.

FYP

wrong. i love jesus lizard, but i think bp did it first.

I've spoke about my feelings on this in another thread, but this elusive "it" is something totally arbitrary seeing as both bands had a separate aesthetic. I'm aware that it's a matter of taste but I don't see why people are always comparing each band to each other.

case in point: the jesus lizard were undeniably an AMERICAN band. This is a defining aspect of their aesthetic, and their sound, to me. I'm not saying this is the reason I prefer them, but it inevitably separates them from the birthday party in a big way.

alright, i understand jesus lizard, but joy division???

Can't help ya there, I totally hate Joy Division. Aside from 2 songs of theirs, maybe, I found them to be completely underwhelming. Vanity music, totally.

EDIT: I realize some people might object to my last comment. I'm sorry but I can't help it, I always felt that this band was sort of in line with that book "beautiful feelings for beautiful people" - not fake, just sort of dramatic.

Of course, then again, TBP were BEYOND dramatic. But they have Rowland S. Howard. So they win.

Really like Rowland S. Howard...he made some cool projects...
in "Ho Ho"...he seems to be Cave,,,eh eh
btw...Ace if you hate the Joy Division..it means that your music taste are not so good...
you can't love them...ok...but hate...beh it's a bit too much
Last edited by Dazzling Killman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Ace on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 am

Dazzling Killman wrote:Really like Rowland S. Howard...he made some cool projects...
if you hate the Joy Division..it means that your music taste are not so good...you can't love them...ok...
but hate...beh it's a bit too much

Whatever. Believe me, you're not the only person who says my taste sucks. Just wait until you hear what I think of the Velvet Underground...

After all, I'm young. "Give me a few years"
DrAwkward wrote:Hyperbole. It's a device i enjoy from time to time.
Ace

Postby Dazzling Killman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:57 am

Ace wrote:
Dazzling Killman wrote:Really like Rowland S. Howard...he made some cool projects...
if you hate the Joy Division..it means that your music taste are not so good...you can't love them...ok...
but hate...beh it's a bit too much

whatever

I just think that hate this band is not normal...the JD has been unique...
they were original...with a new sound that no one is ever arrived to touch....ok you are free to hate them...but it's without any sense...
...also if you can't reconize their amazing talent...you are blind...no doubt
fedele alla linea
Dazzling Killman
les nessman
les nessman

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap